More, Less, or about the Same?

sageadvice

Long Time Member
It's that time of year that this seasons big game hunts are over for me and i start thinking about next year. Because money is as it is, hard to come by, I can't help but think of what these upcoming potential hunts would cost. Thru the past 10 years or so, i'm going to guess that i've spent close to a average of 3K per year to hunt bucks. To me, that is a big chunk of any profit that my small plumbing business might bring in. I don't think that i can continue this trend, the numbers just don't add up.

i have been building points in Nev and Wyoming for at least one more good hunt to each state. There are not a lot of points involved but it's possible that i may have to just let them go. Wy is talking about a huge increase to a already too expensive hunt. Not just the hunt, tag, and travel costs, there is the time away when i close up shop and nothing coming in while i'm gone to consider. I may just stay closer to home, hunt more local, and give up the out of state trips that i so dearly love to do.

How about you guys? are you gearing up to do more hunts and spend more than you have been in the past, stay about the same, or like i'm considering now and cut back on the bigger hunts in efforts to help keep the costs down? Thanks!!

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

I'M GETTING READY TO "GET WITH THE PROGRAM" AND SPEND IT ALL, THE KIDS HAVE MORE $$$$ THAN I HAVE ANYWAY !!!! I AM RETIRED & HAVE TURNED INTO A ELK FREAK......LOTS OF ELK HUNTS DOWN THE ROAD. THINKING OF TRYING AFRICA AS WELL, AND I STILL NEED TO TAKE A BIG BROWN BEAR TOO !!! BEEN ON A FEW GREAT HUNTS.....NEED A FEW MORE.

THEY SAY: YOU CANT TAKE IT WITH YOU !!! ...YOU EVER SEEN HURST PULLING A U-HAUL ????

HAPPY HUNTING..............YD.

Sage: We are cutting back some on out of State hunts. It is way to pricy and hard to justify unless one has plenty of bucks....Kids growing up, having families and they can't pay that kind of money and still buy/make payments on a house here in our state. Were doing more CA hunts with family so kids can afford to hunt more..

))))------->

It's a tough call for me. I'm going to retire soon so my financial picture is kinda iffy. I'll be 65 next year.

I laid off hunting almost completely this year, except for waterfowl. I did some fishing though. The first time I haven't gone deer hunting somewhere since 1964. It felt weird.

I got out of the Nevada game when I spent all my points for deer and antelope. Don't think I'll start back up. I have pronghorn points in Wyoming, and that's it. I'll use them before the fee increases, and then call it good? I really hate the long drives anymore too. Everybody drives too fast now days.

I spent the first 45 years of my life completely content hunting locally. Guess I'll try to be content going back to that.

I think I have a couple more fishing trips to Alaska in me though.:)

Eel

I have always applied and built points in 7-8 states every year. I scrached Utah off my list after last year because they are overselling tags in the general units. I have 6 deer and elk points in Oregon and when I draw that hunt I will quit putting in there. I will continue with the rest of my point building for now....but I will be 60 next year and my days are numbered on some of the places I like to go hunting.

I am doing a New Years resolution to not read these hunting websites and then I will wean myself from hunting expensive stuff altogether.

NOT!!!!!!!

I am, however, going to try to find a ranch somewhere, with an LO tag in the $4-$5k range and just go for it........any tips?

A trip to Wyoming, a trip to Colorado and todays trip to Arizona, has my fuel costs approaching the National debt. Even split 2 ways, I have $1,000.00 invested in each trip.

Towing the 5th wheel thru a Colorado, 3rd period snow storm, just about destroyed my last nerve.

I may just set my goal to have a 50 coyote year here at home and not go anywhere next year...........but then I find out that Utah has a $50.00 coyote bounty. I could go there for a month for.......$....?

"I could agree with you, but then we would both be
wrong......and stupid"

Sage, You really believe that hunting will be allowed in kali in another 10 years? I'm not so sure.

I quit Oregon with the price increase there and haven't applied in 3 years. Now I'm in a position to burn my 12 deer and antelope points and 10 elk points ASAP!! Then I'm done there.

Wyoming? I love their system, 2nd best behind Nevada IMHO. I'll buy PPs til I can draw a good tag. Maybe deer only every other year but I see major improvement in their deer in the future.

Colorado? Pretty expensive to apply for 3 adults, deer and elk. I'll buy wife and son a PP this year or they'll lose theirs. Me, just a deer point.

Nevada? For $250.00 each, I'm all in for the wife and myself. The tags are expensive......BUT they are as good as it gets. Plus the chukar would miss me if I didn't buy a Nevada license.

Think that's it for me for at least the next 2 years although I was thinking about Arizona recently. Probably have time for one decent elk tag before I'm too old to do it justice.

For "me" probably staying the same. I'm already invested too much in numerous states. But my oldest son turns 12 before next season so it will be game on for him and I,which means ultimately I will spend more. I will put him in for Idaho and Montana, which will be a back up in case we don't draw Idaho.

Jerad

Overall, I gotta say "LESS". Here in my home state of California, with max points for all species but elk, I'll stay in the game but plan to hunt a bit less in the fall of 2013. I'll hunt local with my second choice draw but will refrain from traveling too far from home base. I continue to buy points in WY each year but have no immediate plans to burn em yet. Montana is outta the question with their tag fee increases. No deer is worth want they want for tag fees nowadays. Both this year and last I drew tags in my favorite state to hunt, NV (pronghorn and deer respectively). So, unless the elk or sheep gods bless me I'll probably be absent from the silver state in 2013. Arizona is a possibility...may do an early coues hunt...but it depends on my partners and whether they decide to commit. Hard to swallow the travel expenses for an out of state trip solo...need friends to share the costs.

My immediate goal these days is to do a deer hunt in AK out on Kodiak in the next couple of years. To afford such a trip I'm really gonna have to cut back a little on my usual hunts and save more. This really doesn't bother me too much because I know it will be worth it in the end. And once I complete my deer slam (all i need is a Sitka Blacktail) I can then focus my resources on my ultimate goal...an alpine sheep hunt in AK or Canada.

I think what I have learned over the years is that what I find special in this greatest of pursuits (hunting) is having new adventures...and before I leave this world I want to pursue sheep. I'm not financially able to just go out and book such a trip at the drop of a hat. It will take years of saving and sacrifice...but I WILL do it, some day!!! If I have to hunt a little less now, to achieve my future goals, so be it.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom