Mrs ktc's Mountain Goat

antlerrick

Very Active Member
Mrs ktc, Chris Colten, took her mountain goat at 8:30 am opening morning. It was a long steep hike up to where we found the goats, and after making a great 290 yard shot, the goat rolled amost to the bottom. I timed it on the video and it rolled for 55 seconds. It was a fun but tough hunt and I appreciate getting to share it with Chris and Ty, and want to thank Darwin Lay and his son for sharing their expertise with them..

4aad42927ae8e90c.jpg

4aad42b07b474807.jpg

4aad42c77b956783.jpg

4aad42db7bde5fa4.jpg

Nice job there Mrs ktc
Hamburger already?
Hopefully the truck was at the bottom?

we are YoungCountry, we like all kinds
of music and people, 'cause we do draw some lines'
no our hair is not orange,we don't wear chains and spikes
but we know how to have fun come Saturday night

Nice work and congratulations! Didn't waste any time in getting it done. Glad to see the pics....thanks AR. Now I guess it's on to the Dutton for you KTC?

Great goat. That must have been a long 55 seconds watching your Goat roll down the mountain.

From Mrs. ktc:

Thanks for all the nice congrats! It was a hard hike. I would say the hike was hard cuz I'm getting old, but I'm just out of shape. Darwin is older than me and made us all look pretty sad. He and his son can hike a mountain!!! I was soooooo glad for their help!

I was really calm when I pulled the trigger, then I started to get nervous as he kept tumbling down the shale. It seemed like he would never stop but he finally hit some trees. I think the roll helped us because I thought it got us closer to where the trail was.

When we got home Ty measured him at just under 46". Also, he cleaned him up.:) Sorry he wasn't cleaner for the pictures but the roll really knocked the crap out of his face.

Rick (AR) came up and video taped the whole thing, which I really, really appreciated. The shot felt good when I took it, but watching it on video and seeing the vapor trail of the bullet right before he crumpled was amazing. I shot it with a .300WM, which is a great rifle! I love the power of it. It's also what I shot my elk with a few years ago.

And, of course, I would still be up there trying to get it out without the help of Darwin and Dom. They are really nice people and I really appreciated their help!

Thanks -- I appreciate all the comments!
Chris (aka Mrs. ktc)

A 16 year old kid threw it all on his back, boned out, and carried it to the wheelers.

Very nice job mrs ktc...great goat. That had to be a LONG 55 seconds...looks like the horns took it well

great post/pic, thanks for sharing

JB
497fc2397b939f19.jpg

Congratulations Mrs. ktc, good shooting! Also nice to see antlerrick out!

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Way to go looks like you made a terrific shot.
Good job should have made that hunt instead of elk hunting sounds like the group had a great day.

Chris, congrats! Maybe this critter will be in the Ridgeline calendar as well. Wish I had the taxidermy issues you both have gotten yourselves into this year!
-Cody

LAST EDITED ON Sep-13-09 AT 10:28PM (MST)[p]Hi All, I had my daughter post the pics as I have been back up in the hospital with my wife, and the hosptial server wouldn't allow me to view Monster Muleys as there policy doesn't allow any websites that deal with "weapons"... Thought that was kind of lame, but anyway, I am working on making the hunt clip as I type this.
Eel, it was really one of the first big hunts I have been on since my ankle and knee surgery, and was really concerned when I started up that hill...Between ktc and I we were able to keep the others slowed down...lol... Right now every muscle below my waist feels like it was beaten with a baseball bat...
But after getting to experience and watch Chris smoke that goat was well worth the aches and pains. Like Chris and Ty mentioned, it was nice to have Darwin and Dom with us to pack the boned goat out. It was about all this old fat boy could do to get himself out of that mess and up to the wheelers.
Again, I appreciated Chris and Ty letting me tag along.
That is some awesome, beautiful country, but it is extremely rugged and tough to navigate.. and to finally get to meet Barbie face to face was amazing.. It was a good laugh when Ty pulled her out of his pack!!

Chris; congrats on getting a very fine goat. I am glad that long roll down the hill did not break off any of the horns. Should make a fine mount. Big congrats on some very fine shooting!!!

Ty, do not ever tick your wife off, she can shoot with the best of them. She earned her bragging rights on that goat the hard way. Now if your daughter connects, everything will be just perfect. Heck we may have to take up a collection to help you pay for all the new mounts the family has collected this year!

I am glad to see that there is good sportsmen out there still willing to help a hunter do the hard work after the trigger is pulled. Give them a pat on the back from all of us for being great sportsmen.

RELH

Outstanding Chris, way to go! That's a really nice goat. I'm amazed his horns didn't break in that fall, you're lucky!

Rick, good to see you back out and about, please give my best regards to Beverly.

It is good to be back out Dan. That was a tough hunt on me but a good confidence builder. I will feel a lot better about hitting the "easy" terrain now...LOL
I will let Bev know. She has had two surgerys in the past 5 days, but hopefully can start the long road to recovery. Thanks!

Good looking billy and a awesome barbie. LOL
Glad you "old folks" are holding up the torch for the rest of us.
Very nicely done.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Awesome goat!!! Congrats to all of you!
Hunting is my way of life
Sgt. Petersen
USMC OIF OEF Vet.

Congratulations! That is a great GOAT! Looks like you guys had a great time, I am glad that you were able to get one.

With Ty in the photo I did not even notice the goat being banged up! I mean compared to him it looks PERFECT.

Chris & Ty,

Congrats on a sweet goat. You guys sure don't beat around the bush, just got in there and got it done. I'd probably look like that after a tumble all the way down that rock pile! I'd be thrilled with a goat that size. Well Done! Ya did good.

I am too tired to post anything new. I wanted to go help camp stinky, but I am DONE!

Hey Guys,
I have just got up for the day! That hurt this old fart. The shale was unbelievably deep. The goat rolled down almost even in elevation with the wheelers. I was glad it all worked out like it did. This mountain was holding a small group of billies so we knew we could get in and get it done. I was very glad Rick came down and went. As you know Rick had to give back his late father in laws elk tag so we invited him along to go on a hunt. Darwin and Dom Lay saved our bacon. Darwin did all the skinning and quartering, Dom helped, then that 16 year old grabbed everything and put it in his pack and headed to the wheelers. Darwin to the hind quarters. Talk about life savers! That kid has a great work ethic and just wanted to help us old guys!

She made a great shot as you can see. I was very surprised, but her goat and bull 2 years ago both died by a single shot through the vitals. The cape got kind of beat up and teeth busted out, but the horns made it. The one horn is chipped off on the end, but I think that was an old break. He scores just shy of 46" which is very respectable. He was with a young goat and he was easy to pass. Her goat met all requirements but one. He had one finger of width between his horns, a good beard, a good hump, and nuts. He was only lacking the roman nose. alp and swb, dont be nervous. A good billie is easy to spot. I was hoping for 45+ so it all worked out. Especially with all the good help around us.

What an experience. It sure makes a guy appreciate having his youth and health. Rick and I were toast. I honestly dont think I could have went the next day. We did not see any other goat hunters. One truck pulled up in the area and bugled and left.

Thanks for that awesome video Rick! Luckily I forgot my spotting scope adapter so the tripod was useless to me, it fit Rick's camera perfect. Rick's son also offered to come help us out if needed. It is sure nice to know guys are willing to help. In fact, the whole crew was met thru MM and some point. Antler1 set me up with Darwin. Word on the street is Antler1 missed a 390 Saturday! Dale!?!?!?!

Good Job Ty.... Tell your wife congrats, that is a good looking billie. I watched the video, pretty crazy I bet you were wincing with each roll, looks like he came out alright though.

alp,

When are you going? I sit back and reflect and it was very fun to go chase something I have never chased. You are lucky you have a goat tag and cannot wait to see what you get. Please beat my wife and get a 47"+! My best advice is find a roman nose, big hump and beard, and no more than a finger width between the horns. I would take time to study the Alaska F&G quiz that eel put up on the other thread before you go. The big billies really stand out which I am sure you know since you have scouted relentlessly.

I apologize for the bloody mess. She took out his lungs and he was losing blood from his mouth and nose really bad. We tried to wash him up a little with our drinking water, but he was making a mess faster than we could wash it off. I got home and washed him off really good. I know it looks bad, but we had no options.

I hope I can draw before it gets too late. They are pretty cool animals. I liked what was mentioned above about them grazing. I swear they are eating rocks! Their hooves are soft with a hard outer edge. They are really worn and rounded. If I am counting the annual rings right he looks to be 5 or 6 years old? The coat on her goat had an unbelievable amount of sand imbedded in it. We are gonna try some goat back straps tonight? I am a little nervous, but will try it out. The teeth are chipped and worn. Those rocks like mentioned must be hard on them.

I cannot wait to get the entire DVD from Rick. There was quite a bit more to watch, but it was embarrassing the way I negotiate this stuff. I thought Rick and I were going to have to call Life Flight.

We sure appreciate all the nice comments. It is nice to set aside all the arguing we do for a minute when people kill a nice animal. I am way more excited for her than I ever would be if I had shot it. I would have missed!

KTC,

I went in on Saturday and put on a lot of miles and elevation for one day. I actually found a second billy on the other side of the basin that I would like to go after. So that is two in the same basin, just on different sides that are great goats. I was going to go after him on Saturday, but it was late afternoon and he was a long ways away and I was by myself. I would have for sure pulled an all nighter. So I decided to play it safe especially where I still have a lot of time to hunt. I was supposed to go back in today for three days, but with the current weather I decided to wait till Wednesday and I will stay in there Wed - Friday. It seems to me the billies coats are really starting to come in. Much more so than the nannies.

Let me know how that goat tastes. My wife is positive it's going to be bad and I am optimistic that it is going to be good. If it's bad we'll make it into jerky. Thanks for all the good information. I will post pics as soon as I put one down. I just need to be patient. The terrain they are in does not present many shots.

Great job. It looks like Ty and family has had one heck of a year. I'll say it again GREAT JOB!!!!

Awesome Goat Mrs. KTC!! That is a cool hunt I am sure and to nail him with one shot that is cool. Glad you all made it out okay and had plenty of good help! Thanks for sharing your hunt!

Chad

Sweet!
You'll be good as new in a few months, and ready to go do it again next year!
I know who I need to keep in mind when I draw my goat tag! lol!
------------------------------------------------------
"Yeah, I'll shoot him"

Sneekeepete, From Mrs. KTC: I should get my own log on. Anyway, Thanks for the message. I see you are a Marine. My brother joined and is waiting to go to Afganastan possibly in December. I am proud of all of you in the military who, in my view, have made it possible from the beginning to let me and others hunt like we do. Thanks for your service!!! Chris

How could they be "Chitty" Ty?

You seen what they were eating........air! or rocks!
So they weren't that good? That sucks... and all the hard work to get them out...too bad! .......

Well, I'll give it a shot, but if it tastes as bad as it sounds then we'll have to jerk the whole thing.

Heading out tomorrow morning for 3 days. I'll post up an update when I get back. Wish me luck.

Just getting caught up after my elk hunt and saw this thread. Big congrats to Mrs. KTC on a great goat!! I hope to be able to do that some day.

Congrats Mrs Ty and Ty!

I just got back from chasing bow elk in Wyoming for 9 days.....

I am off to Willard Peak on the 18th with my bud from Indiana that drew the Billie on Willard Peak.

He is strickly a bow hunter so I hope we do as well as the ktc crew!

congrats again!

Robb

KTC and MRS KTC,

congrats, lots of fun hunting goats on the Tuscher!

Did it roll down of the Marysvale side?

I was with a guy, could have shot a goat horses could have got to, but he waited, then goats went over the top, shot it down the other side, rolled a long ways, 9 hours later we got back to the horses, all of ONE more inch !

email a good pic if you can

Thanks Don. I will get you a good photo soon. Did you watch her video? antlerrick did a fantastic job. The video is down a few threads.

No he rolled the other way. I was impressed by the huge numbers of goats up on Beaver. We had help with us and when we found her billie, we knew he was a good goat, so we took him. We were not out to kill the new world record, but wanted a good mature billie. This one presented himself, and it was over. He is just shy of 46" so he is no slouch. I am guessing he was about 6 years old?

I told Paul he could use him in the expo if he wanted. We will see if that is something that would be of interest and if he has room for it.

Sounds like you also had a fun goat hunt on Beaver. One inch is quite a bit on these guys! Maybe one year I can do it once more?

alp,

He has good mass, but his length hurt him. Each horn is 8.5". How about your goat?

I would have to check mass. I am thinking 5.5" on the base? What was your base measurement alp?

KTC!!!!!! You and that da%&d barbie! I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Can you mail me barbie for my colorado deer hunt??? I figured if you pass your girl around enough that eventually she will be full of good luck from all of us guys passing her around. ROFL! I totally forgot about barbie. I will send you my mailing address. I want that doll. Just a week is all I ask. I promise I will send her back! ROFL!

You Freakin Moron! ROFDL!

4a9df39b7d637eb0.jpg

silly liberals, paychecks are for workers!

Hey Stinky,, I have Barbie reserved for my elk hunt in November, so unless you can promise to have her home before midnight, she can't go!!!! LOL...
This will be her first elk hunt so I am going to take it slow and easy with her and make it a memorable experience!!!
ktc....don't be pimping her out to anyone unless they can have her back....I've got my heart set on hunting with her!!

LAST EDITED ON Sep-28-09 AT 08:30AM (MST)[p]Mr & Mrs Ktc.....congrats on a great goat. The video was amazing, I would have never guessed that goat would roll so far. Sounds like you were able to share the adventure with a great group of people. For me that's what it's all about, you really find out who your friends are on a goat hunt!

I need dates stinky.

If you can have her back to Rick by his elk hunt then she is all yours.

And we need her up on the moose hunt too Ty... I think we'd have killed if we would have had her on Friday...LOL..

Congrats to the Mrs.

Sounds like a tough hunt and a fine shot. Love to see it when the gals get out there and show their marksmanship and toughness.

It's nice to see a girl be a sweetie once in awhile but give me a one who likes to mix it up with the guys and hangs right with them whether fishing or hunting. Job well done!!!

Joey

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom