Montello area

m1fan

Very Active Member
I was looking at property for a retirement home in the Montello area. Can anyone comment on the area? Seems secluded...

M1fan,
My inlaws retired in montello. It is isolated. Thats what I like about it! The property is cheap. You can regularly get a lot in town for $2000. They enjoy ATVing and there are plenty of places to ride. I was just up there and am thinking that I might buy a place across the street from them. It is a trashy town though and thats ok with me cause I mind my own business. My inlaws are always having people over and BBQing at there other retired folks. He started out by buying a couple of lots and wants to expand a little more with two more lots. In the next couple of years I will be established over there with my own land and toys. The kicker is the hunting is sweet for elk and deer! We traveled to Grouse Creek Wednesday which is 30-40 miles from there and is a nice little valley with less of an established town than Montello but it is a little cleaner. I haven't looked into buying any land over there though.

Yes, the trains run through that town many times per day. We elk hunted out that way last fall, and I was amazed at how much train traffic there was. The tracks run right through town.

I would visit the area first before investing in a place you want to spend your precious retirement years in. I was there last weekend and found the people in this small town very friendly but the ranch sites really varied from decent to something less than desirable. The town has a very small store and gas station, and a couple of bars which both served food. I guess it all depends on what you're looking for. Some people enjoy the liberty and freedom of not worrying about what others think about their property or living up to restrictive covenents that home owner associations demand. I felt bad for the ones that really kept up their place but had neighbors that didn't put forth the same effort. It appears that someone invested a lot in getting roads cut and power to the ranch sites. I don't want to offend any of the fine citizens living in Montello but it appeared to be a depressed economy. It was a less than I had expected and hoped for. They claim the hunting is good North of there in Grouse Creek UT area where the water is better, and also to the West in Toano Range. If the land prices seemed to be unusually cheap, there is probably a good reason for it. Best of luck finding the right place to call your retirement home.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom