Mounts you did not harvest?

COSA

I do not understand the whole mount purchasing market. I can see why cabela's, a bar or another sortsman orientied business would want them (attract customers). But why would anyone want something they did not harvest? This whole Kirt Darner thing is why I posted this.

If I found a HUGE mount in an estate sale, or garage sale, or divorce sale, etc. and I could get it on the cheap, I know there is a market for this stuff. Bone is worth money. I would turn it for a buck, no doubt. I would not however, proudly display it in my residence and pass it off as mine.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

Other than having a mount killed by a family member (dad, granpa, etc.) I dont see it either.

I agree I would not display a mount in my house I did not harvest,but what about sheds you find.I have seen people that have found both sides of a very large deer sheds and have mounted those. Do you think it is the same thing.

Shed mounts are cool! Or what about some large antlers you didn't shoot but you mounted yourself? I have mounted a few deer myself with the help of instructional videos and books. The first one I mounted wasn't mine but I do have it on the wall in the basement with the others! I don't think thats the same thing as just putting one you purchased up on the wall. What if it's so unreal big and you didn't mortgage the house for it? I guess that would be cool too. I know of a guide that purchased a set of 423" net elk antler for $20.00 in Montana and had them re-stained and mounted. He has this mount in his houes and it looks unreal awesome. Just a couple reason someone might have a mount on the wall they didn't harvest.

If you really like mule deer and had the money to spend on a deer head why not hang it on your wall? I have a few set of sheds that in time I would like to have mounted with an extra deer cape and put on the wall.

I personaly would hang a nice buck in my living room if I killed it or not,but if I didn't kill the buck I woulndn't lie and say I did to brag about myself.Just my opinion.

beavis.gif

I have an elk rack that my wife's great uncle shot in 1943, it hangs right in the midle of the family room.(7x8 typical 370 class). I also have a deer rack that my grandpa found on the winter range in a fence in Idaho. I stained it and mounted them on an existing shoulder mount (5x5 non-typ 170 class). I don't claim either as mine, but they sure look good on the wall.

Andy

I guess it could be the same reason that someone would buy a painting that they didn't paint. I don't know. I don't even have any of my own deer on the wall. Not that I wouldn't want one but just haven't got one worth having mounted yet.

sentimental value, like your gramp killed a big buck way back when, i would hang up, find some sheds and have them mounted, cool. they are treasures as well, but no way i would buy one to hang on my wall. i guess maybe if someone was a collector, that would be different.

Could be hard on the ego as well to have a smoker 200 + class muley mount surrounded by your own 165 & 170 mounts.

I have owned several, mostly african and other unique stuff. I usually keep them for a while and then sell them. I don't claim to of hunted and killed them however. I just think taxidermy, especially good taxidermy is awesome. My personal mounts will never be for sale, but why not enjoy looking at someone else's for a while.

7D

"Arguing on the Internet is like running in the Special Olympics, doesn't matter who wins, you're still a retard?

What Bucksnort said.

I personaly would hang a nice buck in my living room if I killed it or not,but if I didn't kill the buck I woulndn't lie and say I did to brag about myself.Just my opinion.

I agree. I am an antler maniac. I just love antlers and large mounted muledeer, whittail, elk, ect....I look at them like some folks look at art. I have several sheds/antlers still on skull plate/full mounts that I have bought and hang in my office or house. I never ever claim to have killed them, or brag, I just love to look at them. I hang them right next to the ones I have taken my self. Each set is a unique work of Gods art, a one of a kind. I am just nuts over antlers. A hobby of sorts.

"We MUST Hunt"

I'd never buy one and hang it in my house, if that's the question. If my uncle or father or father in law asked me if I'd like to have their mount vs. them giving it away or trashing it, if it was a nice one, I'd find a home for it on some wall, but would also tell folks that it was a deer/elk shot by my uncle or whatever.............Cool mounts deserve to have a place.

Mounts I did not harvest...Lets see, there was Nasty Nancy, Filthy Phyliss and ooops, the wife is watchin' gotta go.

LAST EDITED ON Feb-12-06 AT 07:15PM (MST)[p]I'm not to much into paying that much for "art", but I guess its better than paying for some "gay" painting. Maybe I just have a small living room, but mounts to me are about seeing the animal everyday that I respect and earned, and be remindinded of the experience every time I look at him. And Longun, I'm not so sure that I want a reminder of some of the mounts I did in my twenties.

I have seen several bucks on walls that were found dead or were sheds.
I have a deer mount on my wall that I did not harvest. I found this buck dead while elk hunting.It was either killed by a hunter who placed a bad shot and it got away or it was lion killed. Deer season had ended the weekend before so it had been lying there for at least a week and the animals picking at it was proof.When I saw the size of it I wasn't about to leave the antlers to rot on the mountain so I brought the rack home. I took pictures for proof at the site where I found it for game & fish to show it was not poached and signed an afidavit stating so.
The buck is a typical five with no cheaters and gross scored 187 3/8.

I never understood it either until my mother-in-law brought a lion killed ram head home to me last night. Its a domestic sheep but the horns are awsome with a double curl on each side. I'm gonna hang it in my wildlife room just because it looks so cool but I would never tell anyone I shot it. I don't know if I would hang a full shoulder mount of someone elses though. My wall is reserved for MY animals. Shoot, I have a hard enough time getting my wife to let me hang my mounts, let alone someone elses.:)

Donnie

Everybody needs a european mount of a Jacobs sheep to get that "what the hell?" reaction out of people ;)

-DallanC

Is that what it is???? I know NOTHING about sheep other than they have fun pushing them up to cliff edges in Wyoming.:) Just pullin' your chain Dallan. I'm sure I'll get that reaction out of 90% of the people who see it. Course I'm gonna have to come up with one hell of a whopper to mess with peoples heads when they do see it!

Donnie

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom