Moose success...

spotnstalkID

Well, 1/2 success anyways...

Just got back from our moose hunt in Northern Idaho and I have to say it was one of the best and most exciting hunts I have been on. Both my hunting partner and I had tags. Mark filled his tag the evening of opening day however I never got to notch my tag. I have to say, even though I did not get to tag one it was a great trip.

I'll start with a phone call I got about a week before opening day. A buddy of mine called me to tell me he spotted a 48-50" bull and he wanted to show me where it had been. Two days before season opened I went with him out to that area to look around. Never saw the bull but was pretty sure he was nearby.

Day before opening day we scouting that hill, saw a couple other bulls but no sign of the one I wanted to see.

Opening day of a 7 day hunt we headed to the exact same location that my buddy saw the bigger bull to call. We got up there and as we were walking in to the area to call we noticed moose tracks that had just torn up the road, patches of moose hair and sign everywhere that 2 bulls had battled it out right there that night before opening day. Needless to say it got us pretty excited knowing there was just 2 bulls there so we started calling. We only ended up calling in 1 cow but were optimistic that the bulls were "right there" somewhere. We headed back to the truck and drove up the road about 1/4 mile and as we were driving we heard some crashing down on the hill below us. We got out to investigate. First thing I saw was a cow moose. I saw her standing still and still heard brush breaking pretty heavily below her so I kept walking to see what was going on. All of a sudden we had one bull come running up the hill (small bull) but we kept our eye on him. We followed him as he crossed back over the road and into a clear cut above us. we walked up into the clear cut and lost sight of him. As I stood up on a stump overlooking below us in the clear cut where that bull had gone I heard a branch snap behind/above us. I watched for a few seconds and heard another branch snap. All of a sudden I saw antlers cresting the hill. All I could see were antlers at this point. The bull was walking sidehill above us so I gave him a "grunt". He stopped dead in his tracks. We grunted again and he grunted right back, turned and headed straight at us. He crested the hill at about 20 yards but unfortunately he was smaller than what we were hoping for (actually I don't think there is a place for the word "small" anywhere in a sentance that includes the word moose).

We headed back to the truck and down the hill. As we were driving along the road just below another clear cut a few miles away we rounded a corner to see a nice little bull in the road. This bull was a pretty average bull for the area but not what I was looking for. We took a few pictures of him:
4521407a51d73df3.jpg

452140e556803ab0.jpg

As we were looking at him he started to walk away so we grunted at him. Instantly we heard a grunt back but not from him. Up above in the clear cut another bull started charging in on a dead run grunting every step of the way. Literally, one grunt from us and he came hauling a$$ grunting "URRrrah" "URRrrah" every step he took. That bull got to the bottom of the clear cut about to step out on the road as he saw Mark and I and came to a dead stop. He only had one tree and some brush between him and the road he was about to step out onto. Mark was about to end his hunt on this guy. It was pretty exciting but he chose to keep looking. Here are a couple pic's of that bull as he stood behind a little tree thrashing brush and slobbering all over himself as he talked to us. He was only about 10 yards from us and he talked to us for about 10-15 minutes. It was pretty sweet.

452144ab68f3b3b0.jpg

4521453a6b2fc300.jpg

That evening we headed straight back into that area hoping to see the one we were looking for. About 45 minutes before shooting time was up we were driving and came around a corner to see a bull walking up a new clear cut. Mark instantly knew he was going to take the bull. One shot with the 7mm Mag and it didn't take another step. One tag filled, one to go. Here are a couple pic's of Mark's success.

4521475877f5a126.jpg

452147d079c3792c.jpg

After this we saw several bulls but nothing ever came along that I wanted to punch a once in a lifetime tag on. Luckily in Idaho all I have to do is wait the 2 year waiting period and I can start applying again, and I will.

The weather started warming up so much that when I left town mid-day one afternoon it was in the high 70's/low 80's for temp's again and I'm sure that had something to do with the bulls not talking as much later in the week. We called in several and saw lots more. We probably saw 3-4 bulls a day but unfortunately I'll be applying for Idaho moose in the future. Even though my tag never got filled I have to say it was one of the most exciting hunts I have ever experienced.

Now that I am home and have had a chance to look at the pictures over and over (and over and over and over...) if you look at the bull that Mark took and compare it to the bull standing behind the tree talking to us, are they the same bull??? I think they are. He took his bull about 1 to 1-1/2 miles from where we talked to that bull earlier in the day.

Below are a few more pictures I took on the trip of some moose, etc. Sorry to all the dial-up connections out there.

Jaxon

452150512f41494a.jpg

4521509630551bf8.jpg

45215115330dd919.jpg

Cow feeding with small bull in the brush behind her.

4521514634154278.jpg

45215172380cddd3.jpg

452151d93a0bb73f.jpg

452152033afc3021.jpg

A couple pic's I took above the fog line that turned out OK.

4521524b3c0a2615.jpg

452152b73dbe17a9.jpg

Right on!! Thanks for the story and all the pics. Looks like a lot of action.

awesome pics and sounds like it was a fun hunt. you were saying northern idaho, like up above priest lake?

Congrats on a great hunt. I'm sorry that it didn't work out for that 53 incher. I was hoping! Maybe the next one I'll be out there scouting for you instead of tromping around in Alaska. I hope that call worked for you.
I'll be e-mailing you.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-03-06 AT 09:06AM (MST)[p]Awesome story and pictures! I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon for my moose hunt here in Utah and you got me all fired up! Hopefully I'll have some pictures of a good bull this time next week..

Congrats to your friend on a nice bull. I have a tag in SE Idaho and went opening week to do some scouting. I head back for the first time on Thursday for 5 days to find mine. Due to some family in town, I couldn't go last weekend with my two friends that have tags too. They got one bull on the ground and said that the bulls are starting to get fired up for the rut.

I may eat tag soup on this hunt since I'm looking for a minimum 10x10 with split fronts and good paddles. If I don't find him by Thanksgiving I'll start applying again in two years and take my chances.

Anyone else with moose tags have any luck yet?

ridge- we went up this past weekend for the first two days of the season and got skunked, but it was still fun. My dad got together with a guy that pointed him in some spots to check for that worked for him when he had the tag a few years ago, and the spots worked, minus one factor that was out of our control. the bird hunters. we set up camp in the first "hot spot", and there were fresh bird feathers, shotgun shells, and dog crap right next to camp and along the road that we hiked in on. it was just bad timing, that the grouse hunters went in their a few hours before we got there, and im pretty sure turned the moose nocturnal on us, the only moose he seen was after dark in a clearing, that turned and ran when he got within 50 yards.

There was just too much sign in there not to see any moose. the first morning we hiked in about 3.5-4 miles, going to clearcut after clearcut and not seeing anything but tracks. then in the afternoon we hiked into a clearing that was just tore up. Rubs there were 8 feet tall on 6-8inch around trees, fresh tracks, beds, droppings, and after going through that clearing we didnt even bump a cow. hopefully they will calm down after a week or so. at least the bird hunters had good luck, the grouse were everywhere.

A 10X10 with split brows and good palms is a book bull. That is a tall order. I hunted a great area in Wyoming in 95 and never saw a bull approaching what you want. I certainly hope you find him, but my advice is to consider settling for just a nice bull unless you have what you are looking for already spotted.

Golfguy-
Not above Priest Lake. We were hunting unit 4 which includes all of units 4 and 4A. Basically between Hayden and Coeur D' Alene all the way over to the Montana border and a little South of I-90.

Foreman & NV4x4-
Good luck on your hunts. Just keep in mind that you can always apply again in the future. NV4x4 sounds like he has a picture in his mind of the bull he wants to take and I would advise you to not settle. You'll either get your bull or be happy to know you'll get another chance someday. Granted, a 10 x 10 will be a challenge but they are out there. Split brows on both sides is definitely not out of the question but as long as you have an idea on what you want, you'll get him someday. Hopefully this year.

Take a camera and have a great trip, both of you. I'll be expecting to see some pic's before long. Successful or not, let's hear about and see the details of the trip when you guys get back.

Jaxon

I'm sorry Foreman, I thought you were hunting Idaho too. My bad, I guess I need to learn how to read. Is Utah set up so if you draw you better harvest because it is once in a lifetime as in you can't even apply again if you are unsuccessful? If that is the case then yes, definitely a different scenario. Make the most of it but I can gaurantee you it will be a blast no matter how it goes. I hope you get a monster.

The bull that Mark took was 37", and I bet he is still shaking from the excitement. It was just a great experience from every aspect of the hunt. I hope you tag a nice one but no matter what it is I gaurantee you it will be a fun time. Good luck.

Jaxon

I guess I set my sights high and hopefully will find something in that range. Good solid fronts with long points is number one priority with the total points being secondary. I just know a lifetime is a long time to wait between tags so I have set my standards higher than I normally would for elk or deer. Unfortunately Utah doesn't have that option to eat the tag and apply again so I would be squeezing the trigger no matter what in Utah.

I hope you find the right one and I will follow up on Monday with some pictures of the hunt regardless. I already have some good film from the scouting trip on a cow and a calf drinking from a water hole.

Sounds like a good hunt Jaxon. I sure wish my dad could have shown you where that monster is...did he say if he saw him again recently, when you saw him on the way out? I still haven't talked to him, been a couple weeks.

Congrats to your bud for a nice moose.

Ernie

LAST EDITED ON Oct-09-06 AT 07:20PM (MST)[p]An update from last weeks hunting trip to SE Idaho. With all the rain and lighting I had to call a few days short in the field and hunt from the truck but I did manage to find 10 bulls and about 20 cows/calfs. From the bar I set, I found nothing even close to being a shooter. I found 1 bull out of the 10 that actually had split fronts but not much in palms and maybe 34" wide max. I had 4 bulls as close as bow range but again nothing even to get excited about. There were a couple bulls that were great on one side and hardly anything on the other. I watched two bulls fight on an open ridge and covered 1.5 miles during the fight. If I had a better camera it would have been great to catch it on video. They were screaming at each other and raking trees. I have a few pictures of bulls I saw that I captured on video that I would like to share.

Anyone have a clue as to how to post pictures? I have 4 decent pictures of bulls and a nice 4x5 muley buck I got some video of. The pictures are low res but they came from video that I captured images off of.

I figured the photo deal out. Here are the pictures. These are 3 of the 10 I saw.

Bull1A.jpg

Bull1B.jpg

Bull2A.jpg

Bull3B.jpg

Bull3C.jpg

Bull3D.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom