Mules; what do you know about them???

• Thread starter graybeard (Guest)
  • Start date
G

graybeard (Guest)

I'm considering the idea of buying a pair of mules for riding and packing. I know they're fairly expensive. What's the difference between the different types, quarter horse/mule, arabian/mule, thoroughbred/mule? Difference between john and molly (male/female) as far as behavior? Any info would be helpful, Steve

They are all pretty much individuals. a good friend of mine who does a lot of packing says you have to go through 2-3 mules to find one that is really a keeper. That is unless you get lucky the first time.

Beanman

Gay,

On a more practical note. Here are some questions you might ask yourself before you buy. How well do you know the guy and why is he getting rid of two really good mules? Do the mules have previous owners that you could talk to? Usually all rides have some quirks or things you should know about them, what makes them spook, how well do they cross obstacles such as water or fallen logs. Things like those are probably more important than what the parents were.

Beanman

"How well do you know the guy and why is he getting rid of two really good mules?"

Well said Beanman

Graybeard,

I just read my last post and realized I dropped the 'R' out of Gray. It was not intentional, sorry.

BeanMan

I have used mules in the backcountry for about 8 years and as stated, there are good ones and bad ones. Temperment of the animal usually relative to that of the mare(mother) of the mule. There is no comparison between horses and mules on a steep narrow or slick trail. I ride a mule almost exclusively. We have 16 mules and have been breeding and selling them for several years. They are a bit expensive because they take 4x longer to train. If you have some patience you can buy a packing mule for $1000 that is gentle but to get one you can ride is about double.

Nimrod

I have been riding mules for twenty years, Iv'e learned a few things. A short backed mule is one to look for. A spoiled mule can be brought around but I don't recommend it. A tall mule is not near as handy as a shorter mule in the real rough stuff.

Why is someone selling a good mule? I could go on and on but the most important thing is a bad one can kill you, and you can't change a bad mule. A good mule is the best ride you will ever have, they are smart and they catch on to what you do and do it better.

Mulehound.

what mule hound said. i've had some horses that are real good. have one now that you can't buy except for an insane price. but he's sorta the exception. a good mule is usually better. if you can find one that's been raised in the rocks, you're better off. flatlander spoiledassed mules with a fancy pedigree are just a rodeo lookin' for a place to happen. not many folks are cowboy enough to get a mule to do what they want em to do. but a good one is a thing of beauty for sure. be careful and don't get took. i saw one for sale the other day for $35,000. yes thirty five thousand. from what they said, he was worth it. i think he could even drive the truck. one thing my grandad always told me was that mules are just like people, they're all half jackass. that's the half you have to look out for.

Definately ask the why are you selling question. Keep something in mind, mean mules are accurate (kicking). Watch it! Stay away from the arab mixes. Have fun.

The biggest difference between horses and mules is that a horse may hurt you bad... a mule most certainly will eventually. Maybe today, maybe tomorrow or maybe in 10 years but he will get you.

With a horse it's "If" you get hurt... with a mule it's "When". No if's about it my friend.

In the rough, they are unbeatable. The upside to a good mule is very impressive. The downside to a bad mule is too long to discuss. The internet would run out of space.

Best advice I've ever heard was from an old mule guy. He said simply, "Mules aren't for everybody."

You better decide if mules are for you amigo. Best of luck.

if youre just gonna pack with them,try llamas,a lot of guides are using them now.they carry good wieght,are real good in the hills dont kill you and you can eat them with a relitivly clear concionce in a pinch.

As an ex-farrier, I would try to get ahold of the owners farrier and ask him/her about the temperment of the animals. Like what was said above, mules are very accurate at kicking. So stay away from the feet. While I was shoeing, I shod lots of mules and lots of horses and I would much rather shoe a mule than a horse any day. Mules are a lot more comfortable on the rider than horses and are more sure footed. All else said, good mules are great, but bad ones are tons worse than bad horses. One of your best bets is to get a mule that your farrier likes, because nobody will shoe a bad mule. LOL

muledeernut

>I'm considering the idea of buying
>a pair of mules for
>riding and packing. I know
>they're fairly expensive. What's the
>difference between the different types,
>quarter horse/mule, arabian/mule, thoroughbred/mule? Difference
>between john and molly (male/female)
>as far as behavior? Any
>info would be helpful, Steve
>

Muledeernut,

I agree with much of what you said but one of the generalizations I just can't let pass. You said a mule is much easier on the rider than a horse.

I beg to differ. That is something that depends on the individual animal. Some horses are smoother than others, some mules are smoother than others.

My buddy has two mules, one is smooth as you can find and the other is the roughest riding pig I've ever seen in my life. Riding a jackhammer would be a vacation over this mule.

My quarterhorse is a rough rider, my Foxtrotter is smoother than any mule I've sat on. So if you compare his good mule to my quarter horse, ya he's gonna be alot easier.

You compare his other mule to any horse I've ridden and your statement will prove false.

Smooth riding in my opinion isn't breed specific, it depends on the individual animal.

Don't bother asking my farrier about what mules are good to shoe. He won't trim feet on the best mule in the world for $500 cash. If you say "mule" doesn't matter how much money is in your pocket he's climbing back in his truck. But that's just him and he's probably a wuss. :)

If you want to get somewhere no one else dares ride, a mule is the only way to go. Life is just too short for me to ride one but in the rough a good one is gold.

-Dawg
www.cougartracks.com

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom