Mountain Quail

ART_SKYD

Anyone have any experience hunting mountain quail in northeastern California?

Curious on the type of terrain/ habitat to focus in on?

I have heard to hunt areas in the timber with think ground cover near water.

Thanks

My favorite bird. Not far frm water sources early season. Mnt white thorn, manzanita, elderberry, all favorite cover.3500 to the tops. After heavy rains and especially snow birds will move lower, never, ever far frm cover. N Cal, Plumas, Tehama, Mendocino, Trinity counties all excellent.

Man I used to love hunting them. I would go to good looking areas and just sit and listen for their whistle. If they are talking you might roughly locate 2 or 3 groups. A lot of the time they would be far enough away from each other I could go hunt 1, bust a couple then go on to the next.

One of my favorites to hunt! Moe gave some good advice. I find them a lot in the actual timber near cover. Most of my Mt quail hunting is in NW California. Haven’t hunted them in NE California but have got a few down around the Tahoe area. Managed to get one with my bow this year, which was a first for me.

Down in the eastern Sierra south of mammoth I used to find them in chukar country. Lots of more open areas with heavy cover. One they like best is white thorn. Can’t hardly walk through that stuff. Edges of the mahoganies were often productive too. Usually within about mile or so of water. They seemed to stay closer to the water than the chukar did.

F79D3A4F-42F3-4DC0-ABDE-9495E3C9283E.jpeg

56EE566E-5F18-4DAD-AE2C-BF84509B0B2A.jpeg

Thanks for all the advice.

Did my first quail hunt and I am hooked. We limited in an hour. Im aware that rarely does a hunt go so well but all it took was that first covey to flush and get the adrenaline going!

20B0B1B2-5F00-45E0-9247-6C890A3DCDF3.jpeg

Those are valley quail. I was asking for advice on mountain quail for future hunts. I am familiar with valley quail though this was my first time hunting them.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom