MT unlimited area

martinc

Guys
I know that the unlimited area of MT is very rough country - I read Jones story in his book - One man, one rifle, one land. I also know about the quota system, success rate... Anybody hunted the area before and can tell me more about the place, or the time it takes before they close the season. Thanks

Martin

I cant answer any of your questions. I've thought about that hunt many times....I think if I ever decided to do it, I'm going to do heavy research and scouting for at least one full year, maybe two, before I go for it.

I can't tell you a thing, either. But I have been intrigued by the idea. If you hire a guide that really knows his stuff and give you a good chance to succeed, it will cost a lot. There have been those that have DIY'ed, but I think you have to be honest with yourself about your abilities and desire to pull it off. It might be good to form a "team" and rotate years when you would be the shooter and you would be logistics support.

In his book, Jones got a good ram with a guide, mentionning that it was the toughest place to hunt he ever saw, and the guy went everywhere in North America. They hiked 11 miles before establishing a base camp.
I would certainly go with another man, may be taking turns or at least having an agreement on who would be the shooter. You may want to rotate each day or something like that...I'm certainly not ready for that kind of hunt, but maybe in 2-3 years. First I need to experience other places...

I have never hunted it and am no expert on the unit, but I think the guides are very efficient and the unit closes within days of opening.

Depends on the unit. Some stay open quite a while, and other close after a few days. Some units are only open a week. Personally I woudn't drop that kind of coin and hunt an unlimited area in MT on a guided hunt. The areas don't produce many trophy quality rams. The success rate for non guided hovers around 7% in some areas while others at near 1% if I remember right. I hunted it one year. IT was fun as he!! but I don't think I'll spend that kind of money as a NR to do it again. If I still lived in the state I'd do it again in a heart beat though!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom