Muzzle Break

sniper14

Looking at getting a little bastard muzzle break for my 6.5 creedmore. Anyone ever had one and what are your thoughts

Thanks

I have a APA Gen 3 on my 6.5 and love it. Recoil is nothing and there is zero muzzle jump.

Cans are pretty great though if you've got the time and funds.

Each his own but the cost/benefit of noise vs recoil seems like putting mud tires on a Corvette in this scenario.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

If you put a brake on that rifle, be prepared to wear hearing protection on EVERY SHOT. If you don't, every time you fire a round without hearing protection you will loose a small amount of hearing. That hearing lost will accumulate until in later years you will need hearing aids.

RELH

Ain't never been a Man'Bun Gun that needed a Brake!

I know so many people in so many places
They make allot of money but they got sad faces

It Ain't Easy being Me!:D:D:D

>Looking at getting a little bastard
>muzzle break for my 6.5
>creedmore. Anyone ever had one
>and what are your thoughts
>
>
>Thanks

I have no experience with the little bastard muzzle brake specifically. However, the factory brake on my 6.5 Ruger Precision significantly reduces recoil, I mean to the point where I barely feel it. To echo what others have said, it does increase report. So +1 on the suggestions to always wear hearing protection.

You will not make any friends at the range, however. Unless other shooters are at least 15' away from you, the muzzle blast will generate complaints. Prepare to apologize profusely or ask for station furthest away from other shooters. :)

+1 on the hearing protecting on every shot. A break directs muzzle blast back and makes it way louder at the shooters ears. I don't like to wear hearing protection while hunting so don't like breaks while hunting. Taking them off usually affects point of impact, so check the zero if you take the break off to hunt.

I bought a Browning 6.5 that has a brake on it. I use hearing protection unless I'm shooting an animal. I have never noticed the sound. I say do it.

Just my own opinion but putting a brake on a creedmore??? For what reason ? They don't have any recoil anyway. My kids shoot harder kicking rifles , very well !

So medically speaking, what I'm understanding here is that if you don't notice the sound in the field, the hearing issue is good to go. All those combat vets must be hypochondriacs about tinnitus.
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I would echo what most have said. The risk / reward for putting a brake on a 6.5 isn't even close. You won't notice the noise when you're shooting at game but it will cause the same amount of damage to your ears if you don't have protection. The recoil from a 6.5 is 20 % less than a .270 ! (9.9 foot # vs 12# both with 140 gr. bullets). Unless you have a physical disability I would think that would be very manageable.

I just put one on my son's 6.5 and he loves it.. Very easy to put on and take off. The self timing is what really sold me on it.

>Each his own but the cost/benefit
>of noise vs recoil seems
>like putting mud tires on
>a Corvette in this scenario.
>
>
4abc76ff29b26fc1.jpg

I wish we could up vote this.

>I put a brake on my
>.204 ruger. I kickes about
>as hard as my red
>rider now.

my 204 kicks like a redrider with no brake.....

497fc2397b939f19.jpg

I have Vais breaks on my large caliber magnum rifles. Reduces recoil and disperses sound away from the shooter. I've been very happy with them.

rwchunter

I have multiple apa little bastards on my guns and would highly recommend them. I run breaks on all my guns clear down to 6mm creedmoor. Reason being is a break reduces muzzle jump which allows for better follow through and the ability to spot shots.

Coloradoboy

?I put a brake on my .204 ruger. I kickes about as hard as my red rider now.?

That statement matches your handle!!!

Unbelievable

I put a muzzle brake on my 300 winchester years ago and fired one box of cartridges through it without hearing protection. Stupidest thing I ever did. It felt like someone stuck a needle in my ear and I lost 50% of my left ear hearing that day. The fact is, there is nothing in the US that requires a cartridge so large that a muzzle brake is necessary to shoot it.

I'm in the don't see the need camp. My wife and sisters, all who have had very little experience behind a rifle, have shot the 6.5 and aren't bothered in the slightest by the recoil. I can already spot impacts without a brake, so I just don't see the need on that cartridge. Especially with the fact that I don't want to be worrying about hearing protection when I'm hunting.

Of course, especially in rough country, the chamber should be empty. But if you ever use the rifle as a makeshift hiking staff for an occasional climb up steep stuff, the muzzle sometimes is at eye level. Think about an accidental discharge should you have one in the pipe with a break....

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom