Muley or Whitetail Shed Set?

berto

Very Active Member
I have my own opinion, but I would like to hear your thoughts. I found these this spring in an area frequented by both species.

whiteset1.jpg

As they lay

firstdeerset.jpg

No question about it, they are a set!

I would say muley you see alot more muleys with that white tail cofigeration than you do whites with the muledeer config. plus is has small browtines. I guess it could be a hybred.

great find.

MM Member since 1999. Jake H

Id say muley. Although It is possible it could be a hybred, it more than likely is not. Alot of people tend to think that just because a muley has antlers with whitetail configeration that it must be a hybred,(and vice versa) which usally isnt the case at all.
Irl

LAST EDITED ON Dec-11-06 AT 02:46PM (MST)[p]if i saw them separately, i would say the one on 'our' left is a muley, and the one on 'our' right is a whitey....together, don't know...but, definitey nice 'finds'...thanks for the pics...

by the way, 'berto'..what is your opinion?

I personally see more whitetail in them than muley, but I really think he could be a hybrid. Definite characteristics of each species. If the eyeguards were more substantial I'd for sure think whitey.

i would say if that pic is "as they lay", then someone picked them up seperatly and sat them down there and left them

They are mule deer antlers. The beading at the bace is a give away. Whitetails have beading that runs in long lines up the main beam and browtines and mule deer have beading that tends to be short line around the antler.

Antlerradar

I say muley as well.

I have a set just like that of desert AZ mule deer.

Chef
"I Love Animals...They're Delicious!"

>They are mule deer antlers. The
>beading at the bace is
>a give away. Whitetails have
>beading that runs in long
>lines up the main beam
> and browtines and mule
>deer have beading that tends
>to be short line around
> the antler.
>
>Antlerradar

Exactly! Also the burrs tend to be more knarly on muledeer than whitetails.

all,

i agree they are definitely muley sheds. I just thought it was interesting how they have both muley and whitey traits, and given they were in an area where i could find either at any time...

To answer another question: No way did someone find them and lay them together like that. The only reason they weren't found when fresh was they were out in the middle of a wide open, grassy hillside where no one bothers to walk because "everyone else probably already did"...i look for antlers in obvious places like that all the time and do quite well! that same day i hiked another open hillside near this one and found eight sheds laying on it in less than ten minutes time. that hillside was just off the main trail all the hunters hike into this particular area...even i was amazed at how many i found there.

i am surprised none of you spotted the doe muley laying in the background of the "as they lay" pic. she had a broken spine or something similar because she wasn't able to get her hind-end off the ground. to this day i cannot figure out what might have happened to her to cause that.

LAST EDITED ON Dec-14-06 AT 07:15AM (MST)[p]Informative thread guys and nice pictures! I agree with the set being mulie
This one looks like whitetail to me
Cronic wasting disease could be the does problem

Time in the hills is always worth more than money

wyo,

altho there has not been a documented case of CWD in this state as of yet...who knows, maybe she did have it

I was just playing with you guys. Mine is a Sitka Blacktail that I picked up SE Alaska in 95 when I was falling timber there.

IV'E PERSONALLY FOUND AT LEAST TEN SETS LAYING WITHIN A FOOT OF EACH OTHER SO I KNOW THIS COULD BE EXACTLY HOW THEY WERE FOUND!!! ON CHRISTMAS EVE DAY IN 2001 I WATCHED A BUCK DROP BOTH SIDES AT THE SAME TIME WHEN HE STOOD UP OUT OF HIS BED, I STILL HAVE THAT SET. JUST THOUGHT I WOULD ENLIGHTEN YOU. BUCKHUNR

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom