Mt. Goat Pictures

tbryson7

My son and I were scouting this week end and located what we thought was a pretty nice goat. I apologize for the grainy pictures but he was quite aways away.

Curious to know what others think. Its pretty hard to judge these animals but I'd like to know what others think.

211100_1153.jpg

3307100_1151.jpg

tbryson7;
Big head, long face, big body, big horns! He looks good to me!
You'll need to wait for the hair to grow out so you end up with the other half of the trophy.
Before I hunted them they all looked the same to me. You'll get to where you can tell them apart as a glance. Look at a bunch of goats, pick a good one, shoot and be happy!
Cool pix, brings back good memories, THANKS!
Where is your hunt? Utah?
Zeke

Thanks Zeke. The tag is for Idaho, up in the Sawtooths. Just hope he's still around when I'm packing a rifle.

Do you have a brother Kurt that lived in Boise/Meridian for a short time?

Small world tbryson7!

Tim, did you have a bighorn tag last year?

Ya, Kurt is standing right here! He's one of my business partners now in Real Estate in Utah.
He said "good luck and have fun"!
If we can help with photo ID etc feel free to ask.
We don't know it all but we tell people we do! LOL

Zeke

I did have a sheep tag last year. We busted our butt but just weren't able to get it done. Hardest thing I've ever done but well worth the experience. We ended up seeing just one ram, young one so I chose to wait for another day. Can't wait to draw that tag again.

I'm one of those lucky guys you love to hate; a sheep tag one year and a goat tag the next.

I have enjoyed reading your posts for a while now. You guys definately know your sheep. I'll keep you guys updated as the season goes along.

tbryson7
You have me mistaken for a guy that gets angry when others have good tags. Those guys usually don't make application and then whine when guys like us draw tags (I've had a few good tags).
I say "good for you"!
I hope you have a fantastic experience on your goat hunt!
Kurt said you guys busted azz on your hunt last year. Darn tough area too. I flew over it, with my wife, a couple years ago. Vertical takes on a whole new meaning.
Please keep us all posted about your scouting and the hunt. I love to cheer for people we know.
Zeke

I'd say that is an excellent goat. Especially for ID.

Mine in unit 39-1 was a 6 yr old billy and had 8 3/8 inch horns. This one is better than that.

The hair at the end of Sept, first of Oct will be great!

tbryson7;

Tim, when is your hunt? We were just thinking about you today. We will be working our azzes off (in the office) while you have a grand adventure!

I have been spotting goats for a friend of mine who has a tag in the unit I hunted last year. We've found him a bigger billy than mine! Cool! We'll be there in 2 1/2 weeks!

Keep us informed on your hunt please.

Zeke

Well the time has finally come. We're leaving today to see if we can find this guy. Talk about being excited, as I'm writting this I can feel the anxiety and have probably thought of every possible scenario you can imagine.

We had a great hunt. These animals really live in some pretty ugly and scary country. First thing in the morning we made our way to a peak that sat right in the middle of a big bowl. We were able to see a group of 7 right off the bat to the West but about half way down the ridge they were on. To the east we located a group of about 4 again about half way down they ridge they were on. Both groups were about a mile from where we were sitting.

We decided to slip off the peak and then slowly work our way to the east along the ridge line and peak into each shoot of shale rock to see if something was hanging out a little closer.

The first shoot had a nanny, a kid, and a young (last years) billy bedded about 60 yards, never knew we were there. We kept going and looked into the next shoot and spotted one down quite aways all by its self. We watched it for 10 minutes before it bedded down for its mid-morning nap.

I don't know if it was the excitement, the fact it was within range, or that the other goats we saw earlier were so far away but this was going to be the one. We watched it for about 20 minutes, I could tell the horns were long and it was a big body. It was all alone with no other goats around, so as I went through the process of elimination (billy vs nanny)I decided to take it as soon as it stood up.

My first two shots hit it solid but it didn't go down, just stood there. Before I could get another one in it began to walk away. I knew it was hit really hard so I began to work my way down to. As I began to work my way down through the rock and shale I was falling and sliding sometime 5'-6' before my footing would catch. I got to where it was bedded and located it 50 yards to the left and put one more in it. It collapsed and I thought it was over. Then the dumb thing had to kick and rolled another 50 yards coming to rest against a rock.

I got up to it and was tickled to see the length of the horns, there was a slight let down when I realized it was a nanny and not a billy but I couldn't be happier now. She measured 9 3/4" on one side and 9" on the other. Fish and Game aged her at 12 1/2. She had just one front tooth left in her month and her molars were down to the gums.

Took well over an hour to climb back up to the top of the ridge (400 yards), one baby step at a time. That's the hardest stuff to climb out of, shale and loose rock with a back pack full of stuff.

2180100_1208-1.jpg

4537100_1203-1.jpg

Here's a picture of her one tooth. Pretty narly.

6025100_1214.jpg

Cool pics and a great story. Congratulations!

Thanks for sharing your hunt with us.

The old goat was probably going to die this winter with the gnarly, toothless, age problem. Perfect goat to harvest.

Best regards, Zeke

You just saved her one miserable winter.

Nothing like killing a big old animal.

Congrats.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom