More for my Doctorial Thesis

202typical

Long Time Member
2008 WAS THE YEAR MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING WAS DISPROVED

Looking back over my columns of the past 12 months, one of their major themes was neatly encapsulated by two recent items from The Daily Telegraph.

By Christopher Booker
Last Updated: 7:40AM GMT 29 Dec 2008

The first, on May 21, headed "Climate change threat to Alpine ski resorts" , reported that the entire Alpine "winter sports industry" could soon "grind to a halt for lack of snow". The second, on December 19, headed "The Alps have best snow conditions in a generation" , reported that this winter's Alpine snowfalls "look set to beat all records by New Year's Day".

Easily one of the most important stories of 2008 has been all the evidence suggesting that this may be looked back on as the year when there was a turning point in the great worldwide panic over man-made global warming. Just when politicians in Europe and America have been adopting the most costly and damaging measures politicians have ever proposed, to combat this supposed menace, the tide has turned in three significant respects.

First, all over the world, temperatures have been dropping in a way wholly unpredicted by all those computer models which have been used as the main drivers of the scare. Last winter, as temperatures plummeted, many parts of the world had snowfalls on a scale not seen for decades. This winter, with the whole of Canada and half the US under snow, looks likely to be even worse. After several years flatlining, global temperatures have dropped sharply enough to cancel out much of their net rise in the 20th century.

Ever shriller and more frantic has become the insistence of the warmists, cheered on by their army of media groupies such as the BBC, that the last 10 years have been the "hottest in history" and that the North Pole would soon be ice-free ? as the poles remain defiantly icebound and those polar bears fail to drown. All those hysterical predictions that we are seeing more droughts and hurricanes than ever before have infuriatingly failed to materialise.

Even the more cautious scientific acolytes of the official orthodoxy now admit that, thanks to "natural factors" such as ocean currents, temperatures have failed to rise as predicted (although they plaintively assure us that this cooling effect is merely "masking the underlying warming trend", and that the temperature rise will resume worse than ever by the middle of the next decade).

Secondly, 2008 was the year when any pretence that there was a "scientific consensus" in favour of man-made global warming collapsed. At long last, as in the Manhattan Declaration last March, hundreds of proper scientists, including many of the world's most eminent climate experts, have been rallying to pour scorn on that "consensus" which was only a politically engineered artefact, based on ever more blatantly manipulated data and computer models programmed to produce no more than convenient fictions.

Thirdly, as banks collapsed and the global economy plunged into its worst recession for decades, harsh reality at last began to break in on those self-deluding dreams which have for so long possessed almost every politician in the western world. As we saw in this month's Poznan conference, when 10,000 politicians, officials and "environmentalists" gathered to plan next year's "son of Kyoto" treaty in Copenhagen, panicking politicians are waking up to the fact that the world can no longer afford all those quixotic schemes for "combating climate change" with which they were so happy to indulge themselves in more comfortable times.

Suddenly it has become rather less appealing that we should divert trillions of dollars, pounds and euros into the fantasy that we could reduce emissions of carbon dioxide by 80 per cent. All those grandiose projects for "emissions trading", "carbon capture", building tens of thousands more useless wind turbines, switching vast areas of farmland from producing food to "biofuels", are being exposed as no more than enormously damaging and futile gestures, costing astronomic sums we no longer possess.

As 2009 dawns, it is time we in Britain faced up to the genuine crisis now fast approaching from the fact that ? unless we get on very soon with building enough proper power stations to fill our looming "energy gap" - within a few years our lights will go out and what remains of our economy will judder to a halt. After years of infantile displacement activity, it is high time our politicians ? along with those of the EU and President Obama's US ? were brought back with a mighty jolt into contact with the real world.

Pretty dumb, as we watch the polar ice caps melting at a record pace you can't say global warming is a joke just because we have good snow in the hills at the moment.

Since the economy makes fighting global warming less popular that means it doesn't exist? brilliant, that's like saying if you can't afford to go to the doctor you don't have cancer.

Once again this is a subject left to science not personal opinion or politics from either side. global warming is real, are the cause has yet to be determined or proven.

"are the cause has yet to be determined or proven."

So you agree with me then? After all I am only speaking of Man Made warming. It is a hoax and has not been nor ever will be proven, just as you have said, "It has not been proven" yet if you listen to the likes of Forewall ot Tmoneyshot it is a forgone conclusion and in the eliquent words of the Global Warming Mesiah, Algore, "The debate is over" I am simply pointing out the absurdity of their beliefs. That's all.

No I can't say man has an impact great enough to warrant us doing anything different, but I can't say we aren't the major cause either.

The biggest problem I see on this issue is by the time we know the facts it might be too late to do anything about it, our top man appointed by Reagan says it already is. it seems the most logical plan would be to treat it as if it's real but within reason, if in a few years if we find it's a farse the worst thing to come of it would be cleaner air. if you went to the doctor with heart pain and he told you to take it easy until the test results come back what would you do? you'd back off your activity until you know what the problem is, same thing here. I wish there was a clear quick answer to this, but the problem is advancing faster than our diagnostic ability is, the scientist I trust the least are the ones who are sure of themselves at this point.

the problem is its something that cannot be totally proven, the weather system is too complicated, but its also very dangerous, all living things rely on the weather to be somewhat stable at least within the parameters of how they evolved. To ignore even the possibility of man made climate change is insane. I remember listening to a scientist from the desert research institute, he said the scary part of climate change is how climate cycles work and its possible that greenhouse gases could pull the trigger that brings us into a periodic ice age, he said they know from different data that it could happen in as little as 5 to 7 years once the top of the warming cycle has been reached. As he said, there is no way to know or predict what it takes to pull the trigger, but its a frightening scenario

You said something that I have been advocating since day one "but within reason"
With the forces on the left there is no reasoning. Remember to them the debate is over. Their plans will have devastating impact on our economy and our way of life. It will weaken us a a nation even further because I gaurantee you China and Rusia will never inact enviromental laws. Even if they did pass some enviromental laws they would be worthless because they would not follow them.

Lets face it eveyone wants a cleaner planet, yet the left and the Dems have cornered the market on man made global warming and are using it as a tool to gain votes and votes equal power. Power to pass rediculous laws and tax us even more. That is what is gets me.

With in reason would be nice.

Aw crap !!! What am I suppose to do with all those carbon credits I bought...?

Anyone got any marshmellows ?

4959509b40c81728.jpg

"the problem is its something that cannot be totally proven, the weather system is too complicated, but its also very dangerous, all living things rely on the weather to be somewhat stable at least within the parameters of how they evolved. To ignore even the possibility of man made climate change is insane. I remember listening to a scientist from the desert research institute, he said the scary part of climate change is how climate cycles work and its possible that greenhouse gases could pull the trigger that brings us into a periodic ice age, he said they know from different data that it could happen in as little as 5 to 7 years once the top of the warming cycle has been reached. As he said, there is no way to know or predict what it takes to pull the trigger, but its a frightening scenario"

Fear mongering is their tool Piper. They have been saying oh in 5 years were screwed in 10 years were screwed in the next 15 years were screwed. But they have been saying this for 30 freaking years.
Hell yes what that scientist told you is scary. But tomarrow it could turn right back around. He is hoping to scare you because that is how Mr. Scientist gets funding. Thats how he makes a living. He desperatly has to sell you on this so he can feed and cloth him self. Then there are the Algores who desperatly need to scare the hell out of you and sell you on this notion because he too makes his living off Global Warming.
We need a reasonable aproach like Dude said.

if the climate changes and 6 or 7 billion people are fighting for sustenance you are going to care less about Russia or China or Democrats or anything else like that, we will have sent humanity to an unimaginable closing, I hope you don't have kids

202 - Hansen just said we have already waited too long according to his data, he didn't guess or predict anything else and thats fine. I think as humans we cannot deal with this possibility, so thats just the way it is, Im over 50 and its not that I don't care, but all we can do is hope that the climate will be stable. I think your belief that every scientist believing in man made climate change is doing it for personal gain is wrong.

I think what it boils down to is we have to go with the idea man made global warming is real and take action today, if we're wrong the yippie we can go back to our old ways. if we're right we may have kept the planet inhabitable for many more generations. as it stands we realy have no other choice, but that can be done within reason.

This and 99% of all other problems can be summed up with one word, overpopulation, fix that you fix it all. if we cut our polution in half and then double the population we gained nothing, cut the poulation in half we can burn bunker oil in our cars and who cares. too bad too many people have no grasp of the obvious.

Sounds like dude is saying, in a nice way, is that we need another world war and we kill off half the population and everything will be hunkey dorey.
He also likes the concept of global warming because it helps his farm price on corn being sold off as fuel. Like Al Gore, that puts more money in his pocket. Just might be a conflict of interest there!!!

RELH

Dude how do you propose to cut the population in half? And who's population are you talking about?

Pipe not all are on the take. However if you have any grasp on how a scientist, especially the guys on the cutting edge, get paid then you would understand. Its called the "Squeeky wheel gets the grease" That coupled with Fear Mongering and viola you get nut bar leftist pouring money into your coffers.

It's true global warming doesn't hurt my bottom line a bit, but I still think there could be something to it.

How do we cut the population? education and birth control. if we really want to protect the planet and increase the worlds quality of life we must reduce the poulation. the more informed and educated people are better the chances that will happen, most families with a dozen kids aren't rocket scientist. look at how many kids a person with a PHD has and how many a welfare family has as a rule. access to birth control is just as important, common sense and better education would hopefully turn the population trend around in time.

If the population continues to grow we'll see serious consequences, it's already impacting my life I can see it clearly and none of the changes are for the better. we think all species need to be controlled for their own good, but we're stupid enough to thing the human race has no limitation. maybe like rats we have to starve or kill each other off because we aren't smart enough control our own poulation with prevention.

dude, Europe has bought into the DUMB idea of population reduction and has basically stopped 'producing' babies. Now Europe and soon America have an aging population unable to 'retire' and you have the younger workers supporting multiple old people. BRILLIANT, not! Do you think the Third world countries will buy your load of nonsense on population control? We produce MORE food than ever, we have technology that is constantly finding ways to provide cleaner/cheaper energy, there is NO real reason to cut our population in half, that is just DUMB.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

everything is going to be fine because we grow more food and drill for oil in a more wildlife friendly manner? I don't think so, we are in the midst of the 6th known major species die off, the last one was believed to happen more than 60 million years ago, something like a third of all species are threatened with extinction,even in the remote American west we are losing things like sage grouse and some rabbits, when the only species that reproduce well in most areas around here are elk, you know there is a problem, go visit Asia sometime, if you haven't it will be an eye opener, millions of years of species evolution and its going down fast and its because of us

We means the world, China realized it was overpopulated and made population control manditory, even so they're still overpopulated.

To say we need increased population for economic security and unlimited population is no concern is as stupid of statment as I've ever heard. if our population was what it was when my dad was my age we would have a much better quality of life, little environmental concerns and statewide deer and elk tags good for a month sold over the counter like when I was a kid. don't tell me more people are good for the planet, or myself, only an idiot or better yet a metropolitan idiot would make such a statement. the best times this nation ever had were when the population was about half what it is today, I can only imagine what it's going to be like when we double it again. I'm glad I'm not a kid today, more competition for tags to hunt less game on a shrinking habitat base. isn't overpopulation sweet.

We are NOT overpopulated. We have plenty of room and plenty of food for ALL. And your DUMB comment "only an idiot or better yet a metropolitan idiot would make such a statement" shows what an IDIOT you are. I grew up several miles outside of a town of 500 people, there were 36 kids in my high school class, our closest neighbor was the 'next door fellow farmer' a little over a mile away. Next time you spout something you may want to get a clue on the subject. Spewing liberal LIES about overpopulation is DUMB. Japan is realizing that now, the government is bribing it's citizens to have more kids. Are you saying Japan is a "idiotic" nation? Only an IDIOT would make such claims.

PRO

Define, develop, and sustain BOTH trophy and opportunity hunts throughout the state of Utah.

dude is right on this, I feel sorry for my 13 year old nephew that lives in Santaquin, he has the hunting gene and is not going to have even quarter of the opportunity to hunt big game that I had growing up. hunting is changing fast on a number of fronts, mostly for the worse. your right we can fit a lot more people in but in a lot of ways the quality of life is declining. There is a good book out about the "nature deficit disorder" that so many children grow up with these days, reading it makes you realize there is some science behind our collective behavior. I would take 150 million people over 300 million any day, we could all have a bigger piece of the pie

Japan is underpopulated? pro , idiot is a complement to you.

The county I was born and raised in and still live in is low enough populated that we only have one high school in the county so don't tell me what a low population is like. not many rural folks I know are fond of big crowds, if you are you're an exception, or maybe an idiot again. when I was a kid I'd go out on our allotment and push cows off the creeks , it was common to ride all day and never see another person from the time I saddled up until I was half way back to town. now it's almost impossible not to run into people all day long, many kabitchin about the cattle, I just love it. that's a major reason I let the allotment go, not only I didn't really need it anymore but what a pain in the butt, constant whining and calls fron the FS. once again, for two of our three generations no problem, bring in too many people and now a major mess.

We do have plenty of food, but that means we need to breed people to eat it? why not give that food you think we need mouths for to the people here today starving to death? is food supply the only criteria for human population? that's brilliant. there are other factors determining carrying capacity that are lost on you, but if nothing else quality of life is reason enough for me to think overpopulation isn't a wonder of nature. no I can't stop it, but I'm not dumb enough to think it's all for the better and embrace it.

It's always all or nothing with you right wingers, suggest population control and you think genocide and baby grinders .

You must be so frightened all the time you seek safety in numbers like prey species . what's wrong with more of a small town tpye world? I see it all the time, in small communities like mine everyone waves at you as you meet on the hiway, get in a bigger town and few do, get in portland and if you see a hand go up you're getting flipped off or shot at. what is wrong with the local folks who are happy to have a new face at the coffee shop for morning conversation? open spaces, clean air and elbow room? you loose all of that when people feel crowded. why do we need hi rise buildings stuffed with people in every former one horse town? your logic or lack there of is amazing.

A reduction in population would be great, holding it where it is would be ok, any increase is a decrease in our quality of life.

>It's always all or nothing with
>you right wingers, suggest population
>control and you think genocide
>and baby grinders .
>
> You must be so frightened
>all the time you seek
>safety in numbers like prey
>species . what's wrong with
>more of a small town
>tpye world? I see it
>all the time, in small
>communities like mine everyone waves
>at you as you meet
>on the hiway, get in
>a bigger town and few
>do, get in portland and
>if you see a hand
>go up you're getting flipped
>off or shot at. what
>is wrong with the local
>folks who are happy to
>have a new face at
>the coffee shop for morning
>conversation? open spaces, clean air
>and elbow room? you loose
>all of that when people
>feel crowded. why do
>we need hi rise buildings
>stuffed with people in every
>former one horse town? your
>logic or lack there of
>is amazing.
>
>
> A reduction in population would
>be great, holding it where
>it is would be ok,
>any increase is a decrease
>in our quality of life.
>

Well I will have to agree with you on this one! Zero population growth would be nice. Actually it is about there in most first world countries. Third world countries hard time getting there. But a nice one die, one born, be nice.....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom