Moose hunt suggestions

Huntmaster

My next major hunt I would like to do is a moose hunt. For those that have hunted them what do you recommend Alaska, or Canada and why. Also do you have any recommendations for good outfitters and what I am looking at as far as cost goes for a guided moose hunt. Most tags in the west are now one in 3 lifetime odds for one so I figure if I want one I better get figuring it out. Thanks in advance for help and suggests. Pm me if you would like.

You need to do a little research and decide if you want a Shiras, Canadian or Alaska-Yukon moose.

The prices vary from about 5K all the way UP to the moon.

Do you want a backpack drop-hunt in Alaska? Most say they would never do it again, too much meat packing and/or low success.
On the other end of the spectrum; Do you want a fully guided 14 day horseback hunt?

It will all depend on what will make YOU happy.

Good luck in your quest!
Zeke

i am looking into a hunt in alberta canada. $5,300 for an october rut hunt or 3,800 for a november post rut hunt. any suggestions from anyone that has hunted moose in alberta?

alaska has bby far the biggest bulls, you can honestly just charter flights into the back country, just make sure you study your maps. alaska isnt for the novice diy moose hunter. its big country and you have to be able to look at an area and say this holds moose. also be ready to work, if you arent seeing moose in they drainage your hunting you have to be willing to hike 5+ miles with your camp to the next one to find moose. I HIGHLY recoomend a float trip, you cover far more ground and moose literally stand on shore as you float past. high population density for a unit in alaska is like 1.1 moose per sq mile, there are areas that have 10 times that amount and areas 10 times that size without any. a diy alaska moose hunt will cost about as much as a canadian guided moose hunt. so if you want a sure thing on a 52'' bull go to canada, if you want the possible opportunity to shoot a 68+ inch bull that weighs 1500 pounds then go to alaska

if you do go to alaska and opt for the guide option go with Deltana outfitters, best in state

Check out papa bear adventures in AK. Great operation and honest. It is a drop hunt and they have different types of area depending on what you are looking for in a hunt. If I didn't have so many other species to hunt, I'd book them for a 3rd moose hunt and go every year...

When we went with them last year it was about $5300 door to door for my dad and me to fly up there, hunt cost and to ship back meat and antlers. We only brought back 150lbs of meat though. My dad also has an alaska airlines credit card, so every year he gets one free ticket. So we split the cost of flying up there and it saves a few hundred $$$$.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

canadamoosehunt2012015_zps77943d2c.jpg

canadamoosehunt2012013_zps5c483037.jpg

I just got back from a British Columbia moose hunt.

They will kill a few 50 inch moose in Alberta but they also kill a lot of 30 to 36 inch moose also. Alberta will probably be an ATV, truck, walking hunt.

Northern BC will be horseback with cabins. BC can also be a mixed bag hunt for mountain goat, moose, elk and grizzly. This area of has point restrictions (has to be three points for brow tine or 10 points on one side) because of this there isn't going to be many moose taken less than 40 inches. I think the representative moose for this area would be 45 to 50 inches with the ocassional one going 50 some inches. But the BC hunt will cost more than Alberta, $9,000 to $10,000.

$10,000 would be low end for Alaska guided hunts.For that you would probably carry a pack, sleep on the ground and eat MREs and spam. The higher end hunts will be $14,000 to $18,000. The Yukon and Northwest Territories will be $15,000 to $18,000 also.

Of course Alaska Yukon moose are going to be 50 inches up. In the Alaska range they had to be 50 inches to be legal.

Which areas are the most successful? Probably the high end Canada or Alaska.

The hunting in British Columbia was slow this year, the weather was warm with 70 degree days. Some of the hunters had multiple tags and went home without an animal.

Good luck with your hunt.

My expereince with Deltana Outfitters was not nearly so positive. I would rank them average, at best. Not the worst around, but certainly not the best.
Bill

Not all alaska OTC units have 50" and brow tine requirements...
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

>Anybody have any guide suggestions in
>Alberta?

Call Todd at 406-450-6300 or 403-653-1565

The posts above are correct. Around $5k for alberta moose and average moose around 40ish inches. With big boys coming in around 55". Todd is a good guy. I hunted with him last year and will be leaving to hunt again with him on Friday for a archery rut hunt. Tell him Adam Pulley recommended him.

You can go to their facebook page and get an idea of some of the bulls they kill each year.

https://www.facebook.com/rugged.outfitting

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom