muzzle break quyestion

fisrtcoueswas80inches

Very Active Member
my dad wants to get a muzzle break on his 7mm ultra mag i dont blame him, thing kicks like a mule and he can get a lot better accuracy then he is right now. how do these things work? i have heard about people putting them on at the bench, then taking them off in the field. my understanding of them was that it is drilling in the barrel. please correct me, and what can he look for in prices?
casey

spellchecker :)

Most brakes are threaded onto the end of the barrel. So you can screw them on or take them off. Personally I would not trust zeroing with a brake and then taking it off for hunting. It will change the harmonics of the barrel and can adversely(severely) affect the zero.

So they are loud. So I shoot one shot during a hunt. That one shot won't make me deaf. I promise. Have done this many times over the years.

Get the brake, and enjoy. But it is loud so on the bench consider ear plugs and muffs over them. I'd sooner shoot any of my braked rifles with no ear protection than my 357 mag without.

Jeff

I'm in complete agreement with rost495. I have a .300 Ultra Mag and a .375 Ultra Mag, both fitted with Vais muzzle brakes. The Vais is allot quieter than other brakes I've been around, including the Browning BOSS and Barnes brake. Mike Hill in Springville, Utah will install one for $150.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-17-04 AT 07:54PM (MST)[p]Casey,
From the many accounts that I have read, the Vias is the best brake out there. Arizona Ammunition in Phx will install one for $200 (azammo.com) Your dad should be able to find a place in Tucson that will put on a Vias, maybe for less.

Doug/ Red Rabbit

I know from personal experience that my 300RUM shoots different with the muzzle brake off. It groups good with or without the brake but definitely shoots different. I am not sure what type of brake Christensen Arms usues but it is dang loud. However; with the brake it shoots with about the same recoil as a 270. If I shoot off of a bench, hearing protection is a must no matter the rifle. Just a personal opinion. Good luck with your decision.

If you want the recoil of a 270 BUY A 270!!!. If a rifle has to much recoil for you buy a smaller caliber. Muzzle breaks do reduce the amount of recoil but almost alway INCREASE MUZZLE BLAST. To the point of hurting your ears. You will flinch just as bad from muzzle blast as you will from recoil....The 270 or 280 are just to good to suffer with a 30 caliber that you can't shoot...

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom