muzzle loader loads

muliefanatic

Hi guys how is everyone doing. I have a question for you muzzleloader hunters. My dad and I drew muzzy deer and pronghorn this year. we have not drawn in quite a few years so our muzzy has been collectind dust. we shoot a t/c omega with 250 shockwaves and 100 grains pyrodex. I just wanted to know what other loads you guys might recomend.

thanks

muliefanatic

90 grains blackhorn 209, federal 209A primer, barnes T-EZ 250, rib crusher sabot out of my omega will shoot sub moa. About 1900 fps.

I shoot this load in a TC Encore 209X50
TC Mag Sabot 250 gr.PTX with 140 gr Pyrodex pellets and a 209 primer. It kicks alot but if I cut down on powder I lose accuracy.Ive never used the Barns solids but have seen Elk killed with this bullet and am VERY impressed, thinking about working up a load for the solids.

CC

I shoot a T/C Encore, and use 100 gr BH209 with the Barnes T-EZ 290 grain bullet. This is a great load. After shooting the Black Horn powder you will not want to shoot anything else.

Watching this post... just got a TC Triumph this week and a Tally one piece scope mount and Leupold Ultimate Slam scope coming next week. :) Been putting in for a ML elk tag for a few years now. Told the Wifey if I ever got drawn I would have to buy a ML. Got a unit 15 late cow tag this year! HA! Going to start shooting it a lot! Watching what you all shoot! Gives me a place to start anyways!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-18-11 AT 06:14PM (MST)[p]In my TC Omega with Talley base and Nikon Omega scope I shoot BH 209 100grns 209 shotgun primers and 250 Barnes tmz and now tez's. Shoots 1" groups @ 100yrds and 3" @ 200. I'm using it on my unit 23 hunt for bulls...

Same load as hank4elk's in my TC Triumph. Love the cleaness of Blackhorn, but if pellets is your thing, I also get similar groups with two pellets of Triple Se7en Magnums. The pellets are easier to load the first couple shots, but not quite as nice to clean up, and gets a lot tougher after that...

I think your load is fine, as are the others suggested. You might up the powder a bit to flatten out the trajectory if you plan on shooting over 100

The only pronghorn tag I've ever drawn was for 52 MZ several years ago...was using Omega shooting 250gr Shockwaves in front of 130gr loose pyrodex zeroed @ 150, killed buck at just over 140 quartering toward through near shoulder exiting back ribs...deaded

I would use a heavier solid (such as 290gr barnes) for elk, and up the pow to 150 if accuracy doesn't suffer...have had a couple hunters use this type of load on bulls to good effect out of Omegas and Triumphs at ranges out to 160 or so

Haven't yet had a chance to use the Black Horn, but have heard nothing but good things about it

Anyway, Good Luck and Have Fun!

BH209 is THE powder. I use 120 grains by volume (or 87 grains by weight). I use Barnes TMZ250 and Winchester 209 primers. Sub MOA always and about 2100 fps if I remember right.

wow guys thanks for all the tips. I have not heard of the buckhorn powder. I can't wait to give it a try. This has all been a great help now I know what to start. The load i have shoots good but I know there are new things out there to try out.

guys. i started shooting today I bought some 250 grain barnes ez and 100 grains of pyrodex ( i have lots left over from last time) and 3 shot groups were touching at 75 yards. thanks for all the pointers.

muliefanatic

LAST EDITED ON Jun-28-11 AT 01:00PM (MST)[p]Hope you nail one with your ML! What unit did you draw again?

My load: 110 Gr. trip-7 loose powder and 250Gr. shockwave bonded in slick glide sabot and 209 primer. Groups well out of my Knight Bighorn with a 26" barrel I get 1950 FPS + or -. No results to report with this load. Have taken a cow elk in Colorado ,but used a power belt load for that hunt to be legal.
I have a 2 X 7 leupold on a quick release mount. Hunted with iron sights in Colorado,.....I much prefer the scope. I have no issues with the tripple seven powder. It is easy to clean up and can make 5 shots between cleannings at the range... no problem.
It always fires....with the 209 primer you get good spark!

Good luck
Griz

Does anyone know if Blackhorn 209 is legal to hunt with in New Mexico? I want to say I read somewhere that it wasn't. I use BH out here in Iowa but am wondering if I can use it in New Mexico on my Elk hunt?

>Does anyone know if Blackhorn 209
>is legal to hunt with
>in New Mexico? I
>want to say I read
>somewhere that it wasn't.
>I use BH out here
>in Iowa but am wondering
>if I can use it
>in New Mexico on my
>Elk hunt?

I heard the same thing and looked into the regs. They state that no smokeless powders are permitted. Not sure if BH209 is considered smokeless but I doubt it.

>I heard the same thing and
>looked into the regs. They
>state that no smokeless powders
>are permitted. Not sure if
>BH209 is considered smokeless but
>I doubt it.

I found this in a forum online. It's apparently a response from Blackhorn manufacturer...

Thank you for the e-mail. Blackhorn 209 is classified as PROPELLANT, SOLID, UN0499 the same classification given to all the black powder substitutes. It is not, and can not be classified as POWDER, SMOKELESS, UN0161. It is different.

BH209 generates about the same amount of pressure as T7 and less pressure than the three pellet loads can generate. It is safe in your muzzle loader.

Best regards,
Don Luhr
Western Powders

When NM's 2011-12 Hunting Proclamation initially came out, it specifically identified Blackhorn as an illegal smokeless powder. That raised a ruckess amongst several of us muzzleloader hunters and with the Blackhorn manufacturer. I don't know exactly what was said or what threats were made behind closed doors, but within a week NMDGF blotted out that particular sentence in its online version of the Proclamation. The end result is that Blackhorn is legal to use in NM for all muzzleloader hunting, which is a good thing... ;-)

Plus, anyone that has ever shot it knows it's not exactly smokeless. Close, but not quite...

Throw away the pellet garbage. Blackhorn 209 is FAR better in everyway then any other. It is awesome and with barnes sabots I can shoot 6" groups at 200 yds all day. I am sure some could do better but a huge improvement for me at around 2000 fps. It is the bomb.

Awesome!! Thanks for the updated info. That makes my summer sighting in and shooting much easier and enjoyable.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom