Moose Mount

Iowan

My taxidermist is asking how I want my moose mounted form/position?

I know I want it looking straight on but not sure about other head positioning.

Anyone have a picture or form they think is a good idea?

I have no idea where I am hanging it but someday, I hope to have it over a large stone fireplace in my lake house - can't afford it though if I keep moose hunting.

Thanks.

AK Moose Russ from Side.jpg

AK Moose Russ Front.jpg

AK Moose Russ Holding Rack.jpg

Really nice moose .
If you put him over the fireplace, he will get dirty from the smoke, etc. Find a spot a bit away from the fireplace.

Could almost add on to your house with how much they are charging these days for a drop off hunt. 😂. I feel like I’ve seen this posted before but it looks like a bull from renfros area? I remember when those hunts were 2k 😂😂

I give away most my moose racks so I’m not the one to answer the question. But please share once done!

Im certainly no expert on this, but if he’s going to be up high, I’d make sure the mount has him looking down quite a bit. A buddy has a 70 something inch bull in his trophy room and it’s hard to see much other than the fronts with how high it’s hung and the head position.

Nobody holds their moose antlers for photos angled back like most mounts pose the antlers. You can drop the nose more on upright moose mounts, which rolls the antlers up more. There is no better way to show the antlers than a euro- which is the pose I'd choose. You could work the antlers/skull cap onto a replacement euro.
For reference, look at the difference of antler placement between the photo of the bull, which is approx how most forms would pose the antlers, and the photo of holding the antlers. Of course that's my opinion.
If you really want a shoulder mount, then get an upright pose turned either way. Then have the taxidermist alter the form to drop the nose a few inches and roll the antlers up. The best would have it with a receiver in the brisket to mount it on a pipe/rod so the mount can go on a bracket on the wall, to allow it to rotate some (or even placed on a pedestal).

Nobody holds their moose antlers for photos angled back like most mounts pose the antlers. You can drop the nose more on upright moose mounts, which rolls the antlers up more. There is no better way to show the antlers than a euro- which is the pose I'd choose. You could work the antlers/skull cap onto a replacement euro.
For reference, look at the difference of antler placement between the photo of the bull, which is approx how most forms would pose the antlers, and the photo of holding the antlers. Of course that's my opinion.
If you really want a shoulder mount, then get an upright pose turned either way. Then have the taxidermist alter the form to drop the nose a few inches and roll the antlers up. The best would have it with a receiver in the brisket to mount it on a pipe/rod so the mount can go on a bracket on the wall, to allow it to rotate some (or even placed on a pedestal).
+1. Team Euro, all the way.
IMG_20240410_133157.jpg

But given that you skull capped him and are wanting a shoulder mount, find a taxi that would give you a head down, one side lower than the other as much as possible. Mimic the head swaying swing thing those swamp donkeys do

In hindsight I think I would do a Euro, but that ship sailed. Thanks for all the input.
The right taxidermist should be able to put that skull cap onto a replica euro and make it look pretty good. Or you could do the classic type of panel mount like Homer posted a link for. Assuming you have the cape for a shoulder mount, you could always sell it and likely make a bit of progress towards the next hunt.

Screw that, Im gonna see if he'll send me his antlers since I will never afford an Alaskan hunt now days. Ill pay for shipping too!
If you’re really serious about buying antlers and paying the shipping check @grenda on Instagram. He usually sells a bunch every year along with wolf and wolverine skins etc. His moose and brown bear hunt videos aren’t half bad either.

If you’re really serious about buying antlers and paying the shipping check @grenda on Instagram. He usually sells a bunch every year along with wolf and wolverine skins etc. His moose and brown bear hunt videos aren’t half bad either.

I follow him.
He's really good!!

Whatever you do put a little bit of a turn to the head. I have mount I did straight in that I really regret. Putting a head turn makes so much difference in adding some life

Whatever you do put a little bit of a turn to the head. I have mount I did straight in that I really regret. Putting a head turn makes so much difference in adding some life
Especially moose, straight on moose es no bueno. Here’s a pic of my ND canadian moose. He’s in the shop awaiting a few other mounts before I rearrange the living room. I can get the form info if you need it. I did a similar pose with opposite turn and different ears for my Idaho shiras. AK/Yukon will go right between em on the wall if i get one this fall.
IMG_2540.jpeg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom