Mt. Emily Bull

go4steelhd

4724pb080674.jpg

I would like to start with if your on here just to bash on me or Blue Mountain Adventure the outfitter I was hunting with, stop here. I have seen how a few people on here are just haters. But for the people that would like to hear the story and see the photos read on.

We watched this bull for 3 hours feeding in a clearing the night before season opened. There was also probably 5 other people watching him too. So we knew we would have company in the morning; but after seeing a bull like that it was worth a chance of getting him. We walked down the ridge before light and had 4 guys about 300 yards behind us walking down. We got to a spot we were going to sit and set up and waited for light. While glassing this basin I kept expecting to hear a gun crack off and the big bull to be downed by another hunter. But the bull never showed up. So we went to the next basin mid morning thinking he had moved over one. We had a 330 or 340 bull come into range but he would not stop for a shot. Watched this basin until dark and only a 300 bull stepped out at dark. The next morning we checked another basin and it was raining snowing and blowing; nothing showed. That night we checked another basin and saw a 310 bull a long ways off in the spotting scope. Day three we found the big bull again but he fed into the timber before I could get a shot. The wind was right so it was just a waiting game for him to get up and feed that night. At 1:45 pm the weather turns to hail. I see a bull in the timber and can see the chest and the back of the horns but it was not him. That bull ran out the bottom and visibility went to almost nothing. A cow starts running for the timber and then I see a whopper running behind her. He is getting closer. I could not find him in the scope so I turned it down. As he gets close to the timber, I got him in the scope and he slows to a walk. He's about ten yards from the timber so I touch one off behind the shoulder he humps up and stops. So I follow up with one more shot and he runs into the timber. Then we went around the basin and found him about 20 yards from where I had shot him. What joy a hunt like this brings and walking up on a true bull of a life time. Thanks Bob for putting me on a bull like this. For those that care about score. This bull scores in the mid 370's and would be 385 if he had not broken tips off of four points.

Remember if your just posting to hate keep it to yourself. I'm just posting for those of you who want to hear the hunting story from the hunter.

My gosh sir...that is ONE FINE BULL! Not too often can we even come close to taking something of that caliber and I congradulate you on this success. I'm sure it will live in your memory forever, as mine does. Each year this outfitter produces fine animals and someday (soon I pray) I will be able to afford their services. Until then, I pack my own crap into the "general area woods"!

Blue MT Outfitters is top-notch and I have never said anything negitive about them. Only people that are "negitive" to life in general usually have something "negitive" to say about everything or situation.

congrats to you again!

muleyman

Really great bull - congrats. I've hunted that unit in the past and know it pretty well. Seen some good bulls, but that one is as good as they come - especially in Oregon!!!

No Mike that is a different bull. This one is just a touch bigger, and a different part of the unit. Its hard to believe Oregon is starting to produce bulls like this, and it was a true blessing to be able to harvest him.

Great bull for sure. Havent heard negative about Blue Mnt. It is obvious he knows NE Oregon elk, as well as a stand up guy. Congrats again aon a dream bull. JB

What a great bull. Was archery hunting close to there this year. Saw some whoppers. Congrats.

hey what was up with that big black spot on his right shoulder? it made him so easy to identify. we were on this bull for the first couple days, after that other guy shot the 5 point he ran out right below us, around the timber draw, and up to where you guys shot him( right by where we were looking opening morning). it was a little different from my perspective, but good for you guys to kill him. I got some shaky video of him the morning before you killed him. we could just not figure out that black spot?

oh, and as far as the "haters", as long as a guy tells the story just like it happened and doesn't hide anything, whats there to hate? sounds like you guys put a good hunt on that bull, good job;)

The black spot was were an unlucky archery hunter hit in the shoulder blade. He was about three inches from this bull going on the wall.

Congratulations! Probably the biggest killed during the rifle hunt. I shot one Friday of the rifle hunt in the NF of the Umatilla that is 345 and I heard that Colby and his buddies got one that was 360ish...I would love to see pictures of it!!!

I've never posted a picture before, but I'll try. I'll start a new thread, I don't want to hi-jack this one.

KB....your story has so many holes in it. Its pretty funny! This bull was killed a long ways away from where he was the night before season opened! This bull NEVER ran anywhere the whole morning I watched him! He fed across the hillside and entered the draw where we killed him.

After Pm with KB I think that he probable seen that bull shortly before I shot it. No one will ever no for sure weather he was bedded in front of me or got pushed to me anything is possible. Regardless this post was just to admire a true Oregon trophy not to throw dirt.

blue mtn, i'm not downing you at all, i think your more worried about it than anyone. Why is that? Fact is I HAVE VIDEO OF THE BULL THAT MORNING. you can very easily believe that thats the way it happened,it didn't, but i guess everything looks different depending on the ridge your standing on.
And Theres no question where he was killed at, your truck and winch gave that away;)

First things first, Matt and Bob, congrats that is a dandy. Looks just like the one I missed two years ago. Had same black spot on right shoulder.:D BUT, I got to know? Did the dog get the hell beat out of him this year? Bob won't fess up to me.... That damn dog should of learned last year! Sorry, couldn't help myself :)

Lol not this year! We were not there long but standard pancakes n eags and hamburgers and homemade beef stew. Never got a chance to cook up the steaks! Guess we killed the bull too early!lol

Lol you guys are funny. No dog up this year but I'm sure he had to have learned. The food was great. We tried to order pizza hut but we were outside their delivery area it turns out. Thanks for all the nice comments guys. Hey it wouldn't be any good if some one didn't try to get on here to bring drama. I guess a bull that size is worth making up rumors about for some.

Very nice bull, congrats. These kind of pics won't help the draw odds though! nwhunter

Yep, everyone that has been applying for Walla Walla, it's time to go to Mt. Emily. You been wasting your time. All those big WW bulls headed south:p

What a great looking Bull.
CONGRATS
"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

Back
Top Bottom