Muzzle Brake's?

monstermuleyhunter

I have a 300 RUM Sendero that I am puting a brake on and just wanted some input...I have dealt with Brad at Cross Canyon before and he seems to know his stuff and he's $220 but I know Barnes Bullets in Mona does brakes as well for $150 ...I want the best bang for my buck and please keep in mind I am shooting long range if that makes a diff. Any input is appreciated

I cannot comment on Barnes but the ones from Cross Canyon are top notch in every way. Have one on a 7MM and it is perfect.

I would expect Cross Canyon to do a fine job. I do have A Barnes brake, and it is great as well. My Barnes Brake is on a 375 H+H. I think you will be happy with either, and you have already noticed the difference in price.
Bill

I have a few of the Barnes brakes and they've always worked well.
I've punched paper to 1000 yards (it was a damn big piece of paper though. LOL)
I don't have any experience with any other brakes.

Zeke

I have a 300 tejas from Brad at cross canyon arms. My daughter has been shooting the gun since she was 15 years old and about 100 pounds. The muzzle break really works. You can even watch the bullet impact the target threw the scope after the shot. No muzzle rise.
I had no idea barnes did muzzle breaks .

Just a question about these brakes your installing. I had ones years ago on my 300 win mag. I loved shooting it but the noise was terrible. Has this changed since I had one? It was a KDF.

>Just a question about these brakes
>your installing. I had
>ones years ago on my
>300 win mag. I
>loved shooting it but the
>noise was terrible. Has
>this changed since I had
>one? It was a
>KDF.

I have a couple KDF brakes and a few Barnes so I think I can answer your question with one word. NO! They are just as bad as ever.

Zeke

LAST EDITED ON Nov-14-12 AT 06:45PM (MST)[p]I am going to disagree with Zeke on this one. I had a T/C 223 w/ a brake and it would blow your ears off. When I bought My 300 Tejas I got electronic ears to hunt with for it. The kind like hearing aids that turn off when you shoot. At first i used them. Now while hunting I do shoot it with out protection. So I would say that compared to my old T/C the muzzle break from Brad Stair is better then some of the old breaks.
It is not the same for people next to you while shooting it ! Ask my nephew . We where lined up three of us in a row. When I touched it off just after he shot. He knew it !! }>

I have a borden brake on my 300 wsm. I was worried to shoot it with no ear protection. Shooting it and my 270 at the range with my ear protection I couldn't tell an audible difference between the two. With that being said I still didn't want to shoot it in the field with out some sort of ear protection. When the time came to take a shot at my buck this year I didn't get my plugs in before doing so. Granted I probably had a little bit of adrenaline running through me, but I did not hear/feel any after effects from the incident.

I still plan on using ear protection if the opportunity provides. Better safe than sorry.

I'm sure you could be right Big John. I only have experience with 2 brands.

While there might be a slight difference in the Db level from brake to brake, I would NEVER target practice without protection.

As much as it makes sense to use ear protection in the field, I have not. I always carry plugs in my pocket but have yet to put them on in the hunting field. I started using brakes in 1984ish and still have some of my hearing. lol

They are a wonderful device and well worth the money to me. It's the only way I can comfortably shoot some of the bigger guns.

I appreciate the info...I dropped off my rifle at Cross Canyon with Brad the only bummer is he said 4-6 weeks!!! I was like a kid on Christmas Eve getting the gun in the first place and now I must wait a month and a half to move forward? WTF. Hopefully you guys can give me some insight on how long Brad actually takes to get these done.

I'll hijack in here. Do the brakes you have match the standard contour barrels or are they larger in diameter? All the ones I've seen are larger than the smaller contour barrels you find on most production rifles.

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 04:23PM (MST)[p]I have 300RUM Sendero and had a muzzle brake put on by Accubrake. This brake is detatchable, so I only use it at the range. This rifle shoots the same groups with or without the brake. I would never shoot it with the brake on unless I was wearing hearing protection.

BT

I looked up Cross Canyon Arms. Now that's some pretty work.

7908sage_camo_break.jpg

LAST EDITED ON Nov-15-12 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]My one from Borden is on a Hart #3 and it matches with the barrel like the pic shown above. As far as waiting time, I would say get use to it for the most part. What they quote you is probably pretty accurate based on their work load. I waited 6 months for an action from another smith. Definitely hard to do when you're excited for it but something you just have to plan ahead for. For me it was well worth the wait!

It hard to push a artist . :) He does it one way the right way and doesn't cut corners. That's the way you wanted it. He was behind at his other store. I hear they are better stock at the new Cross Canyon arms store, according to Brad. So with that said knowing Brad . I would say more like 8 weeks if your lucky. But he does very nice work!
He has spent a lot of time computer designing the angle that each hole is drilled into the brake. If you ever get down to St. George and want to shoot one of his guns give me a call. I just finished a bunch of AR 500 target to shoot. We have a family shoot out ever year at thanksgiving.

I have a Hollands radial brake on my .338 Edge and all I can say is it is hands down the best brake on the market in my opinion it does a great job reducing recoil Im not sure how much because I never shot the gun with out it but it is by far the best brake as far as noise I have ever been around if there is any increase in decibles its barely noticable. here is the link

http://www.hollandguns.com/

the price is right also at $105.00-$160.00

"WHEN INJUSTICE BECOMES LAW" "REVOLUTION
BECOMES DUTY" unknown

Windage and elevation pilgrim windage and elevation

The Barnes follow the barrel contour as well. They have nice matching fit and finish on the ones I have.
The KDF, while a good brake, is larger in diameter than the barrel and is coutoured, on the close end, to the barrel.

There are tha only ones that I've used so I have no opinion or valuable knowledge of the other brands.

Zeke

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom