Mt. Mtn goat area 325

R

ram100

Just curious if anyone had expereince with this area and how this unit would be to hunt. Would mid October access be tough?

Maybe tough, maybe easy. You might be wearing a t-shirt or you might be sitting at the trailhead with 2 feet of snow. Chances are, it will be nice though. If you get drawn, let them get shaggy and fly the area before you go to save you some time and money.

Thanks, Zig. I really want a long haired goat. DO you have suggestions or thoughts on this area as far a being good or bad?
Don't really need BC, just a nice billy.
Thanks again

ram100
Depends what your opinion of good and bad are, and also your view of a "nice billy". It also depends on whether or not your going to risk a once in a lifetime tag because you "really want a long haired goat". I suggest that you check out the Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks website. There is alot of information that can be found there if your willing to do some research. In my opinion this unit is a decent unit for goats and any unit you draw a goat tag in is a "good" unit.
ismith

If you want long hair then don't go until the 3rd week of October or later. November is the safest bet. I wish I could say I have goat hunted a lot but it's basically a once in a lifetime hunt unless you have friends that draw every year. If you draw, make sure you fly the area. It may sound like cheating but you don't want to screw around in snow any more than you have to. It could save you time and agony just finding them. I would say you could definately get a nice billy in that area.

Thanks a lot you guys for the info. My idea of a good goat would be a 9" billy. A good hunt to me would be being able to get to the goats and make the most of a once in a lifetime tag. It is hard to make a decision from the list where nonresidents can apply not having any first hand expereince. I have studied the Montana FWP website quite a bit. How far from trailheads to goat country? I could bring my horses.
Thanks again

I'd bring the horses, no sence in being worn out before you start hunting... most all the trail heads sit at about 5500-6000 feet and the goats live up around 9,000 and up. You're looking at about 3-4+ miles in one way so camping would be the way to go as well. If you draw a tag shoot me an emial, I have a pretty good feel for that area. I've seen em on just about every mountain that unit. I've been about run over by them a time or two as well. ;) Although I tried to help a guy from here last year and I don't think he killed one... for what ever reason... but I'll try.

My pick for time of year is the third week of Oct. They'll be haird up by then, no other hunters in the mountains as its between bow and rifle season and the liklyhood of getting snowed-out is significantly less as opposed to later.

I personally wouldn't want to be in those mountains that high up any later than the first week of Nov. There is a big diffrence in snow depth between the 6-8000 level were the elk are hunted, compared to where the goats are. Butt deep snow is very possible by the end of OCT. If for some reason you can't get your hunt in until later there are some pretty accessable wintering areas in that unit as well.

Good luck with the draw, but I might just be drawing against ya so... I hope I get your tag! :)

If any of you get drawn, let me know. I spend a lot of time in the area and I have great access. In fact, I'm looking at goats there right now.

Keep area 323 in mind also. Used to be a good goat area. Around Mt. Wallace. Beautiful country.

I have had the tag in 326, I would not wait until November if I were you, I went the first time the first week of October with horses 6 miles to base camp, hair was mid length and looked pretty good. Lakes were icing over already on 10/4. I know guys who have killed in November but they used tuff bred mountain horses and waded through 3 feet of snow. These are very very rugged mountains, steep, with lots of exposure and scree, be very careful. One of the toughest hardest hiking guys I know got shut out last year, in late October because of deep snow and animals that migrated into another area. I would fly the unit the first week of October and go the next day. A good billy in their is 9" most below some above. Get above them and be careful.
hunterrunningfrombearlgclr5ju.gif

LAST EDITED ON Apr-16-06 AT 02:00PM (MST)[p]Sorry Sheepeater...You are going to have to show us your goat pics from 326. Here's mine from 11/1/01. Don't dilly dally either! The next two weeks after I killed this one the weather was warm and sunny and a lot of the snow melted. You just can't ever tell I guess. A friend of mine drew in '97 and it was t-shirt weather the last week or two of the season.

novbill.jpg

mmg.jpg

Congratulations Zigga!!!!! on that fine look goat. O to only only dream, have been working whose one of those TAG more than 10 year in several different states maybe this year.

Congratulations Zigga

I think Zigga is right on as far as flying the area...Unless you are willing to spend a ton of time in there.

I had 326 last year and sorta F'd the dog...I thought it was going to be an easy hunt...hike up, glass around and decide which goat to shoot, then go stalk him..

Well, after the first day I put my longbow away and started carrying my rifle. I could have shot a few nanny's, but thats not what I wanted. In about 7 good days of glassing A LOT of good looking goat country, I never spied a good billy.

If I had that tag again and knew what I know now, I would have dedicated my fall to it. I would have been in there in August and September and early October scouting and hunting deer and elk, then KNOWN where to be when the hair got long...the weather can be a bugger though.

We had high wind and at least some clouds almost every day I was in there. When I left there in early November the snow was real deep at 9500...the goats were at 9500-10,500 or so and where it wasn't blown off, it was not fun to walk in!

It was a learning experience ROYAL and I have my tag pinned on the bulletin board in front of me right now...always a reminder to NEVER take anything for granted!

Good Luck if you get drawn.

Ernie

Still feeling for you Ernie. Just think, 7 short years and you are back in the game. Sorry bad joke. I still have to wait until '08, before I am allowed to play again. Too bad everyone else will have 7 points on me.

Yeah, I am not holding my breath for another MT tag....I may start applying in Washington and Idaho....we'll have to see...

Ernie

I second the timing. My hunt in 2003 started out with a 2-day delay because of the snow. We had exactly 3 days to get it done before the next storm came in. 6 inches of snow on Day 1, then beautiful weather for the next two. We ended up shooting a fine billy on that day, and got out in time to watch the snow fly again!

44510f086e34ea0f.jpg

44510fae6f322f91.jpg

Well, since one horn was shattered during the roll down into those rocks, not well. But if he'd been equal, right around 48.

I didn't care! I got him despite a fractured knee, so he goes down as my most hard-earned!

Well thats a bummer, but the experience is worth more than the score in my book. The Madison range is some tough country, way to stick with it! :)
ismith

I know this is a really old post but...I drew a goat tag in 325 this year. If there is anyone who could give me some updated info it would be greatly appreciated! I have hunted elk there before and have some familiarity with the area. I have NEVER hunted mountain goats before and am doing my research.

I know this is a really old post but...I drew a goat tag in 325 this year. If there is anyone who could give me some updated info it would be greatly appreciated! I have hunted elk there before and have some familiarity with the area. I have NEVER hunted mountain goats before and am doing my research.
Start a new thread if you want responses.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom