Mule Deer 62 VS 70 Rifle

stillwaitin

Hey Guys, Might be a long shot but curious about people's opinions on 62 vs 70 for a 2nd rifle deer tag. I have 4 points but my BIL that I will be hunting with only has 2. These are the two units were are deciding between. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

If you can go 2 years in a row, or hunt 1 after another, he can pull 2nd season tags this year, and you are in a position to draw 3rd season. Maybe you make 2 hunts out of it, instead of one. Just go along and help the other guy on each hunt.

Geographically, they’re very different units. 62 has more big canyons, with Giant oak brush, Aspen, all the way down to PJ and Sage. 70 has quite a lot of lower, PJ and sage country.

You could get 1 tag in 62 and 1 in 70. It is a 9-day season. Depends on how you hunt I guess? If you always hunt together then that would work, if you prefer to hunt alone and spread out then that would not work as well.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. We are still going back and forth. We don't need a trophy hunt or anything, just an opportunity to see a decent amount of deer and have a good time. We would prefer to hunt the same unit but nothing is off of the table.

Thanks guys, I appreciate the feedback. We are still going back and forth. We don't need a trophy hunt or anything, just an opportunity to see a decent amount of deer and have a good time. We would prefer to hunt the same unit but nothing is off of the table.
What did you decide to do and how did it go?

Neither unit is high demand. Originally 70 was but then they changed their minds and issued more tags. It’s a good unit but not trophy. And 61 is a bit more higher demand but not 62

IMG_1566.png
IMG_1567.png

Only 4th season 70 would be high demand. But I don’t believe that season was included in high demand before this year. They put that on hold many years ago. But they are updating this year.

Ok. Sorry, I have hunted 70 4th season and it was high demand when I drew the tag. 61 would be a good hunt. I guess the hunts I have been putting in have all been high demand so I shouldn’t see much of any change. I did when they originally shifted to 25%. Good luck this year!

If you want to hunt together probably 61, 70 is forecasted as needing 4 points to draw the 2nd season this year according to the magazines. If I remember right CO does not average points so if that is correct you'd be looking at working with your buddy's three point which probably won't even get second season 70 if your a NR. At least from what I've read.

You won't draw unit 70 3rd season with only 4 points. It was only 33 percent last year and will be worse odds this year. Will most likely take 5 points.

You won't draw unit 70 3rd season with only 4 points. It was only 33 percent last year and will be worse odds this year. Will most likely take 5 points.
This is great advice, they cut nonresident tags by 10% and then if you throw in standard point creep and the threat of a completely revamped draw in '25...............................

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom