Moose question

El_Gringo

Hello all,
My 66 year old Dad just drew a Wasatch moose tag as a resident. I am in AZ and I will be coming up to help him. I can take 2 weeks off work. My question is, which 2 weeks do you suggest would be the best?
The season goes from Sept. 17th to Oct. 20th. If you only had 2 weeks, when would you hunt?
Keep in mind, Rifle elk starts the same day, muzzleloader elk starts Sept. 26th. And when is the peak rut?
Thanks everybody in advance, Gringo

I would highly recommend a guide by the name of Kearley with Hightop Outfitter especially if you don't have much time to scout. PM me if you consider a guide I can put you in touch with him.

If it were me I'd take the first two weeks of the hunt... Scout/camp 3-4 days before the season opens find some Bulls and enjoy the hunt with your Dad... Should be a great time...

I had the tag a few years ago, I hunted the first 20 days wished I would have waited and hunted the end.

After 20 days I killed the best moose I found, but the rut was just getting going good when I killed. The bigger factor is the leaves coming off the trees, the later the better for Visability.

I wouldn't worry much about the other hunters, most hunters I talked to were more then willing to share information about moose they had seen and it actually helped me. Also don't forget about the extended archery area, tons of moose up there and you can still use a rifle if you want.

I'd hunt the rut which is right around Oct 1st. The weather will be cooler, the bulls will come out of their hidy-holes and they're more vocal.
Avoid the elk crowds and start about when the muzzleloader elk season begins but before the spike season.
That's my 2 cents but any old time might produce a fine trophy, with a little luck.
Zeke

I have hunted the unit once for myself and a half dozen times with others. We've killed some nice bulls-- by most standards. If you can scout and kill a bull the first days of the hunt then that is a decent way to get it done.

But my suggestion would be to wait and hunt the last 2 weeks. By then the leaves are off the trees. Elk hunters are not an issue (in fact sometimes they help with info). You can glass much better and it seems the bulls are easier to find.

The first week, the bulls are holed up in dense areas and just don't move much. The the 2nd-3rd weeks the bulls will be moving or sitting on a cows. The 3rd week to the end the bulls will move some and are easier to find. I watch too many guys get worn-out the first week of the hunt and then just fill their tags. It is a long hunt, enjoy the time.

-------------------------
www.sagebasin.com
-------------------------

It's all in your comfort level we've killed three good bulls over the years in mid September... And just like Packout said they've killed great bulls in early October... It's all fun, pick the time that works best for you and make the most of it... Above all have fun because moose hunts don't come around to often...

I appreciate all the responses. It was a lot of help. I'll be sure to let you all know how it goes. It's gonna be a LONG summer. Thanks, Gringo

be mentally ready, moose hunts are taxing on the mind. The Wasatch is kind of in a weird place right now when it comes to moose, it was on a down trend for a lot of years, now it feels like it's getting better. There's so much ground to cover force yourself to focus your efforts and don't get caught chasing greener pastures/ghosts on the word of strangers. Find an area you like and work it, you'll turn up a good bull!

https://www.facebook.com/strawberrybayoutfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom