Moose RUT

last week of sept/first week of Oct.

There sure are a lot of hunters with unit 22 tags this year.

I hunted 26 afew years back and they were full blown on opener. Oct. 1...In unit 23 we had to throw rocks at them to get off the trail while hiking into elk camp around the first too.. They were rutting and plain stupid!!! I
have a friend this year with the tag in 22, sounds like the same time frame.
Anyone hunt 22?

I drew area 21

Does anyone have any information about area 21 for moose? I've been scouting 3 times....no bulls.

RE: I drew area 21

I've seen bulls off the main trail near Turquoise lake. One other place is near the border between 22 and 21 up Parody drae. A couple years ago I talked with a hunter who claims he saw a bull for a couple days in a row right off the road just inside the timber that was at least 50". The boundary between 21 and 22 in this area is tough to discern, but there are usually moose there. From what I have observed, the bulls will be in totally different areas once the rut begins.

Cody

www.cqheinbaugh.com

Hey there. Thanks so much for the info. I'll take all the information I can get. Turquois Lake is one of the places I originally wanted to scout. I tried taking horses up there over the 4th of July weekend, coming up Flat Creek, but there was still 3 feet of snow up there. Are the bulls you see up there worth going in that far? I have also looked in the area of Parody draw as well going into shoal creek. I'm just a little nervous after having gone up there three separate trips and no bulls. I want to harvest a good moose, but after being a resident and having fianlly drawn, I don't know if I'll ever draw again. Where are you located?

The few I saw near Turquoise lake were average 36" bulls.
Once the rut starts, there will be more moose around Parody draw. The area around Shoal falls usually has a couple moose also. If you hunt near the first of October, you should see and hear plenty of moose. While I was hunting 22 a few years ago, I talked with a man who also had a 21 moose license. He got a 42" bull off of the Highline trail near Little Granite creek.
I live near Deaver, which is between Powell and Lovell.

Cody

www.cqheinbaugh.com

Thanks for the info. Were the bulls you saw up by Turquoise younger bulls with room to grow? I have looked at that highline trail on maps, and that's great to know it has produced in the past. If I'm right, the Parody draw area is right on the border between 21 and 22 correct? It's unclear which ridgeline is the boundary, it can be interpreted a few different ways. Did you ever get any clarification on that? Nice site by the way. Thanks so much for the info. I'll definitely keep you updated on how I do.

I looked at the regulations and the divide between 22 and 21 is Riling Draw road, not Parody draw. Parody draw is east of Riling draw in 22. The boundary follows the road and then the divide between Dell creek and Shoal creek. The dividing ridge is somewhat broad in places and may be hard to discern in areas.
The bulls I've seen at Turquoise lake were probably 4 or 5 years old. I was last there in 2007.
If you hunt during the rut, you will definitely hear moose. If you don't, you may want to try another spot.
Good luck.

Cody

www.cqheinbaugh.com

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom