Mud and Snow Tires???

B

bucksandducks

Just wondering what are some of the better tires for mud and snow? Hunted Wyoming last year and my tires did not perform very well I had to put chains on while most hunting rigs did not. Looking for a tire that will perform well on the highway and in the Mud.

This is the best tire I have ever used! And trust me I put these things to the test! I have not had one flat in the last 3 hunting seasons with these. And they have gone every where I wanted them to. love them

http://lesschwab58.reachlocal.net/tires/light_truck/opencountry_mt.asp

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

How do they run on the road?
How long do they last? Fuel mileage?

Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

I am on my second set of Toyo Open Country M/T and I couldnt be happier. I have never had a flat and they are relatively quiet on the road compared to BFG M/T and Wrangler MTR's. I rotated my last set every 4-5k/miles and I was able to get 41k miles on them.

They are good on the road like he said above. And I've been getting at lest 40k on them. The set on my truck is 3 years old. I will need new ones before next hunting season.

("For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast. Ephesians 2:8-9")

I put some open countrys on my truck in oct and i hate them they are allready chiping out and i don't have that many miles on them. I couldnt pass up the deal i got on them i have never had any luck with toyo. I am going back to the cooper stt.

i am on my second set of toyo's, they dig in the snow and mud! but i have chips in my tread already too and they are only 3 month old. seem to ride a little rougher unless your driving a half ton.

The Toyo M/T's are excellent tires. The longevity of the tires depends on what size you are getting. They use different rubber compounds for different sizes. I get alittle less fuel mileage because the tires are alittle heavier than most tires..

I have the Toyo Open country's as well. They are great tires! My past experience has been when you run mud terrains you need to be careful driving in the rain. The open contry M/T's have great grip and have never felt them break loose once on wet pavement. I've never had a flat either. I've put almost 60K on them and will need to change them out this year. These tires have many more miles on them than I got out of my OEM tires. 285/75/15's on a 2005 Toyota Tacoma.

just put a set of BF goodrich all terrain on my 4-runner that's the third set and it has over 300,000.miles on it getting almost 100,000 a set

I have 110,000 miles on my 04 Dodge ram 3500 and am partway through my second set of tires...the first were the BFG KM M/T that lasted about 70,000. The second set is what the old BFG's became, the KM2 M/T's....I doubt I'll ever switch to a different tire....I do get them siped....They are the best tires in every condition....dry, wet, snow, ice, no worries! I have only put chains on one time when I was driving in 3-4 feet and finally got high-centered......America's Tire Company seems to have the best price.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-11-10 AT 07:33PM (MST)[p]ok i have to call BULLSH*T on how many miles you guys are getting! i have tried about every tire from mud to all terrains.
i have a dodge 2500 cummins running 285/75/16 and i cant get tires to last more than 12-15k im reading people getting 40,50 even a 100,000 miles! that is a load of bs no way are you getting that kind of mileage unless your driving rangers or tacomas. even then 100,000 miles no way! years ago i drove a tacoma and didnt get to finish using up the tread on goodyear workhorse but those were the best tires i have ever owned but they dont make them bigger than 265's so i dont run them on my dodge.
the best tires i have run on this truck so far are kelly safari tsr's they are a newer tread and i really like them they are half worn with a little over 9k on them im hoping to get 20,000 outta them if i can. they are also one of the few you can get in 10ply on 285's

?It takes a genius to whine appealingly.?
Mr.Whiny

Best I have done is 33,000ish on my BFG Mudders and ATs. There was certainly tread left but it was worn down enough that I didn't want to depend on them anymore. I didn't want to be that guy that pushed too long on a set then ended up paying for it when a tire failed.

Wade
www.HardcoreOutdoor.com

Toyo Midd Terain, 35x1250x20
I just swapped them out. I had 44k miles on them.

I put on Nitto Trail Grapplers. They are very quiet, lots smoother than the Toyo tires. But I loved the Toyo. Great traction, and lasted 44k miles.

You are NOT going to get over 40k on mud tires.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-12-10 AT 07:56PM (MST)[p]Theox,
Yeah, I'm with you. I have had several 2500 Cummins and I drive with 1500 pounds in the back all the time.
I am happy if I get anywhere close to 30K, usually just over 20K and I have tried every tire I can buy.
Maybe it's our truck?
Ed

If you ain't the lead dog,
the view never changes

I'm a Dodge/Cummins guy as well and I got 35+ out of 20" Nitto Terra Grapplers but they are NOT a mud tire. They are pretty good for most terrain but deep snow and mud, forget it as they load up too much. I have done less off roading on the second set and I have 30K on them and I would guess I have at least 10K or 15K more left on them. I think my next set may be Toyo's or open country's if they make a 20".
BB

I had Nitto Mud Grapplers in the Snow and they were amazing. I was going everywhere the chained vehicles were going. They balance out great for a mudder (better than the BFG AT I had), only problem is they are loud as hell on the highway. I changed them at around 35k, but they really should have been changed earlier (25k). I would have gotten another set, but the wife couldn't stand the noise. I went to Nitto Trail Grapplers, don't know on their performance yet. Their tread pattern is very close to the Toyo's.

Well Theox, I'm not lying. I bought my truck brand new and it came with Michilin tires that were awsome on the highway. I didn't like how they looked, so at about 6,000 miles I bought the BFG mudders at ATF and had them siped....I did rotate them every 3,000-4,000 miles, whenever I got the oil changed.

At about 75,000 miles they were getting pretty warn down so I tried to buy the second set of BFG mud tires and found out they don't make them anymore, they came up with something new, the KM2, so I bought those....I am up to 113,600 miles on these ones.

It is a 1 ton. I hardly tow anything with it, mainly because I don't own anything to tow, so I tow friends boats and trailers once in a while. It is my daily driver, I drive 33 miles to and from work every day, aver 65 miles a day, and I work 4 days a week. I take it hunting a lot too...maybe I got lucky...I know I am expecting to get about the same from the 3rd set!!!

I just took a set of BFG A/T off of my 2001 F-350 Powerstroke and replaced them with a set of Wrangler Dura-Tracs. I've had BFG A/T's on 4 or 5 trucks and I have been pretty happy with them.In fact I just got 42K miles off the set I just replaced. I don't haul too much but it is my daily driver and hunting rig. I was running 315/75-16 with the BFG's. I bought a set of Toyo Open Country Muds and hated them. I guess that is what you get when you try to be like everyone else :) I had them on for 3000 miles and they were wearing already. They also slipped all over the place in the snow. They also had a really mushy feeling to them even after I played with the tire pressure. They were a 285/75-16. The guys at Schwab's said they weren't really designed for heavy diesel trucks but everyone buys them cause they are trendy. I don't know. Anyhow, I put the Wrangler Dura-Tracs on and love them. I just got back from Wyoming pulling a 3-horse 17' trailer in a snow storm, on icy roads with no problems. They did feel a little mushy when I first got them but that went away after about 500 miles. Hope that helps.

I have a 97 f250 diesel with the bfg km2. I've got about 25k on them and they are about 50% worn. I've rotated about 8k miles. They have performed well from deep mud and snow to highway with a horse trailer. I got mine from discount tire price was good and you can't beat the warranty.

I went the unconventional route and bought some Hankook 10 ply ATM tires 285 75 r17. They look a lot like the Toyo Open Country AT tires, but at a lot less of a cost. So far, they have made it 10k on my 06 chevy duramax and look like they will go 40-50k. Did fine on last years elk hunt in the snow and mud. My friend liked them so much, he put them on is 05 3500 Dodge Cummings.

Personally, after having mud tires on my truck, I will not go back. The performance of the mud tire was not much better in the mud/snow than the ATMs I have now on there and the ride is sooo much better. Just my .02

Toyo mudders and the bfg km2. cannot be beat!

NO GUTS, NO STORY!!

4b1db2ac644136c4.jpg

I have an 07 F-350 wiyh Toyo open country MT's and got 40,000 on them, I am putting new ones on this Saturday. I did get 1 flat on them.

Hey ducks;

If you haven't committed yet, check out the Toyo M-55. They're a heavy duty truck tire for pickups. Pretty much bullet proof, good wear & great traction. I just put on my third set.

2500 HD

Hey drannan,
You & kilo better get together & tell tire stories,lol!}>}>}>

I love not acting my age,
Damn I love my NASCAR race,
And Hell yes I love my Truck!

The Toyo open country M/T's are by far the worst tire I have ever owned. I had them in a 33 on one truck and only got 25000 miles out them, just went back to the bfg's. I also have them in a 37 on another truck and with 10k miles on those tires I am already at half tread. Toyo said they would warranty the 37's when I get down to nearly bald tread and prorate a set of new ones for me, so the warranty is nice but they wear like crap.

>The Toyo open country M/T's are
>by far the worst tire
>I have ever owned. I
>had them in a 33
>on one truck and only
>got 25000 miles out them,
>just went back to the
>bfg's. I also have them
>in a 37 on another
>truck and with 10k miles
>on those tires I am
>already at half tread. Toyo
>said they would warranty the
>37's when I get down
>to nearly bald tread and
>prorate a set of new
>ones for me, so the
>warranty is nice but they
>wear like crap.
+1
I hate these toyos. they wear terrible. Anybody try the yokohama geolanders? They don't look as cool as the toyos but wear 100 times better and would go just as many places. And they are cheaper. BFG ATs suck ass

I have run many tires over the years. The last ten years I was running BFG's switched two years ago to Toyo and found them far superior.They have built in sipping a heavier load range and have out performed the BFG's on mileage, noise, wear, and traction. The only surface where I found them equal was on lose dry dirt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom