mule deer scoring questions

K

ksbuckhunter

hey all, just a few dumb questions, if someone can help me out i'd appreciate it. I see in a lot of stories guys will say 35 inches of mass(or 40 or 38,whatever). How is this score figured?
I assume it is the circumfrences added up. Also i see a lot of gross scores listed. Is that mainly with typical deer only? Or would the gross score of my nontypical muley be the total score plus the deductions? Like i said........kinda ridiculous, but keep in mind i live in west KS......news travels slow out here.
Thanks,good hunting.

ksbuckhunter:

Not dumb questions at all. I'll try and clear up some of your questions one at a time.

1. When someone says the buck had 40 inches of mass, they are probably referring the circumference measurments of both antler sides. As you may already know, there are four mass circumference measurments for each respective antler side.(Ex-Right side H1-6, H2-5, H3-5, H4-4=20"/left side-assume the same -R20+L20=40" total)

2. Gross scores are respective scores BEFORE symetry deductions. The gross score in either a typical or non-typical classification will always be higher because no deductions have been subtracted. It's been more common of late for hunters to give a gross score, which some feel is more reflective of what the antlers really look like. However, the NET score is the ONLY one entered into B&C or P&Y. So, your gross score of your non-typical (which is a hog) is higher than what the offical entered score will be once it has been accepted into P&Y.

Hope that wasn't too confusing. If you have any other questions, visit the P&Y website (www.pope-young.org) and look at a scoresheet to better understand the system. Good luck and hope I was able to help.

BOHNTR )))------------->

Thats what i thought......thanks. In that case he has 36 1/2" of mass and gross scores 210 6/8.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom