Mt. Emily Bow Elk Huntin...

ruttinelk393

Does anyone know the Mt. Emily unit for bow hunting elk? I would like to either talk to someone from the area with knowledge and/or someone who recently hunted it.

Hello, Yes I live in Mt Emily as well as guide it as well. I was just up there last week and glassed a nice 370" class bull elk. I hunt private and public lands there. This past fall one of my hunters and I chased a 380" bull for a few days....just stayed ahead of us.

Does anyone have anyone have a contact that would be willing to pack out a kill during bow or rifle season, for a fee of course? I'm not so concerned about losing the meat during rifle season but am extremely concerned during bow season. A few a us in my family should start drawing starting next year and some of us are going to hunt rifle and some bow.

Does anyone know how many spike hunters there are hunting during the archery elk season in MT Emily? I have heard that the Wenaha can be overrun with spike hunters.

3Fletch

Rifle season there can be alot of spike hunters in all of those units, but archery season its minimal. Not an issue compared to rifle season. Rifle season its all about MORE days watching the bull you want to shoot, then actual hunting. Spend more days prior to hunt, and kill him on opening day. Just my opinion,

Bob

Bob: What is a realistic goal for a bull in this unit? Given that a person will spend the last two weeks in the unit hunting. I know you have guided some nice bulls out of the big three (Wenaha, Walla Walla, and MT Emily) but do you believe a guy should hold out (Archery) for a 350+ or shoot the first 330+ bull that comes in? I have already taken a 320 bull but I am looking for that next step (350). In your opinion would it be better to wait the extra 10 years and draw the Wenaha and hold out for a 380+ if indeed there are that many of them in there.

Thank you
3Fletch

>Does anyone know the Mt. Emily
>unit for bow hunting elk?
>I would like to either
>talk to someone from the
>area with knowledge and/or someone
>who recently hunted it.

ruttinelk393: I am looking for the same information I did not mean to hijack your post just wanted more information about the same unit. I think this will be a good unit but I wouldn't expect to top the bull you got this year... I am hoping for a 350+. I also have been applying for Utah, I have seen bulls there over 400". It will be a while before I draw that one.

3Fletch

3fletch,
I would not hold out for another decade for Wenaha. Mt Emily is upcoming, Wenaha is sliding. I would hunt first part of season, not last. ALL the big bulls are screaming last part of season, and yes, You will see alot big bulls, but they all got the cows, and rarely come in. Early season is not as much fun hunting, but you best chance for the monster bulls is early! I would turn down 330 class bulls, first half of the hunt, hold out for 350"+. Last season my Outfitter tag holder and I chased a 380" class bull for 4 days, never got in closer than 70 yards. Whoever buys my Mt Emily archery tag in 2009 will be hunting wallows forst 10 days of the season. I got several HOT wallows, but they stopped using them latter part of season. a few bulls 360-380 class were hitting them.

So where are you guys in the points game and are you residents? I am nonres and have 8 points and trying to wait for mt emily too but the points keep creaping up but after waiting this long I hate to give up because I want a quality hunt for big bulls and don't think there is another draw unit that compares that is drawable as a nonres. nwhunter

Ruttinelk393 I have got 10 pts and this yr i am seriously considering putting in for the archery hunt. I have heard nothing but good things about Mt Emily and your chances of killing a great buck and bear are pretty good to If I get it I am wondering what part of the season would be best to go. I am even thinking about going over and looking around the first of august so you can bear hunt and also lots of color phase bears.

Last year was a tougher year to kill a great big bull in the unit because every thing was green clear past the end of the season. I found that if 1 person in a hunting party had the golden tag he would have 2 more guys holding just spike tags. The spike hunters were hunting for any bull branch or spike. If one of them could kill a big bull then the branch tag holder would tag it. I am not saying all the camps were doing that but 1 camp for sure was, got in a heated argument with that fat boy up on a mountain.

whtelk: Was that during the archery season or the rifle season? I would be a little ticked off if I finally drew the tag and someone without the tag messed up a chance at a bull of a lifetime.

Thank you all for your replies...

No worries on HiJacking. I wanted more info and I appreciate you heating it back up. I agree that the best chance for the big boys is early. Everyone always assumes the last week is best. I lived in CO for a while and the sheer numbers of elk taught me many things and therefore my preference is get them when they are roaming. I think a hunt like that, a guy would have to almost try to take 2 weeks off so you can pass on those bulls under 350 the first week and give yourself another week with some lower standards-which should be enough time to find a good bull if your hunting smart and hard. We are considering drawing Mt. Emily this year and if we do, I certainly will report back in detail.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 09:29PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-31-08 AT 09:24?PM (MST)

>Ruttinelk393 I have got 10 pts
>and this yr i am
>seriously considering putting in for
>the archery hunt. I have
>heard nothing but good things
>about Mt Emily and your
>chances of killing a great
>buck and bear are pretty
>good to If I get
>it I am wondering what
>part of the season would
>be best to go. I
>am even thinking about going
>over and looking around the
>first of august so you
>can bear hunt and also
>lots of color phase bears.
>

i would have to disagree with the chances of killing a great buck with a bow during the archery elk hunt in mt emily. even laying eyes on a 'good buck' with a spotting scope is quite a feat these days. most of the late season mule deer hunters, elk hunters and cattle ranchers never saw a buck that would honestly gross over 180 or maybe even 170 this year.

as far as timing for killing a big bull, of the ones i know of over the past 10 years, 90% of them are killed before mid sept in NE oregon. i will agree about the spike hunters, lots of them, especially along the roads and flats, get 1000 feet down in some dark hole where the big bulls lay up in the daytime and you will be lucky to see a sole all season

as far as the bears, bring lots of friends with bear tags too, you shouldnt have much trouble seeing 5-10 bears a day in august. most of them will be in spots were a normal guy wouldnt want to pack em out of though.

Vaquero are the elk pretty responsive to calling over there and what would be the best time to go if you did draw out. Also are the bears pretty big over there and are there lots of color phase that is really what i am after.

LAST EDITED ON Jan-01-09 AT 09:11PM (MST)[p]>Vaquero are the elk pretty responsive
>to calling over there and
>what would be the best
>time to go if you
>did draw out. Also are
>the bears pretty big over
>there and are there lots
>of color phase that is
>really what i am after.
>

in 2004, the last time i had the archery tag, me and two friends hunted hard almost every day of the season and called to dozens of bulls, we only got one bull all season to come in to calling. it was pretty tough hunting, we ended up just trying ambush, or sneaking in on the big ones when they were really hot. when you get down in those draws the wind seems to change directions constantly. sitting over a wallow early on would probably be a good idea as was mentioned.

of the bears i saw last year i would say 80% black. 10% some shade of blond, and 10% some shade of red or brown. most of the colored ones were pretty rough looking probably young i guess. i did see one big shiny light blond bear. saw about 30 bears i would guess, most of them are across the canyon and moving would be hard to get on them. last year for some reason after about the middle of august i stopped seeing bears, in july and early august they were everywhere.

Vaquero do you live in that general area if you do what a sweet place to live. Anyway what is a realistic goal for a bull on a 10 day hunt I dont need to kill a 350 370 class bull It would br nice but alot of it is the expieriance for me. were the bulls pretty vocal when you guys hunted it in 2004.

When I hunted it in the 80's they were very vocal, of course back then only a few of us were calling them. It sounds like the bears (cougars)are a real problem for the calf survival. The bull ratio seems to be climbing... I hope the winter is not to hard on them, for the ones who draw next year and in the future...

LAST EDITED ON Jan-10-09 AT 05:41PM (MST)[p]BMA: Are you Jon wick? If not, I was under the impression that Jon had the only permit for the wenaha? If you are not him, do you work for him? If you are him, hows it going buddy?

No, Jon is owner of a different business. I am the owner of Blue Mountain Adventures in La Grande, Oregon. We go into the draw each winter for the following year, for what Outfitter tags we get. I happen to draw Wenaha, Walla Walla and Mt Emily this year. You have to have a permit to guide in these units, or a letter of good standing with the USFS in order to apply in each unit. Happy Hunting!

Bob Staples
Blue Mountain Adventures

So are those outfitter tags weapon specific or can you choose the season. What do you think the wenaha tag will go for?nwhunter

Nope, depend what tag you are interested in. I drew some archery, and some rifle. Depends on which Wenaha tag your refering about. $10,000 and up for the Wenaha tag and hunt.

BMA: I have been applying for the Walla Walla as a non res for a rifle tag and have 10 points. I was wondering since you have been getting the tag as an outfitter, does this mean i have no chance of drawing this tag since guides have first choice of non resident tags.

WAHUNTER,
Only one nonresident tag is given out each year to nonresidents in Walla Walla and Wenaha. Every other year, that one tag is awarded to one of us Outfitters in those units. This year, I have those tags, so you next chance is next year. Unless you buy one of my guaranteed tags. Guys that buy my tags, still get to accumulate a preference point too! If it was me, I would switch to Mt Emily. Just my opinion.

Bob Staples

BMA, I live in wallowa, and work with Del Sol Wilderness Adventures, so I know the game, just wondered if you were jon or not.

Back
Top Bottom