Moving to Alpine, CA (SD County)

leonard

I might be moving to Alpine CA with my family for the next 18 months or so. What kind of big game and small game hunting available? It looks D16 and D19 tags are still available in the Cleveland NF. It also looks like quail and hog hunting is an option. What kind of city is Alpine and eastern SD County? Thanks for the help. Leonard

depends on where you are coming from and what you will be comparing it to, first off its hot and smoggy but its a nice area, D-16 tags are still available, extremely tough hunting , smaller areas to hunt and lots of people . best hunting is on private land or waaaay back away from the road, we have a few pigs but very few, this last season was a good season for quail and a fair season for turkey, lots of coyotes and bobcats , you'll see a lot more illegal tracks in east county than deer tracks, but the weather is superb, 20 min from the ocean and 2 hrs from skiing, welcome to SD

Thanks guys. I should get the offer letter this week and being moving by months end. We are excited. Our home is in GJ, CO but we have been working on field projects for the past couple years in the midwest. Me and my wife are both adaptable people.

Is there any other areas in Southern CA that would be a better option for deer hunting, within a couple hours of Alpine that still have leftovers?

Glass Eye - Is there any public land to bird hunt on in the Imperial Valley? Or is it mostly leased land?

Thanks

The desert is nearly all public and the farmland is private. However, most of the farmland is open to the public. When I first moved to the Imperial Valley about 17 years ago, I was told that if the fields were not posted you could hunt them. I thought that I was being fed bad info so I asked our Game Warden and he confirmed it.
I know that CA hunters on this site who have never hunted the Imperial Valley will contest this. I also found it hard to believe because I grew up in the Sacramento area and you wouldn't dare just walk into some farmer's field to hunt.
The Imperial Valley is open to hunting where not posted, no need to ask for permission. Also, don't walk through vegetable crops or recently irrigated fields. You wouldn't want to walk through this mud anyways, it's the stickiest mud you'll ever see.
Give me a call and I'll take you out for upland and waterfowl.

That sounds like good hunting with good access. I'll definitely take you up on the offer for bird hunting.

I appreciate all the help.

Down around Julian you have a ton turkeys, get ready for next spring.
Glasseye has the hookups down there in the low desert, he will steer ya right.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Well it's not going to happen. The job offer was not what I was orginally told and the location would have been over in the Imperial Valley. So we are holding tight to our current job and we hope something works out this fall. Just thankful to have a job. I appreciate all you guys help, and let me know if you have any questions about CO or SD hunting.

Leonard

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

California Guides & Outfitters

Western Wildlife Adventures

Offering some fine Blacktail Deer hunting, Wild Pig hunts, Turkey hunts and Waterfowl hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer the top private land hunts in all of California, for blacktail deer, elk, pigs, bison and turkeys.

G & J Outdoors

Offering Tule elk hunts for bulls and cows on a 17,000 acre Ranch in Laytonville, CA with 100% success.

Back
Top Bottom