Mule deer vs turkeys?

jims

Long Time Member
I thought it was noble for Kansas to step up and cancel their fall turkey hunts in 2023 due to documented “consistent declines” in turkey populations over the last 15 years, the state's Department of Wildlife and Parks said in a statement.

Most states across the Midwest and West actually offer hen tags in the fall which seem pretty contradictory to trying to enhance turkey populations.

You may ask why I bring this up in a mule deer forum? Well, it's pretty evident that the mule deer population across the Western US has also been on a decline over the past 10 to 15 years but there doesn't seem like there have been drastic measures taken. Eliminating doe tags seems to be a no-brainer that may benefit mule deer populations. Hopefully states step up to the plate like Kansas has done with turkeys and make the right decisions that benefit mule deer!

How about cancelling spring bear hunting in Montana....like Colo? The bears sure like the idea!

I’m all for a state wide archery only season. I love rifle hunting as much as the next guy but something needs to change.

Are you saying only archery no rifle or muzzleloader seasons, or you saying no units for archery all statewide?

Archery only. August 15th-oct 31. On general units. Then have them be “LE” for Nov 1-15…any weapon. I’m tired of guys killing “meat bucks”. There aren’t enough mule deer to sustain everyone’s freezers and it’s fiscally detrimental. Unless you are shooting a cow elk less than 50 miles from your house in 1-2 days of hunting with a hand-me-down rifle—-you are fiscally upside down hunting for meat. The last time someone went to a nice steakhouse and tried to order mule deer was never ago——-God gave us angus cows for a reason.

And if you still convince yourself that shooting an 18 month old buck is for you, then get within bow range or burn your points.

However, young deer are far better table fare than a nasty old 5 year old. Thanks anyway, but I’ll shoot what I want with my license.

Back on topic, it’s my hypothesis that turkeys out compete mule deer. Here the population’s are on opposite trajectories. Reason #99 for why there are no mule deer. (That’s sarcasm for the hard of hearing)

What number on the list is the dudes that shoot 5 deer a year for sport?

Last edited:

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom