Mountain Music....

N

NMHUNTNUTT1

Yesterday afternoon me , my wife and youngest daughter took a ride up the hill to the Baca. We got there about 6:00 and the temperture was right around 64 , just right. Well right off the bat we see a great big 6x6 , mud all over his antlers and body with 16 cows. About 300 yards beyond him was another 40 or so elk and two more bulls.We watched them feed for about 30 minutes and then they started to insult each other, than 3 more bulls joined the crowd. It was the first time my wife or daughter ever saw this , and then two smaller bulls(not raghorns) locked up in a pretty agressive match.My wife was going nutts and she said she wants to go back next weekend , I told her the bulls get crazy vicious with each other.Well I moved further down the way trying to get into better photo range as I don't have strong enough lenses and the cows of the big bull nearest to us kind of spooked , so I started to cow call. Well the kick started a bull right behind us. It was awesome and about 5-6 minutes pass with this bull screaming bloody murder when right down the fence line two cows come out .This caused the big 6x6 to take notice and he came trotting. Then a nice 5x6 comes out following the two cows, only to meet the 6x6. This bull turned tail, watched as the big 6x6 gathered the two up and pushed them hard to the rest . My wife couldn't believe how the big 6x6 just took the girls. Right before last light more elk filtered out of the trees and the entire back valley was a bugle fest.I told my that the big bull would gather up 20 or so more cows but wouldn't breed them all as there is always someone bigger around the corner. The Baca (Valles Caldera) is amazing! I can't wait till next weekend. I just wanted to share some of it. I was excited to bethere but even more so watching my girls react in such excitement over the many elk and the magical rut....

Man you guys are in for an adventure! Thats a dream tag , is it the early bull tag?

I had the late rifle last year at valle caldera and it started oct 6th.

This year the ML starts oct 5th only one day earlier. But it is the first bull hunt after archery so it should be good.

As I said, thats a dream tag , you and your wife should do real well. We saw two super bulls , the one I thought had a bit bigger antlers wasn't the bull with all the cows , but that bull with the cows body was massive so his head gear maybe alot bigger , his body was thick! We're going back Saturday afternoon.I'd like to buy another stronger lense...

yeah those elk are something else..we were helping some elk hunters up in 6a this weekend..they wanted to go see elk so went to the valle ..they called up a bull to the fence and it started raking the fence..they are pretty vocal but the elk in the forest are still quiet..

Thanks for the story NMHUNTNUTT.
That sounds cool as hell.

NMpaul. Good, good luck on your hunt.
Sounds like alot of fun for you and the Miss'

Larry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom