Moving Decisions

ArrowSlinger

I am new to this site, but after reading through so much incredible information on this site, I figured I would ask for your opinions. I am currently in dental school in Nebraska, where I was born and raised. However, upon graduation in three years, I plan to move somewhere with many more hunting opportunities. Over the past year, I have looked at Colorado, Wyoming and Montana as they will allow me to hunt elk, mulies, etc. on a regular basis. I'm not asking for your honey hole or even a GMU number. I'm just curious as to where you would choose to live within these states, if given the opportunity.

San Diego California = Fixing Teeth Coming from the South headed North. Their return trip South. Those coming in from the East (U.S. Navy) and those coming West to earn 10x the $$$ of elsewhere.

Extra Benefits of Gorgeous Weather + California Girls on Beaches 365

Eleven years ago I was in your shoes, minus being in dental school. I chose wyoming and glad I did. One of the best decisions I ever made.

This is a great question. I've been wondering something similar, but I have some specific states in mind, each for a different reason:

Texas (any recommendations about specific areas of Texas)
Oklahoma
Kansas
New Hampshire

"Darth Vader was a sap"

Computerguy,

Is there a specific profession you hold? That may help with advice on where to move.

Cheers

Wyoming hands down. You will be able to hunt elk, mule deer, whitetails, antelope, bears and lions every year. All in some great places. Look at how long non-residents wait to hunt G and H for MD. Show me another unit that is that sought after by NR's but that residents can hunt every year. Long seasons, multiple weapon choices, being a resident opens up the wilderness areas to you. In my mind it is a no brainer. On the financial side, it has no state income tax, but I suspect this will change at some point.

CO, WY and MT all have OTC or easy to draw tags, ID too.
They all have pros/cons, it basically boils down to job, family and how far you want to be from home...Another thing to consider is housing costs.

I live in CO, its great have 9 big game species to hunt. However so do the others I mentioned.
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Thank you for all of the opinions so far guys! I have given Alaska some thought because of their hunting and fishing opportunities, but it is just too far away from family. I like the fact that there are all kinds of things to do outdoors in the other options I have narrowed down, whether it be fishing, camping, hiking, etc... it's all basically within an hour or so drive for the most part. Don't get me wrong, Nebraska is great and we have some awesome whitetail and waterfowl. My biggest thing is, I have the ability to come back and hunt here in the future. Sure, I will pay for the out of state tag at that point, but we don't run point systems here, so it'll be relatively easy to get a permit to come back to NE. On the contrary, I can use residency in one of the other states (especially CO) to help me in the points game.

>Computerguy,
>
>Is there a specific profession you
>hold? That may help
>with advice on where to
>move.
>
>Cheers

I think he is a plumber. Or a carpenter. Maybe a car salesman.

Those are all very good points. I did not realize that moving from a NR to R in WY played such a huge role in a lot of the tag distributions. The only thing I see that would make WY a little more difficult is the ability to find an office to either work within or buy once I am done with school. If I could find something in the Northwestern area of the state, these would definitely all be things to tilt the scales in favor of WY.

Jackson Wyoming!!

With how much dentist charge in that town you could easily afford one of the 500 sq ft 2BR homes for only $1.4 million. You'll meet many great "locals" who just recently moved there from Kalifornia and the east coast, they'll show you all the good yoga studios and espresso joints.

>Eleven years ago I was in
>your shoes, minus being in
>dental school. I chose wyoming
>and glad I did. One
>of the best decisions I
>ever made.

Plus one^^^^

Hands down my favorite State (other than my home State but that's because most of my kids/grand kids live here).

Most of the people in Wyoming will warm up to you quickly when they discover that you're not a DB. I just can't say enough about my 45 year love affair with Wyoming hunting. I wish I could do it more often but always enjoy it when I can

Wyoming has SOOOOOO much to offer and I'm sure they'd need a dentist every once in a while too.

Colorado isn't too far away from your home and I have special memories of that enchanted place too.

Zeke

>Alaska! Tons of huntin' and
>tons of "summer teeth".

True. You know what we say about finding a spouse on our Alaska dating sites. "The odds are good but the goods are odd."

With the oil boom going bust around the state of Wyoming there are plenty of office buildings and housing to choose from in every town here on the west side of the state. The only bummer is you have to reside in the state for a year before being a resident...

>With the oil boom going bust
>around the state of Wyoming
>there are plenty of office
>buildings and housing to choose
>from in every town here
>on the west side of
>the state. The only bummer
>is you have to reside
>in the state for a
>year before being a resident...
>

Not according to the clerk NV_HUNTER talked to. She said as long as you can spell the state it is good to go.

4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Aug-18-16 AT 06:18AM (MST)[p]For me it would be Colorado. Its a beautiful state and right in the middle of all the other western states.

Being a dentist and living in Colorado seemed to have worked out well for marley

Having lived in Montana and currently in Colorado, and spent a lot of time in Wyoming...
Wyoming would be my pick. Close enough to hunt all 3 states. Colorado has too many people almost everywhere you want to go. Montana has some great places, but Wyoming is still mostly low key and laid back. (Except Jackson and a few other select locales.) wyomings residents definitely get the better setup for a hunter and for a landowner/tax payer.
Buy a nice office selectively in nw Wyoming at the deflated prices in between oil and gas booms. Your timing looks to be great...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom