Muzz bullet question

Question. I shot an elk this year at 210 yards. My set up is an T/C encore, leupold ultimate slam scope, 2 pellets triple seven magnum powder, hornady sst 250 gr. bullet. I get great groups, my bull went 12 yards and went down. The question is there was hardly any blood, and the hole was small as the bullet is 45 cal. but 50 ca with jacket. Should I jump to a different bullet so if I need to track there will be a larger hole/blood trail? Just looking for input. Thanks

A couple things come into play... Was there an exit hole? How high up was the shot placement?

sst/sw bullets are famous for leaving tiny entrance and sometimes, small exit holes that leak very little blood.

The Barnes bullets or even the harvester scorpion pt gold sabots are awesome, I'd pick them before an sst/sw.

www.FrontierMuzzleloading.com

No exit hole, found my bullet dimpled in the hide. I shot the bull in the scapula went through part of the heart, through the other scapula and dimpled the opp. side hide. I hope that makes sense.

I have shot three elk over the last two years and two were mature bulls and one one cow with shots ranging at 247, 90, and 196 yards the two shot at 247 and 90 yards were shot with hornaday FBP and the one shot at 196 yards was shot with a Barnes With both bullets had the same result none of the elk went over 80 yards and had very little blood the bull that went the farthest was shot with the Barnes and was a complete pass threw. so I guess with my ramblings I'm trying to say is the bullet did its job and with good shot placement tracking should not be a issue. lets see some pics of your bull

Elk are big critters. It takes a while for the chest to fill up with blood so it starts pumping out the hole(s) you just installed in the chest. I would not expect a deer to get much blood in 12 yards from the shot let alone a elk. I shot a small 5x5 last Tuesday with my Omega (120 gr BH209, 300 gr SST) and it ran 50 yards. It was a shoulder meat/lung shot and blood started in 20 yards from the shot. The bullet performed exactly as I expected. I will use the same setup this weekend on my muley hunt.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom