Mule Deer 141-145 or 151-156

I've searched and read quite a few posts about these two areas and am considering applying for one or both of them for my girlfriend. She has 5 points and after our botched backpacking Region G Wyoming hunt (don't bring newbie with you regardless of what they say) last fall, she is still working on harvesting her first buck.

I haven't been in either of these areas. We have cow elk hunted in the big 06's and 061, 071. For those that have hunted these areas, which would you lean towards as a slight favorite, or would they be considered too similar?

We have a UTV for two track trails and can also backpack in as well. So we can hunt from base camp and return to it each day, or spend a few days/nights on the mountain.

Just looking for opinions/info on terrain, access to areas, etc.

I spent some time in Area 14 in the middle and northern part of Diamond Peak three years ago. This was during the archery season and I personally had a rough time. The horses have seemingly overrun the area and I was shocked to see cattle darn near towards the top of the range. I bumped a few dinks and does but no mature muleys were spotted. I stayed on the east side of the range.

The harvest success rate for the rifle season in 2022 was 50% so there's some hope there. I have no experience with Area 15.

Access in Area 14 was very good. Just make sure you have good tires especially when it rains as some of the trails can get pretty muddy.

Lots of hunters in 15. Plan on spending some time to find deer here. You can find answers to your particular questions in the unit descriptions.

Many trophy deer throughout the state, just getting more difficult to find them with the added interest in hunting in general...I think this stigma crosses borders. Most I know will stay silent. As FD said, research and scout if you can...ability to pack in is huge in wilderness areas, just look into the Outfitter's prospects!...horses. I would base off of NV stats that meet your hunt and expectations and take a shot. The middle ranges/units are always popular.

Drew 14 a few years ago and learned nobody hikes. We hunted 4 days and never saw a single hunter out of their sxs or truck

I have hunted both units and in my opinion I think they are about the same, meaning I think you will see about the same caliber of bucks on both units.

I will say this, this group is very helpful. I owe my success in this unit to folks here, one member especially who also was hunting and put his focus on helping my son and I. It will be a lot easier to get info (in private messages for the details) once you’ve drawn the tag. If it’s put on a public forum that an area is good or bad it will influence a lot of peoples decision to apply to those areas or not. The nice thing about Nevada is there are trophies all over the state. I know you’re not asking for coordinates to the monster buck so as for your question I’d say it’s a typical Nevada unit. There are quite a few roads most in good to great shape in the areas I hunted. There was some steep terrain for sure. It took my son and I an hour to go a short distance to pack my deer out to the utv and I’m a wildland firefighter that hikes with weight for a living. If you draw this tag I’d be more than willing to share more info

All of this information has been helpful. I appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts and experiences. Between the three cow elk hunting trips spending the most time in 062, 066 and 071, I wasn't really seeing the type of deer I'd plan on going after in those units understanding the number of hunters that would be there as well. 14 and 15 are higher on my list for her and I have a few others for later choices.

Firedad, I completely agree with you on how great this site is with helping each other out. When I drew 061/071 I had never set foot in it and through PM's got helpful info and even spoke on the phone with some members getting detailed info on where to focus hunting. After one of us was successful and headed home, I provided real time data to another member that was heading out to hunt and he and his buddy were both successful.

After reading your last post and your first post more carefully, I would say that you are not going to see anything in 14 or 15 on an average day that you wouldn't see in 062, 066 or 071 on an average day. There are some big bucks around in all those units, and they all take a great deal of knowledge of the area and time to find. Good luck.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom