Mountain Rifle in .260

m1fan

Very Active Member
I just acquired one of these and was wondering what the general consenses was with both the caliber and rifle. The laminate on this looks great.

i have that same rifle in 30-06 and i love it. my gun likes the heavier bullets better than the light ones. i have loaded 125 grain ballastic tips, 150 grain boat tail, 165 gran boat tails and the 165 shot the best. now i shoot federal high energy 165 grain trophy bonded bear claw and my gun likes them i have it topped with a silver leupold 3.5-10x50 nd the gun looks great and shoots great! even with the scopeand the harris bipod, the gun weighs less than my dads RMEF edition 7mmum. doug(redrabbit) has the same gun as you have. what kind of scope are you thinkin of puttin on it? what are you thinking of shooting it at?
casey

Deer and antelope. The only scope I have laying around that might work is a Zeiss Conquest 4.5x14 have to see if that is too big.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-10-04 AT 03:45PM (MST)[p]Wow. That is an ideal rifle for backpacking or otherwise hunting high in the boonies. If your hunting involves very rough country or lots of mountain climbing, may I humbly suggest that you don't over-scope that rifle. Sticking to the Leupold line, I'd be taking a very hard look at a VX1 or VX2 in 2x7, a fixed 6x36 if you don't get in the woods much, or a VX3 2.5x8. None of these will overwhelm your rifle, and you won't be at any disadvantage, providing you use your binoculars for spotting and field judging and your scope for shooting, as you should be.

The 260 will do whatever you want it to, and will work well at normal western hunting ranges of up to ~350 yards. If you shoot a couple hundred rounds a year at ranges of up to 500 yards, your rifle groups adequately way out there (100 yard shooting will NOT tell you this), and you employ a laser rangefinder, then you can use a 10-lb magnumb with a 14-power scope. Otherwise, get closer and kill the meat!

as to the mountain rifle being perfect for mountainous terain, i use mine for coues hunting and i think that it is the perfect rifle for coues. i think it would be even better if they made it in magnum calibers or the short mag calibers.
casey
ps. as for scope, i have a 3.5-10x50 leupold on there, we tend to have some long shots out here in Az.

I have a .260 and love it, how ever mine is not a MT rifle, but a old ADL, that I had a new tube screwed onto. It only wieghs about half a pound more than my 280 MT rifle that seems to shoot all most too well for a light contoured BBL too. For the most part the 260 shoots really well. It will shoot the heavier bullets (129 and 140) pretty well, but not very fast... like in the 2700fps range with a 140 pill... but will push a 120's up close to 3000fps...

My scope of choice would be a Weaver Grandslam how ever. IMO its a much better scope than the Sightron, and both the VX1 and VX2. There is no comparison to the Grandslam that I have on my 260 and and the VX1 I bought last year to top off my 280... the Weaver is a much nicer scope in the same price range. Both have a lifetime warrenty too. Just check them out, their worth a look.

My 260 is loaded with Hornady 129 SST's and I calculated that it retained enough velocity for bullet expansion and energy out to 500 yards to do the job on coues. It did the job on an antelope near 400 yards a couple of years go. Like Casey said, mine is the stainless, laminated stocked Mountain Rifle. It is light and handles well.

Doug/RedRabbit

It should perform similar to the Nosler Ballistic tip, but since the 260's velocities are not too high, they should not blow apart. The Partition might be a better choice if shoulders are in the line of fire. How do the Partitions shoot?
Factory loads are limited-a couple from Remington and Federal only, as far as I saw.

Doug/RedRabbit

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom