Moose hunting Alaska

Axman280

Was curious if any one would have any information on a good spot to go moose hunting in Alaska. Would like to stick to an over the counter unit. I would like to get off the beatin path and get back in somewhere. Weather it's boat,raft, plane. Thanks in advance.

LAST EDITED ON Apr-30-13 AT 01:31AM (MST)[p]Axeman,Alaska is a huge state and each unit in the main portion of the state (not the panhandle)generally holds Moose. There are quite a few good areas if a person is willing to hunt hard. My recommendation would be to spend a little time perusing the Alaskan Adventures forum on this site. There is quite a bit of information on Moose Hunting and some on areas as well. You ask a very broad question to which there isn't a single definitive answer, at least not an answer that will get into exact areas while on on an open forum. Without getting into the regulations, I like Moose hunting in NW Alaska, Western Alaska, and Eastern Alaska.

You will want to hire a transporter to get you into a spot, away from the crowds. The Alaskan Adventures forum here lists several good charter outfits: Papa Bear Adventures, 40 Mile Air, Willow Air, Trailridge Air, Alaska West Air, just to name a few. Google up others and take a look to see what they offer. I assume by your tone, you are looking for a DIY hunt and not guided? On the Alaska Adventures forum, there is a guide by the name of FullCryHounds who has posted some outstanding information on Alaskan hunting for the non resident.

Another piece of advice is to decide on what kind of adventure you want up here, Drop hunt, Float hunt, Guided hunt, etc...Alaska is not cheap to hunt, especially when you throw in charters. You can spend anywhere from around $600-$5000 just on charters, depending on where you want to go. Everybody has their preference on the style of hunting. Read through the Alaskan forum to get an idea of each style of hunt. Many folks have posted their Alaska hunting experiences there.

Sorry to be long-winded, but we need more information to give you a better answer. Start with the AK forum here, decide on the style/method you want, and how much money you have available. Those items will dictate where you can hunt up here.

Hopefully I didn't come across as a JACK@ZZ, because that is not my intent.

If you have further questions, feel free to ask. I'll do what I can do give you an honest answer, at least to the best of my knowledge.

Good luck,

Garion33

+1 on the costs. We were up there in 2008 for a fishing trip out of Yakutat. We chartered a Cesna that took us all of 6 miles and the roundtrip costs were much higher than I would have expected. For some reason $300/person is what I remember. There were 6 of us too. Easy money for them, but they have a short window to make it when they can. Everything else is super expensive too. Try buying a 12 pack or some fresh vegetables. I can vividly remember paying $87 a night for a bunk in a bedroom at someone's house too while we fished out of town.

If you do go try to fly Air Alaska...best airline IMO.

Thanks for the info. I will sure look at that other web site you had mentioned. As I am new to this site, and don't realize all the options omit yet.

I probably would have to agree that I left a pretty broad question there, but just thought I would start there, and see what type of help I would/could get.

But I don't mind hunting the hard stuff, I like it more than the easy stuff, that way you can kinda get away from everything. I live in Idaho and we backpack for days on end elk hunting, in some of the nastiest country around. So ya, I would have to say I like the challenge.

So.. At this point I am open to see what options I have and pick one from there.

But thanks again for the help for sure.

Looks like that papa bear outfit might be a good place to start for sure. Looks like they offer a few good option as far as boat/ raft or drop by plane.

Question, what if a guy wanted to drive up to Alaska, use four wheelers to get back in somewhere, then maybe hike from there.

Yes it is possible to hunt moose using 4-wheelers and then walk. Logistics can get complicated in Alaska. Lots of people own 4 wheelers, side by sides, argos, ...etc. It can be difficult to get away from other hunters on 4-wheelers. If you bring an atv be sure you are prepared with a winch and aggressive mudlite type tires to make getting unstuck easier.

Keep in mind that Alaska moose are not the same moose you have in Idaho. I have lived and hunted in Wyoming and Utah and packing elk is no easy task. A mature Alaskan moose will make a bull elk look small and typically you will need to pack it in your backpack to your truck, atv, raft, boat or airplane. You don't want to kill a moose very far from your mode of transportation.

I have hunted with Papa Bear and 40 Mile Air before and they are both good air taxis. P.M. me if you want more specific info.

+1 papa bear adventures, been with them twice and will likely go again one day.

As far as a drop vs float hunt, we originally wanted to do a float hunt too. After thinking about having to set up camp and tear it down basically every day usually in the prime hunting times and being on a schedule to make the pick up point, we decided to do a drop hunt instead.

Yes there are advantages/disadvantages to both hunts we just liked the idea of a drop hunt better. Plus Steve (papa bear) has places that give you lots of places to hunt from one drop hunt location.

You can pm me for more if you want.
My best advice is not to wait, do it NOW! We put it off for 10 years :-( That was a huge mistake.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

That is how the majority of Alaskan residents hunt...by 4 wheeler or trax, then by Jetboat, then by plane if they have one. Lived up there twice...everything I could get a 4 wheeler to was overhunted some guys did okay but went back over 25 miles and hunted same areas every year, def no to 4-wheeler option.

I would guess a four wheeler hunt would be tough. Get a transporter to drop you. As you fly over the tundra, you will see tracks that go in for miles and miles, and at the end of the tracks you will see big, monster truck type vehicles made for driving through the tundra. You have to get in past them. When I went in 2007, there were locals getting flown in 30-40 miles just to get to there four wheelers. They just stored all their equipment by a landing strip all year and hunted starting from that point.

I'll throw in a recommendation for 40 Mile Air also. Had a great experience with them.

Do it right, don't spend all that time and money to try and save a couple thousand to do it on your own. Fly out and go where you have a high chance of getting a bull.

Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Let me guess, you drive a 1 ton with oak trees for smoke stacks, 12" lift kit and 40" tires to pull a single place lawn mower trailer?

Some outstanding information posted here. Don't limit yourself to only OTC units. Draw units may be tougher to draw but if you do, it will pay off. On a typical hunt in the unit we hunt, we see an average of 2-4 legal bulls every day. But we hold off looking for bulls over 60". Compare that to an OTC unit that you may see 1 or 2 bulls your entire hunt, or none. Go with one of the established charters or an outfitter. Learn the difference between the two and what they can legally offer and do for you, there is a big difference between the two. Here's another site with a ton off good info.
http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/forum.php

Wow,,, I would have to say thanks for all the advice from everyone. There was sure lots of good advice being giving as what option would be a good one, and some good points as well. Now looks like I just need to get to planing a trip. Thanks again.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom