mountain goat down

nfh

Long Time Member
got my wyoming resident mountain goat.

opening day of rifle i tagged out. started way before the sun was up and half up the trail we spotted 2 billys. hour and half later we topped out and seen 2 nannys and 2 kids and look ahead and seen 2 billys. the billys came down low for some water. after being worn out i had to close the distance a 1000 yards. so i jogged across the rugged country. after 20 minutes i finally got 250 yards away. i was huffing and puffing and a straight up a dry mouth. so i waited to calm down and waited for the goat to clear some trees.while trying to catch my breath i made sure the billy was a shooter, i seen he was really long but the billy was really thick but didnt look long. when my shot came i fired and hit him 3 times. i wanted him to go down so he wouldnt climb straight up. after 3 shots he still walked and rolled down into some trees.

my dad was with me and a good freind of mine to help pack out. we packed enough to stay in for 4 days. so it was one heavy load uo. i have always used horses before and packing out myself was a challlenge and man i appreciate my horses more.

i packed in and packed out all in 1 day. when i got home we put a tape to his horns and he is 10 1/8 inches long on each side. he should score out good.

100_1257.jpg

584.jpg

here he is at a 1000 yards with the camara on full zoom. my buddy that came with had a good camara.
604.jpg

608.jpg

hiking down a nast cliff on the way out
664.jpg

here is the counrty i had to run across. basically i ran all to the end as far as you can see
642.jpg

Congratulations on a great animal and those are absolutely awesome photos! What unit was that in? Those horns are great and look like daggers!!

Very nice! With those horn measurements, and good mass (which it appears he has), you are looking at a B&C goat.

just did a green score of 48 3/4. i never scored a goat before and a few us did the best we can using the boone and crockett scoring your own trophy.

this was a area 3 goat. its a brand new area this year in wyoming. they took area 1 and split it. the game warden told me they split the area cause to many hunters were hunting the clarks fork canyon and people would not go up to higher grounds into the more nasty country.

im pretty sure i seen a goat bigger then him during bowhunting season, but im very pleased and excited with this goat. i didnt realize he had a 10 1/8 horn on each side. cant wait to get him mounted

Congrats on an awesome billy. Love the pic of the billy grazing far off in the distance. Thanks for sharing.

Eldorado

Congrats on a great billy. Got to love the Mt goat hunt. It is a demanding hunt. Killed my once in a life time in Utah several years ago. Would love to do it in another state, but I keep getting older and the mountian keeps getting steeper. Never know though, just love to hunt!!!

Wah Woo! Good on ya man!

That's an excellent billy and well worth cutting your tag for.
I loves the story overview and the photos. Except for the lack of heavy breathing, I almost felt like I was there. LOL

Congrats,
Zeke

One HELLUVA billy!

great seeing the fall seasons getting started off! I'm chompin at the bit!

------------------
DRSS

thanks for comments fellow hunters. here are a few more pictures. i went to the game and fish today and they aged him at 4-5. i thought he was off and told him to look at his teeth. then he said he might be 7-8 years old. so he called in 2 other game wardens and they were confused to. i just got back from the taxdermist and he aged the horns and teeth at 7-8 years old.

here is the goat as he lays. the tree saved him from rolling down a long ways
100_1235.jpg

100_1246.jpg

here is another billy that was in the area while i was go after mine
583.jpg

here is the other goat standing on a cliff watching me while i go for my fast paced stalk and my dad and buddy were taking pictures of him watching me
586.jpg

can you see the billy as he goes up
594.jpg

599.jpg

stoping for a break and fixing our packs and getting ready to hike off the nasty mountain.
646.jpg

Those long distance shots of your billy are awesome. Truly king of the mountain. Again, congrats on a tremendous trophy.

Eldorado

nfh, congratulations....that sure is a dandy Billy. What did the bases measure?

I have the Colo statewide raffle tag this year, and will be looking for a Billy just like that one.

Congrats again, you done good.

>nfh, congratulations....that sure is a dandy
>Billy. What did the bases
>measure?
>
>I have the Colo statewide raffle
>tag this year, and will
>be looking for a Billy
>just like that one.
>
>Congrats again, you done good.
>
>.

bases were 5 5/8

good luck on the hunt. you going after just a billy or maybe a big nanny

>bases were 5 5/8
>
>good luck on the hunt. you
>going after just a billy
>or maybe a big nanny
>

Very nice...I thought he looked pretty massive.

About the Colo tag...I'm after a good Billy. With 4 months to hunt, should be do-able.

Beautiful goat! Congratulations on an amazing critter! Thanks for sharing the story, you have some awesome pics there too, wouldn't be offended at all if you wanted to show off some more pictures of that country you were in...

>Beautiful goat! Congratulations on an
>amazing critter! Thanks for
>sharing the story, you have
>some awesome pics there too,
>wouldn't be offended at all
>if you wanted to show
>off some more pictures of
>that country you were in...
>

i will see what i got and post some more country up

here is some more country photos for ya. thanks for asking.

explain this. rock is tall as a truck and 12 wide. a perfect hole through it.
100_1222.jpg

100_1169.jpg

100_1168.jpg

645.jpg

591.jpg

590.jpg

Beautiful, thank you for taking the time to share those pics, exciting country! I got my NM rocky last month so I can totally relate to how you must be feeling, something very special about that high country and the animals that live there. Slim chance of me ever having a Wyo goat tag but I'd love to get up there and hunt them with a camera sometime. Congratulations again on your hunt
Chris

Congrats on a great goat and story. Thanks for posting. I've been putting in in Utah for 12 years now. Hope my time comes soon. The Utah hunt opens tomorrow. Good luck to any others with tags.

Nice goat, congrats!

I'm guessing the hole in the rock was at one time a piece of wood that has long since rotted away. The rock is a conglomerate, likely alluvial or glacially created. Neat picture.

>Nice goat, congrats!
>
>I'm guessing the hole in the
>rock was at one time
>a piece of wood that
>has long since rotted away.
> The rock is a
>conglomerate, likely alluvial or glacially
>created. Neat picture.

i was thinking there was a tree there at one time but i dont know my geology very well. thanks for the info

hey fellow MM's, be sure to check out issue 128 of eastamsn hunting jouranl. issue 128 for december/january there will be a full story on my mountain goat..............

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom