More Alton News!!!!

30inchbucks

Video to assist in determining if deer kill legal
By Ray Grass
Deseret Morning News

Information gathered from a video showing the shooting of a trophy buck during last year's general deer hunt has been turned over to the Kane County attorney.
In question is whether or not the deer was legally shot.
Barry Huntington, deputy Kane County attorney, said he received facts of the case from investigators from the Utah Division of Wildlife Resources on June 11, "and I've just started to screen the information to see about criminal charges."
The video was taken by a hunter on public land. The deer was shot on private land in the Alton area, located in the center of the highly prized Paunsaugunt deer-hunt unit in the Southern Region of the state, a little southeast of Cedar City.
An eight-foot fence is being put up around the entire town of Alton in hopes of keeping deer from getting into farmers' fields. A depredation problem last year resulted in several deer being killed. Only three sides of the fence had been completed prior to the October deer hunt.
According to Rudy Musclow, law enforcement chief for the DWR, deer and elk were able to move about through ungated holes in the fence. Just prior to the hunt, however, gates were installed that stopped wildlife movement.
The video shows elk and a large buck, with a 36-inch spread between the two branches of horns, trapped against the fence.
A hunter, with a legal Cooperative Wildlife Management Permit, attempted to shoot the buck, but the rifle misfired, said the wildlife officer. He then retrieved a second rifle and wounded the deer. It was then necessary to get a third rifle to dispose of the animal.
Utah big game law states that a deer cannot be taken by capture.
"In question is whether or not it was illegal because there was a fence on only three sides. People stopped the animals from escaping on the side that was not fenced," said Musclow.
"It's certainly questionable, but it will be up to the county attorney to determine if it was illegal."
The video also shows that the hunter was not wearing hunter orange. Hunters are required to wear at least 300 inches of hunter orange in the form of a hat, coat, sweatshirt or vest while hunting.
There are a limited number of permits issued for the Paunsaugunt Unit each season. In 2003, there were nearly 500 applications submitted for 30 permits. The unit is considered to hold some of Utah's largest bucks.
Troy Justensen, chairman of the board for Sportsmen for Fish and Wildlife, said his group contributed money to build the fence, "in order to keep deer from getting into the fields and being shot. The contractor simply wasn't able to finish the fence before the hunting season. This is a large fence. When finished it will be several miles long."
The hunter was with an outfitter at the time the deer was shot.
Huntington gave no timetable for when he would have a decision on the case.

What's really interesting in this read is towards the end of it notice Troy Justensen chairman of the board for SFW quote where he said "his group contributed money to build the fence, "in order to keep deer from getting into the fields and being shot. The contractor simply wasn't able to finish the fence before the hunting season. This is a large fence. When finished it will be several miles long."

That is really great!! That is where the money is going that SFW receives is to benefit there own! That sure isn't to benefit the average hunter. Why are they helping to build a fence on Private land!!!! Explain that one please!! Just another reason why I haven't joined SFW! I don't want my money or efforts going for fences to aid and trap deer to benefit the rich! This crap is getting out of hand!

The fence is being built because one of the landowners down there was killing deer left and right when they walked onto his property.
That was a big issue here on the site a couple years ago. SFW wanted to help with the fence construction to save those deer. No one, private landowner or not, should be killing hundreds of deer. We can't afford to lose any in this state.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

LAST EDITED ON Jul-21-04 AT 10:17AM (MST)[p]The fence being built is no where near that property.
And that 36 inch buck that was butchered was a depredation problem. Right? I think someone received 11,000 dollars for it. I think if I had bucks coming into my property that I could sell for 11,000 dollars I wouldn't be trying to get rid of them. I think there are other motives for the fence!!!! The bottom line is that everyone's money that is being raised from conservation tags, etc. is going to help Wade Heaton (another SFW official) build a fence around his property.
Oh, by the way, I think I'll join SFW so I can get a free fence. LOL!LOL!

I think you are up in the night!! LOL

I highly doubt 25 SFW board members from across the state voted to pay for a fence that would only benefit that CWMU. I know a few on the board, and like myself, they would never vote to pay for something like that.

You're crazy!!!! But comical.

Brian Latturner
MonsterMuleys.com

What is ther to investigate.... One day before the hunt gates were put up????? seems like to me this was an intentional trap to hunt a trophy deer that someone paid 11,000 dollars to hunt.

One interesting Side-Note to this:

I was at the Wildlife Board meeting last November (2003) and the Board was attempting to cut the Alton CWMU tags. This cut was reccomended by the Southern Region Biologist, who was present, to correspond with the cut in Public tags for the Paunsagaunt. Mr Heaton, (not Wade), was there to ask the Board to not reduce the Alton CWMU's permits. One of the reasons he gave as why the Alton CWMU should not have a permit reduction was the fence. He said the fence was being put up by the CWMU and that no one else was helping in the cost. Interesting to find out now that SFW was helping with a large portion of the cost. I personally do not agree with any fence which stops or significantly disturbs the natural migration of wildlife, which this fence does, (unless for public safety).

For the record I am a SFW member, plan on being continueing my membership, but I will ask some questions of what has been bantered about on this site. I definately take some of the banter on this site with a grain of salt, mostly considering the intentions of some of the Posters. Also, the rest of the video is even worse than what was shown on the news. The only reason it got released was a "mine-is-bigger-than-yours" feeling between 2 of the SFW higher-ups. At any rate, the CWMU should be fined, loose a few more tags, and issue a public apology.

Founder,
It doesn't look like I'm too far "up in the night" as you say if you check out post number 6. There's alot of truth in my words. Ummmmmm.

I don't know anything about the SFW or really what went on in this hunt, although it does sound fishy. But I think Brian made a good point, are they suppose to just let the landowners kill hundreds of deer each year because they live on their "natural migratory route"?? They gotta do something so these deer don't get sloughtered.

What's the difference between these landowners and the ones there in Alpine, who built those big homes right in the middle of the deer, and know want to kill em' all? These frickin landowners need to remember who was living there first.

If it wasn't for the landowners butchering the herds every year, the SFW would not have had to build the fence, and Mr. Richy Rich would not have poached that deer.

Its my understanding that the fence in question is being built around the town of Alton to ease some depredation issues and allow for less doe permits or no doe permits issued for the area. It is not the the same fence that was built around the Roundy property involved in the shoot and leave lay mess . I believe sfw bought the Roundy fence. Its my understanding the Heatons are paying for the Alton fence. They did ask for more tags than the biologist recomended in order to fund the fence. They got more tags with some influencial help. They then proceeded to donate one of those tags back to the influencial help for fund raising.I hope thats vague enough . I dont want to level any accusations. The bottom line is the fence being built to keep deer out was used to trap a buck in. I dont Know if they broke the law . I do know it was wrong. They defintly broke thier own code of ethics listed on the CWMU website and they deserve to be penalized. Us folkes down here on the low end of the unit are trusting them to take care of our deer herd. Last I checked there still public deer . Their in a position of trust up there and need to maintain a high standard or have it taken away.

If I owned property inside the town of Alton and somebody started fencing it off, without my consent, things would quickly end up in a court of law. Too bad everything eventually ends up being decided by a judge. It looks like the people who have their cake and are eating it to would just accept that enough is enough!
Human nature, I guess! It's never enough!
Don't screw with the KING'S deer!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom