mouflon in Hawaii

Santana

I'll be in Hawaii on business in September and would like to fit in a mouflon hunt but don't know where to start. Are public land hunts available? Or maybe a trespass fee on a ranch? Any outfitters available? If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it - thanks.

I'll be watching this post as this is something I've wanted to do for a long time. I think the Park Service erradicated these animals on one of the islands a few years back, but there may be huntable populations elsewhere.....Lanai????? I dunno
anyway, I want photos/info if you do this.

i watched a show the other day and they were hunting hogs and goats on one of the islands....looked like a fun hunt.

What the heck is a Mouflon? I have a buddy that hunt pigs on Kawaii. His wepon of chose is a 7 inch buck knife. Wild!

The wife and I were on Oahu a few years ago and went for a hike in the mountians about 3 miles to a waterfall. I saw a good bit of hog sign on the way up. I'm from Oklahoma and usually kill 20+ hogs a year so I wasnt to pumped to hunt them. I'm not sure how you could hunt there where we were. The jungle was super thick. We had no wild goat sighting but we did see a lot of wild chickens.

The pure mouflon were indeed shot out by the govt on Hawaii island when the private land they inhabited was converted to the Volcanoes Nat Park.. they did not want non native species in the park. Pity toi because the rams killed on the Big Iskand were the purest strain of mouflon found. Beautiful sheep. Eugene Yap of South Point Safaris used to guide for them.

After the Big Island herds got shot, hunter's focus turned to Lanai island. There you can still hunt damn near pure mouflon..it is just not the same terrain as Hawaii Island. Lanai is MUCH easier terrain! A ton of axis deer are found there too as well as on Maui island.

Lots to still hunt on the Big Island (Hawaii).. goats, axis, pigs, turkeys, pheasant, francolin, quail, etc..

If you are deadset on a mouflon ram, look to Lanai.. get in touch with Lanai's game dept. They'll have a list of guys you can book a hunt with.. just a heads up, most of these hunts are 1 day and rarely ever exceed 2 days. Fun though! Good luck!

------------------
DRSS

Thanks for the info scottyboy and evilnr. I've already got the list of outfitters from division of forestry and wildlife. Will keep you posted. In the meantime, any additional info is welcome.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom