moose tag

You do stand a good chance if the Wyoming moose population rebounds like it was in 2000. Wyoming gave out more than double the tags we now have. If the population rebounds and if the wolf/grizzly population is brought under control then the moose point holders should be turning over at a pretty good clip. You might not ever draw a top 3 moose area, but you should be able to draw a good hunt for a 40 inch bull...hang in there!

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14 AT 04:38PM (MST)[p]You'll draw a tag if you stay the course.

Moose arent doing well all across the West, and even into the mid-west, including areas that have very little issue with wolves and gbears.

Lots of habitat and disease issues, as well as some predator issues.

Things are being looked at, and lots of money and effort is going into identifying issues and working toward solving them.

This is a 2012 report, with a 2013 report due out shortly.

http://wyomingwildlife.org/ht/a/GetDocumentAction/i/133619

My Dad drew a NR tag last year with 11 points...and took a decent bull for the area.

DSCN9407.JPG

DSCN9427.JPG

LAST EDITED ON Jan-07-14 AT 08:37PM (MST)[p]Nice bull congrats...I drew last year with 12 points (not in the random draw) and took a Boone and Crockett bull so I'm another example that it can happen...my bull pics are in the Wyoming forum....keep the faith.

To answer your question; yes you can draw with bonus points but more than likely it will be several years.

Even if it's another 10 years you'd still only spend another $750 for points. Keep going!

I would stay the course and pray for a resurgence of the moose population and when it comes you'll draw even sooner.

Good luck,
Zeke

Thanks
Everone for the suggestions, I guess I will just keep putting in and hope I don't get to old before I DRAW.
Brian

>Thanks
> Everone for the suggestions, I
>guess I will just keep
>putting in and hope I
>don't get to old before
>I DRAW.
> Brian

You can't win if you don't play...so what I'm about to say is not intended to scare you off...just trying to give your question some perspective.

I'm assuminy by your handle that you are a NR....so the numbers I'm quoting below reflect NR odds. I drew my moose tag last year with 13 NR points going into the draw.

In the 2013 moose draw, nobody in your point pool drew a bull moose tag in the prefernce point draw. Two drew w/10 points. Two more drew w/11 points. Twenty-three tags w/12 points and twenty-two tags w/13 points. Max points was 18...so the rest of the bull tags went to guys with 14+ points.

Going into the 2014 NR moose draw, there are 710 people in your point pool. There are 766 w/11 points, 685 w/12 points, 606 guys w/13 points, 370 w/14 points....and another 122 w/15+ points.

If you are serious about increasing your odds in the short term, I would start applying for a low demand unit....and actually apply every year....don't just buy the points. Lots of folks buy points rather than apply....so you just might get lucky.

Good luck!
Paul

good advise from above,agree that most P.P. holders just play the game of Build/Buy & Buy/Build points.I did so for 13 yrs,about the time I had 10 p.p. started looking into posible units of interest ? Decided wanted a unit 3 tag and this past season cashed in my 13 p.p.(1st time in draw) Went guided and took a great bull and had a great hunt experience.Bull scored out at 166 1/8 net P&Y.Apply or Buy,it maybe Your time,for that Great hunt experience ... Bruce

7250img_0497.jpg

>when is the moose and sheep
>draw

***Early May and the results will be up on the G&F website by May 9.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom