Mountain Lion Encounter

fly4fish

Had a very close call with a Mountain Lion while archery mule deer hunting a few days ago. I had just left my bow behind for reasons I explain in my blog post. Never go without a side arm. Definitely one of the scariest 3 minutes of my life.

Read my story and check out the pictures of the site at my blog here: [a href="http://www.bestforhunting.com/2011/09/mountain-lion-encounter/"]Mountain Lion Encounter[/a]

Do any of you have any good Mountain Lion Encounter stories where it was more then just a sighting?

Was there 8 of them in one pile?

For GAWDS Sakes Guys,We Got Kids on this Site,Some of them are 65 years Old!:D

I don't care if they're big or small!
If they throw lead I like em all!
:p

Well you did the right thing. You're supposed to make yourself look big, yell, and throw something at them.

I had the same thing happen to me. The cat showed absolutely no fear of me. I turned my back on him and he was on his belly sneaking closer. He would only stop when I looked at him.

I threw a 180 gr. bullet traveling 2,900 ft./sec. at him. That changed his mind.

Eel

Woah!!! Great read. I hear ya on it scaring the hell out of ya at the time but a cool memory now. I've had a few of those, not with cats, and hope to never, especially after reading your story. Well written, very intense.

Been there done that only i arrowed my lion at 12 yds and that was all she wrote. Took the cat down the mtn called the dwr and they came and picked her up, arrow passed through her chest and lodged in her hip , no charges were filed. self defence !!

[email protected]
[email protected]

'IT AINT EASY BEING ME'

My lion encounter was with two lions at 10 yards and lasted.....as long as it takes a Remington model 1100 to cycle 3 times.

My last Cougar encounter happened at a bar about 1am... She drug me to her cave and had her way with me... I'd post pics but I'd get banned..

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

Buck, Hope that the cougar at 1 am would still be a "taker" at 1 pm. If not, those are the nights we need to leave in the dust!

Yes - it's fun and exciting. Like some of you I had it happen also, mine on a spring bear hunt. While sitting down and glassing a basin near evening he came up behind me. I did not hear him but guess I sensed something staring at me. Turned around and he was 20 feet away. Upon eye contact he just dropped tight to the ground and started flicking his tail like my wife's cat (hate him too - I'm a dog guy) about to pounce on a bird. The muzzle blast at that short range of a 7mm magnum in his face, but over his head, did not send him running. That surprised me.

>My last Cougar encounter happened at
>a bar about 1am... She
>drug me to her cave
>and had her way with
>me... I'd post pics but
>I'd get banned..
>

LMAO

They say when that tail starts flickering, that is when he is in attack mode. It is an involuntary reflex or something!

I also have had a close encounter with a Mountain Lion while deer hunting. Being young and dumb I decided I would shoot towards it and scare it away. 1st shot with a 7mm RemMag made him pause for a few seconds then continued crawling towards me. Second shot made him stand up. Finally my third and final shot I had to put it on him, and that ran him off. I did not go looking to see if I had killed him, instead I went straight back to camp to try and get my nerves to calm down.

Do you guys usually pack a rifle in the truck during archery deer season? I hope your buddy is a better shot with a pistol than I am. He was shooting across the canyon at a cat 10 feet from you!

Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but really?

Muleybull- why do you have to make fun of people that are attacked by cougars. Cougar attacks are serious, just because the story sounds like something a little kid would tell you to avoid a whipping for being late for supper doesn't mean you should call BS on it. It is guys like you who make people who have been violated by a cougar afraid to come out of the closet...jerk

What is it about cougar psychology that prompts them to primarily prey on armed humans?? Forget all the hikers, bikers, joggers and cross country skiers, they may get a looksee from a lion but are rarely attacked. But come hunting season, cougars all across the west go on the offensive against camo'd and orange clad humans. Why is that?? I've never been able to figure that out.

They probably just see/smell/hear more people that time of year and therefore become more fearful. Like any animal, they know winter is on the way so they need to think more about food sources...

I was elk hunting the backside of Pikes Peak when I was around 24. I was still hunting some black timber and had just stopped when I noticed a movement coming down the hill. 3 cats, a mom and two mostly full grown kittens sat down and watched me from 50 yards. The mom and one of the kits chased a squirrel and moved off, but one kit just layed there and flicked it's tail. I had my bow in hand, and was prepared for self-defense, but I was more awe-inspired by the sight. Heck of a memory of a beautiful animal.
Another time I was elk hunting around Trinidad. I had just unloaded camp at my truck and was heading back up the trail empty for the last load. My heeler Zeke was leading the way, and I was looking at the ground in front of me when I heard a noise off the trail. I thought I had busted some grouse when a cat jumped in the trail, 17 yards away. I didn't even have my knife or bow. That cat could care less that 6'4" me was in the trail. His eyes would not leave my dog. Zeke was a lot younger then, but even he realized this might be a bit much. After about 15 seconds, Zeke started to move his front leg when I yelled at him. That cat finally looked up and in two bounds was out of sight up the hill.
Both times there was a sense of fear, but I never felt scared for my life. Just awe-struck I guess.

Had a few encounters this last week... I guess hunters just meet with them more in there area and times than granolas do. My closest one was when I started down the pines just after it had gotten dark and the cat tore out of the tree I was next to. My flashlight couldnt shine more than ten feet. I was alone. Bow and knife. Used to carry a tarus .45/.410. Wish I had it then but low $$$ forced me to sell it. It has 4 balls in the .410 shell that leaves a good spray for such an encounter.

The year was 59 or 60. The place was the Pahvant Mountain Range, NE of the turn off to Fillmore, and the bow was a 57 lb. re-curve (way to heavy of a draw). There were deer everywhere. Opening evening I found myself further away, than I should have been, from the cabin where we were staying, chasing some large bucks. I was hunting down Mill Canyon by the cliffs, below the top road. Half way back it got dark on me (no moon) and I ran on something that smelled terrible and could just barely make out what I thought was a dead deer that had been partially covered and I assumed it had been done by a mountain lion. Stumbling along the cow trail with exposed roots, a cougar squealed right by me. I'm here to tell you that there was no way I was going to spend the night on the mountain, and without a flashlight to boot.

I learned an important lesson that night about being prepared and I'm sure glad there were 10 times the deer back in those days for those lions to feed on.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-19-11 AT 07:26AM (MST)[p]>Do you guys usually pack a
>rifle in the truck during
>archery deer season? I
>hope your buddy is a
>better shot with a pistol
>than I am. He was
>shooting across the canyon at
>a cat 10 feet from
>you!
>
>Sorry if I sound sarcastic, but
>really?

No, he was just shooting into the hillside far away from where I and the cat were. He never even saw us as it is a steep, brushy, wooded hillside (as you can see in the photos). Of course I was in camo to, so we weren't very visible.

It seems like every time I don't pack a rifle with me, I wish I would have. You never know what you might need it for. Still, I hate to raise any suspicions about my successful archery hunting, so I usually leave it at home.

Great story, I had a similar encounter with a Bear while hunting the bookcliffs. I was so surprised that a animal at 10ft had no fear and just stood there. Thanks again for the story.

"cougars all across the west go on the offensive against camo'd and orange clad humans. Why is that?? I've never been able to figure that out. "

Maybe because they hear sounds their prey make, cow chirps, bugles, rattling horns, and deer grunts etc. and stalk in silent. Maybe people don't see them and they don't recognize people until they are at point blank range.It's just a theory.... Terry

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom