Mule Deer Meetings Scheduled

mightyhunter

Very Active Member
A couple of meetings have been scheduled on short notice in both Cody, Wyoming and Powell, Wyoming for G&F to present information on the current status of the Clarks Fork mule deer herd and also the Shoshone mule deer herd. This is after the many changes made by The G&F with season dates and license limitations that took place in 2018. https://www.powelltribune.com/stories/game-and-fish-schedules-mule-deer-meetings,37493
This link should give you the information concerning those meetings. Three deer seasons have come and gone since the decisions were made by G&F. Please attend. Just sayin...mh

See ya there @mightyhunter

Are you providing popcorn?

I am going to sit and listen to see what they have to say. I quit hunting those areas for deer so i have no legit info to share

I pulled up the G&F website to get more info on the mule deer meetings scheduled for Powell and Cody. It would appear that Tony Mong will be the man presenting details on the changes that have occurred since the modifications made in 2019, 2020 and 2021 concerning mule deer in the area. A quote from the notice “We invite the public to attend a local meeting to learn about how the mule deer populations around Cody and Powell have responded to those changes and how to move forward based on this information.”

I think hunter harvest of mule deer in these units has always been minimal. There was an uptick in guided hunters for mule deer on the Upper Shoshone Mule Deer after the G&F changes with regard to elk hunting in the area. I have been told by G&F employees that deer populations have been hurt by drought, winter kill, poor forage on winter range, and by CWD. In the same year, I was told by Tony Mong that winter kill was minimal and fawn recruitment was up. During the same year, I was told by a warden just the opposite. In 2019, I was told by a senior biologist that the problem was CWD. That was during a chance encounter in the Upper Sunlight.

The three general mule deer seasons in 2019-2021in 106 were totally different. In 2019, there was some cold weather early in the season which did not result in any large migration. In conversing with G&F at a temporary check station on the Chief Joseph I was told that harvest was almost all yearling bucks. In 2020, there was some serious cold and snow at the tail end of the season. This resulted in a larger harvest of Class 2 mule deer bucks. In 2021, no serious cold or snow appeared in 106. It was summer camping weather. There was minimal movement of mule deer onto 109. I hunted 106 heavily during the season. I was curious as to what I would see. Because the weather was so mild, I spent the bulk of my time hunting in 106 in the Area south of Sunlight Creek. I did not see a single deer in 106 until October 20th. That day, I glassed up two yearling bucks migrating. Later that day, I had a three year old 4x4 buck appear in shooting range. I took this buck. Large body and average dark horns.
I have heard that the harvest in 106 was really bad. If you want to know what was harvested in 2021, look at the K Bar Z Facebook page. It looks like a lot of 1-2 year old bucks. I heard of a single trophy buck being taken on the last day of the season not far from the border with YNP. I heard the LE 105,106, 109 in 2021 was a disaster.

I am hoping people will attend the meetings to discuss what they observed in the Upper Shoshone drainages. I took a friend in there just before the season ended. We saw a single 3 year old buck. I heard very little gunfire.

I just want to attend these meetings to found out if anything was accomplished by the changes implemented in 2019. I know that G&F will argue there has not been enough time to tell. They may say that they lack the funds to study the predation on these deer. I just want to know if the changes made did anything. Because of the differences in the hunting conditions during 2019, 2020 and 2021 this should be interesting.

Just sayin...mh

I went to the meeting last night in Powell. The presentation was good. There were lots of red shirts in attendance and I would say the public was well represented.

It would appear that fawn recruitment is up in both the Shoshone and Clark’s Fork herd. The 2021 harvest information and the JCR were not available. I was focused more on the Clarks Fork herd and units 106 and 105. Tony Mong indicated that mule deer hunting in 106 during the general season was almost non-existent in 2021. A presentation on CWD was also given.

I raised some issues that were not adequately responded to. In 106 I mentioned that the harvest was mainly yearling mule deer bucks. The G&F stats suggested otherwise. Unfortunately, I reminded Tony Mong of a conversation we had in 2019 at the Chief Joseph check station. It was right before the end of the General. He told me that he had checked 9-10 yearling bucks and a single mature buck. Because of the shortened season, I usually only see yearling bucks towards October 24th. I have seen what is being harvested and it isn’t mature bucks.

A local outfitter mentioned that the season now closes before even half the mule deer bucks have migrated through 106. That is spot on. The season date becomes a green light to whack yearlings. That is what is moving through the area during the new season.

I suggested they go back to the old season through the 31st. I also suggested a 4 pt minimum for two years only. Last, I suggested they open 106 to any whitetail through November 15th and even the whole month. Get the damn things out of there.

Just sayin...mh

Last edited:
I was very impressed with the info/data they presented. Much more info was given compared to 3 years ago when we went. 3 years ago they also had their minds made up before they even took public input.

Most frustrating thing I saw last night was the return on harvest surveys. Between residents/non-residents the average was 44 percent.

The recommendations i left with was a longer season on the type 1 tags. With only 25 tags currently extending would be nice and would be literally little impact.

I also suggested the whitetails need attention. I love whitetail hunting but they are getting high up in the wilderness. Over the summer i found a lot of whitetails. I would just text Tony Mong on my reports over the summer.

I also left a note on my survey before making choices on CWD i hope to god they look at other states to see what they did and look into their data.

It might be worth having a Type 3 whitetail hunt in 105, 106, 109. The late season GEN antlerless also seems excessive even though it’s private land only, maybe that should be like 25 licenses only?

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom