Mountain bikes

lvelk

Question: The forest service closes many of the trails and logging roads around the end of bow season to about everything but foot and horse traffic. Are mountain bikes included in the closure? It seems like they address or try to address all wheeled transportation.

There are wheeled trans. restrictions and motorized trans restrictions,check with the forest service/blm/f&g on your specific area to make sure,its a heafty fine.

Any distinction on "motorized", mainly gas vs electric power assist? I'm guessing the electric power assist "wheel hubs" are not covered in the regs specifically.

There are areas where you cant even have a game cart due to wheeled restrictions,you can bet any for of motorized transpo in a no no.

Motorized is motorized. Anything not animal powered is considered motorized. If it says no motorized vehicles, you're powering yourself.
Wilderness areas are non-mechanized. Meaning no bikes, gamecarts etc.

The websites selling the hubs tout them as legal on all govt lands that allow bikes or they leave it up to the states. Some states have none and the more liberal like California, have laws spelled out specifically for e-bikes. They are all very friendly to promote their use. Areas off limits to atvs and motorcycles are open to their use. It's a "green" thing.

Montana appears to be silent on this issue. The power assist hub is technically not an internal combustion engine so it seems like it should work anywhere a mountain bike is legal.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-11 AT 11:01AM (MST)[p]Are there laws on the books? I have not been able to find them.

The law is MOTORIZED. Has nothing to do with fossil fueled internal combustion engines, solar powered electric, geothermal powered, Slerling motor, or whatever other fuel source you can provide. A motor is a motor, and if your vehicle has one, it isn't allowed anywhere you can't legally take an ATV or dirt bike.

If you really want the literature I can dig it up for you, but you're pissing in the wind.

I don't know about pissing in the wind. Congress defined and transferred responsibility for safety regulation of low-speed electric bicycles from the US Department of Transportation to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission. Public Law 107-319, 116 Stat. 2776 (the Act), enacted December 4, 2002, subjects low-speed electric bicycles to the Commission's existing regulations at 16 CFR part 1512 and 16 CFR 1500.18(a)(12) for bicycles that are solely human powered. For purposes of this requirement, the Act defines a low-speed electric bicycle as ''a two-or three-wheeled vehicle with fully operable pedals and an electric motor of less than 750 watts (1 h.p.), whose maximum speed on a paved level surface, when powered solely by such a motor while ridden by an operator who weighs 170 pounds, is less than 20 mph.'' Public Law No. 107-319, section 1, 116 Stat. 2776 (2002).

Meet these requirements and its not a motorized vehicle its a pedal bike.

>Question: The forest service closes
>many of the trails and
>logging roads around the end
>of bow season to about
>everything but foot and horse
>traffic. Are mountain bikes
>included in the closure?
>It seems like they address
>or try to address all
>wheeled transportation.

Where we go the signs read NO MOTORIZED VEHICLES...so.......
we take our bikes a few miles back on some old logging roads and hunt where nobody else dares to.
4580100_3423.jpg

"Like a midget at the urinal, always be on your toes!"
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com
http://www.themontanagallery.com/

Awesome, exactly what I was talking about. I want to add a power assist electric hub to your setup. For about $300 to $500 you could get a little help with hills and distance.

ANy kind of "assist" is considered MOTORIZED.Where nobody else dares too?really?

>Awesome, exactly what I was talking
>about. I want to
>add a power assist electric
>hub to your setup.
>For about $300 to $500
>you could get a little
>help with hills and distance.
>

If you're really that hung up on it, just call whoever's land you're planning on doing this on and ask them.

Do you have a link to this product??

At the BLM, we are developing a new travel management plan right now. We have motorized restrictions in some areas, and in others, we have "mechanized" restrictions. As far as I can tell, your product wont work in either. So, even where bikes are allowed, yours wont be...

Show us this thing...Im curious. There ARE places where it is legal....but not everywhere, that is for sure.

From what I have reviewed, there are many different manufactures and types of conversion kits. A google search of electric bike, electric bike conversion kit, ebike kit or any phrase with electric bike will yield plenty of links to different brands. www.e-BikeKit.com gives a decent example of what is out there. Some of them work within the non-motorized law quoted above and some exceed the max specs to be classified as non-motorized. I was thinking of a front hub kit on a mountain bike within the specs listed above. Anything more really becomes to heavy for a benefit.

>From what I have reviewed, there
>are many different manufactures and
>types of conversion kits.
>A google search of electric
>bike, electric bike conversion kit,
>ebike kit or any phrase
>with electric bike will yield
>plenty of links to different
>brands. www.e-BikeKit.com gives a
>decent example of what is
>out there. Some of
>them work within the non-motorized
>law quoted above and some
>exceed the max specs to
>be classified as non-motorized.
>I was thinking of a
>front hub kit on a
>mountain bike within the specs
>listed above. Anything more
>really becomes to heavy for
>a benefit.
>
>

Holy Hell... $600 for that thing... cheaper to get a membership to a health club and build up your legs on a stationary bike!
I wonder how that would do going up hill anyways? probably run out fairly fast i'd think?

www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com

Really,that thing wouldnt do you much good IF it were legal,forget the bike strap on a packframe and go anywhere.

I have know idea if these do what they say. I'm sure there is some benefit from the assist, how much??? I got the idea from hunting in Utah where I saw a mountain bike with a gun holder on the handle bars. I have no problem putting in the effort to hike, as long as everyone is on foot. I'm sick of having hunts blownup by hunters on horses that put in zero effort.

>I have know idea if these
>do what they say. I'm
>sure there is some benefit
>from the assist, how much???
>I got the idea from
>hunting in Utah where I
>saw a mountain bike with
>a gun holder on the
>handle bars. I have
>no problem putting in the
>effort to hike, as long
>as everyone is on foot.
> I'm sick of having
>hunts blownup by hunters on
>horses that put in zero
>effort.

I will agree with that, It sucks to have horses walk by ya while your out and about, but i've also came across hikers who were pissed when I came by them on the mountain bike. If I had horses I would use them too, but since they are too expensive for me I wish it was a total even slate, where they had to walk too...
www.Anacondatreasure.com
www.rwmurals.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Montana Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Mule deer, whitetail, antelope, buffalo, and prairie dogs on private ranch leases totaling about 100,000 acres.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail and antelope and manage our ranches for top quality.

Vargo Hunting

Top quality bear, antelope and free range bison hunts on the Crow Indian Res. Turkey and cougar as well.

Back
Top Bottom