moose advice please

muleymaniac81

Of all the animals in North America, i want to hunt and have a good chance at a moose more than any other species. My wife has told me that she wants a moose on the wall, so if I'm gonna spend the money to go on a hunt, why not go try to get what I want? What I need to know is, if you guys could spend your hard earned money on a hunt, where would it be (what state), what unit, and would you go guided or self-guided so if you failed, you could go back in a couple years? I work 60-70 hours a week and can barely find time to work on the new house, much less work a second job. I make around 95K gross, net around 65K, but I have 3 kids, so cost is a consideration, but not really huge. I have looked into Idaho, but the tags that have a decent draw odds, have a horrible success rate. Alaska is a dream of mine, but the cost is quite a bit greater, and guides are very expensive though they give a huge advantage in success rate. I am extremely interested and if anyone could give me suggestions, I would be greatly indebted. Thanks for your help and consideration.
Mitch

I think in most, if not all states, you have to draw a tag which is nearly impossible without points. I would put in for Maine and some surrounding states and definitely try Canada. Alaska is probably a bit higher than Canada so it could be a possibility. I've heard New Foundland is loaded with moose among the other provinces. Let us know what you decide. I have been applying all my life in Montana and have never drawn. Canada and Alaska will be on my list in the near future.

Try Red Willow Outfitters in Alberta. We hunted bears up there with Todd Lowen the owner and his guides are great. I know they kill some big moose every year with clients and I want to say its only around 5500.00. Google red willow outfitters and you will see his website.

WW0801

I would look up Papa bear adventures(bethel AK), dad and I went this year. He doesn't guide but puts you on the moose! We had a great moose hunt all 1 1/2 hours of it :)
Our top 2 priorities were price and quality of outfitter. We got both! oh and 2 great bulls too.
It was a great experience and wish I could I hunt with Steve every year.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

If you want a big moose go to the Yukon or BC. Save your money, do it once, and do it right. There is no comparison between a big Alaska/Yukon moose and a Canada or Shiras moose. I have been fortunate to hunt moose in Utah, the Yukon, BC, and Alaska. The moose I shot in the Yukon last year is in a class of its own as far as horn size and body size and my Canada moose was a book moose. I am not sure exactly what you are after but I would save up and go to the Yukon or BC. I can name several outfitters I have been with or would go with if you want any information. Good luck with your search.

I killed a really nice Wyoming Shiras Moose that is on my wall right now (44") and it is as big as I could have hoped for. But in the moose world he is a dink compared to the Alaskan/Canadian Moose. I second the notion that you save your pennies for a few years and head north. Trying to draw a tag in the states is like winning the lottery, only you still only have a 50/50 chance of killing a nice moose.
Good luck

So, I'm hearing a no on Idaho? I've got a uncle-in-law that lives in ID and he sees moose on a regular basis, but also protected grizzly and protected (thanks dems) wolves. I'm thinkin', despite the draw odds, I would be better off to save the money and go to Canada or AK.?. I'm sorry to keep bothering you guys and gals, but to me, this is a big deal. I can afford only 1 hunting trip every 2-4 years, as the agreement is 1 week of hunting, 3 weeks of family vacation. So, if I get to do this, it will be in 2010, and by then, if Obama gets elected, the only hunting for moose will be in Canada anyways. I am honestly worried about our futures and can say that if the dems win later today, I will be seriously considering ex-patriation to Canada or somewhere where my wealth won't be divided between the rich and the poor (sounds like comunism to me), am I alone on this, and will Canada accept me (I drink a lot fof Canadian whiskey)? Thanks for the replies and good luck and great hunting to all,
Mitch

I went on a moose hunt in the northwest territories this year with Nahannie Butte outfitters. My father killed 64 1/2 inch 240" bull and I killed a 68 1/2 inch 215" bull. The hunt was awesome and would recommmend it to anyone. Save your money and go on a good hunt. These guys are 100% for the past 11 years with rifle hunters

Hey Mitch

Save your $$$ and come to Canada. We will accept you even if you drink cheap Canadian Whiskey :)

I guide for a moose outfitter in North central BC. We have good moose w/ and avg 45" on our drive in and 50" in our fly-in. If you want bigger than that, then Northern BC, Yukon, Alaska and in my opinion the best place for big moose, the Northwest Territories are the place to go. If you want bigger bone, then the price of the hunt goes up. Moose hunts used to be cheap, but now they are getting up there, along with all other species. I would not wait to long as I see some places in Alaska have gone up considerably in the last 2 years. I know the Canadian prices will follow suit.

Things you need to think about are;
- are you hunting for just a mount?? What are your goals?? Any moose, 50", 60+" or a book moose.
- are you looking to bring back the meat, which IMO, is the best out there, besides sheep.
- The cost of flying your trophy home, including meat will be expensive. Driving can help cut those costs, to a certain extent, but it looks like you are pressured for time, with just a week to hunt, so flying will be your best option.
- when to go, pre-rut, rut or post rut??
- How much are you willing to spend on a trophy moose hunt??

PM me if you have any questions and I will try to help as much as I can.

Cheers

SS

idaho is kicking out some huge bulls right now. most all the other western states that offer moose you really dont have a shot at all of even drawing one for SEVERAL years.

Idaho is your best shot at a shiras. Not saying to not consider canada or AK but for the lower 48, ID is definately your best bet. there are several units that you have decent draw odds and can harvest a great bull. Especially if you hire a good outfitter if that is your gig.

good luck.

Nahanni is a great place especially for sheep. The Lancaster's are top notch. So sad to hear about Cam passing away this year. I have hunted with Bart and Stan in BC and their operation there is top notch as well. Group place for mixed bag hunt. Plus they are right on the BC/Yukon border and are considered Canadian moose but the one my friend shot scored 214 and change and in my mind was no doubt an Alaskan/Yukon. 64" Wide, huge body, etc. Plus they have some great mountain caribou hunting as well as Stone Sheep, Mtn. Goat, and Grizzly.

I hunted moose with a friend in Southern Idaho this year. He scouted for 20+ days and harvested a great bull on the opener. The F&G told him it was the biggest bull from that unit in 7+ years he was C.O. in that area. I have hunted Idaho several times, mostly southern Idaho, and this is the only trophy moose I have seen.

I have never hunted Northern BC, Yukon, or the NW Terr for moose, but I do have experience in Montana (1 self-guided), Saskachawan (1 guided), Alberta (2 guided), Alaska (lived there) and Wyoming (scouting-I can't draw a tag). IMHO, unless you can draw an area (good luck, it took 20 years to draw MT)that you know and have scouted, a guide is your best bet even in the lower 48. Moose are huge, even the Shiras, and it is a major job getting one out of the woods. I think that is why you see so many photos of 35" Shiras-they were next to the road! Plus, it isn't always that easy to find a good bull.
I have had one awesome hunt in Alberta (bear) and 3 disasters (all moose-2 AB and 1 SK). I have had horrible luck in Canada, and it probably has a direct correlation to the prices of the hunts. I don't have much $, but love to hunt and have tried to go on the cheap end. Big mistake. Save up and spend the extra and go with a high quality operation if you go guided. I wish that I had gone on 1 quality guided hunt and had quality guides/outfits versus 3 crappy hunts. Same goes for Alaska. I know of many jippo outfitters and some quality ones. The prices generally reflect who is who.
Get many references and don't be blinded by your own desires. Think it through all the way.
A DIY hunt can be as successful or as crappy as you make it. Lots of homework and an honest assessment of your abilities is an absolute before you do a DIY moose.
Also, it costs a lot of $ to do a DIY hunt, especially in Alaska. Just imagine what it costs to purchase guide quality equipment and try and make it pay off for a part time business?
I really like to do it myself and will look into Papa Bear as his operation is consistently mentioned with good reviews. Whatever you do, just make sure that you do your homework and eliminate as many of the potential problems long before you go in the field.
Good Luck

wymoosehunter,
If you have any questions on Papa Bear I'd be more than happy to help you out and answer them. Great Great outfit!

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Not sure how many years of licenses it would take to draw a good ID hunt, but that and the tag alone will go a long ways to a AK or Canada hunt......And Shiras do not get as big. Period.

We did Sportsman Air in AK, DIY. Took 66 and 56 monster bulls. Top rate with a total cost of about $8,000 each. That's cheap of an AK top rate moose hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom