Mountain goat opinions...

broomd

Buddy drew the only tag in a great unit here in northern Idaho....
We laid eyes on this goat, I'm thinking billy right off the bat due to the glands. He lacks obvious mass, but is insanely long.
Am I nuts to guess 11 inches?

We're headed out early tomorrow, there are several billies around.
Due to work he has to hunt the early season rather than towards November, although this goat has pretty decent hair for late September.

Thoughts on this goat? Opinions?
100_8737.jpg

100_8730.jpg

100_8736.jpg

100_8740.jpg

I'm no expert on mountain goats but I would shoot that goat without another thought about it. I think your guess is close. Good luck to you guys and show us some pics.

My thoughts:

If Mt Goats had racks like a deer, moose or elk, you could never ever draw a tag. Neat looking animals.

That goat? I'm certainly no kind of expert on goats but because of how thin the horns are, i sure would be suspect of that one being female.

Joey

"It's all about knowing what your firearms practical limitations are and combining that with your own personal limitations!"

Is it a billy only tag or either sex? that last pic doesn't really show any glands.... Awesome goat, billy or nannie.

Good luck!

Great pics. Looks like a long horned nanny to me.

That should be a great tag. Best thing about it is there is zero competition!

Amazing country. Is that on the pack river side of 95 or the cabinet side?

Good luck to your buddy!

Based on the horns I am thinking a nanny.

But to verify this what her/his habits. Watch to see how it urinates and that will tell ya.

100% Nanny. Don't base your decision on scent glands, my nanny last year had huge scent glands.

6886image.jpg

Beautiful goat for sure, but another tell tale is the thin bridge from the eyes to the nose. Billys have much thicker humped up bridges to their nose. Nannies tend to be thin and concave from the eyes to the nose. If it's a billy it's a freak young one.

Cheers,
Pete

Thanks a lot for the opinions guys.

We saw her again yesterday, the only goat spotted.
The conditions were horrible.

It's an either sex tag and my bud will look a bit more for a good billy, but will hammer this nanny if it comes down to it.

Shes a fine goat and might make book with a bow if he opts to use one...

Nanny for sure. the clean white color is also a pretty good give away.

Generally the mass on a nanny cuts their score back more than the length would lead you to believe.

Stay thirsty my friends

I also say nanny! As 440sixpack pointed out there are 8 mass measurements and only 2 length measurements. Length is a small % of the score vs mass on most horned animals. I've never seen a nanny in Colo with close to that length horns so it's a great nanny!

Also in that first picture she has a huge spread tip to tip. A big between horns. Big give away of a nanny

Billy or Nanny, and I am betting Nanny, that is one heck of a set of horns, wow.
LONG!

Good luck on the hunt.

That's a nanny. I've hunted goats 3 times and, at least in my mind, that is 100% a nanny.

As others have said, with a mature billy, you'll see a broader nose, but also a bigger bulkier chest, more defined chaps and a generally more 'yellow' appearance.

A very long, very good nanny!

Sorry for the delay here...
My buddy done good with his O.I.L. Idaho tag, he passed on that long nanny and took a book billy.

10.5 inches and a beautiful goat...absolute stud of a billy.

DSCN4888.jpg

200.jpg

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom