Moving to Boise/Meridian soon

goinhuntn

LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 09:24AM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Aug-09-12 AT 09:23?AM (MST)

Hey guys,
Planning to move to the area within the next couple months.
Was wondering if anybody could give me some leads for work? I am a licensed general contractor that specializes in remodeling, framing, finish carpentry and tile & stone. I know the wages are lower than california, but I need to get myself and my family out of here (by the way i am not from california, so I won't be bringing the bs mentallity with me). We are planning a trip there in the next couple of weeks to look for work and a place to live.
Any leads you guys could provide about who to talk to would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I don't have a specific lead for you, but will say that construction pace has picked up this year. I do think some of the local unemployed trades people have moved on to the Dakotas with the boom there.

Good Luck.

Gazelle,
We have been there a few times. My wifes uncle has a place in McCall. We have been trying to move to meridian/boise for the last couple of years, but things have been tough with work. Now I don't have much work here in california and the time is right if I can get my foot in the door and find work up there.

Thanks for the replys guys. I think Idaho is an awesome state!
I will be heading up there in the next couple of weeks to look for work. My wife is nervous she is a native californian, and doesn't know any different. I keep telling her this is not the place to raise our kids not to mention its not fair to me that
we stay her just cuz she is from here. She knows work is tough right now, and I keep telling her we have a better chance in Boise than here dealing with all the illegals taking our work. I hope I can make this move work or I will never hear the end of it. YOU KNOW WHAT THEY SAY HAPPY WIFE HAPPY LIFE.

I live on the outskirts of Meridian and commute to work. It is a nice place to raise a family. Traffic can get a little crazy, but probably nothing you are not used to.
Construction is picking up, but wages are still low. I would recommend that you get in with a group that picks up foreclosures and clean up properties to get your foot in the door. That and get some type of advertising on your trailer/truck. That will help get you noticed. This might be a good time to get established, cause this place is poised to grow. I came up here in '01 and saw some good times and bad times. But that the way construction goes...
If you have any questions about where to live (pros/cons), let me know. I am happy to help.

Tank,
thanks we are looking around meridian at some of the subdivisions like paramount, lochsa falls, saguaro canyon that area.

If you are looking to buy a house in that area, it should be a good investment. That area will appreciate fast as things get better in the valley. But watch out for workmanship that is not up to par on the house. Those subs were built during the boom, and anyone with a truck and a few tools were becoming subcontractors. Workmanship was not the best. Not saying every house is that way, but there is going to be work in the near future for guys that can fix problems that were over looked in the building process.

We just bought a home in Nampa and are moving from California. I am born and raised in So. Calif. and do not have the "BS mentality" (one l in mentality) either. We have had enough of the Calif. crowding, traffic, taxes and liberal politicians. I have owned property in Elk Bend Idaho for 30 years and now can spend the weekends along with the hunitng seasons in "God's" country.
Paul
"Nice Rack" Taxidermy

I moved my family up a few years ago and love it. I have an insurance agency and I know that a lot of my clients that do contracting work have begun to pick-up some more work. I will keep my ears open.

Good luck! It is a wonderful place to live and enjoy the outdoors!

Hey Now TANK. I got a truck... Well had a truck... Even build a house or two...

Kidding aside you will love the Boise area. Yes work can be a bit tough to get, but once your in you should be fine. Put adds on craiglist and dont be afraid to do some radio adds. The weekend AM talk radio stuff is cheap to get air time.

If you need some contractors to work with or maybe some subs feel free to PM me and we can chat.

Have FUN- JB

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom