Muzzle Loaders

N

Nim

What is the regulations on muzzle loaders primitave and inlines for hunting in general but for deer and elk ? Thanks Nim

LAST EDITED ON Oct-20-08 AT 05:19PM (MST)[p]You can use what you want in "Any Legal Sporting Arm" season, although I would imagine the .45 caliber minimum would still stand. Apply common sence.

You can use smokeless powder as long as your gun is designed for it, scopes, powder pellets, sabots, etc.

I will be using my T/C Omega with BH209 and 300 gr SST for my general deer season rig.

You can use a lesser weapon in any season *** except the restricted muzzleloader hunts for deer. There you have to use a traditional muzzleloader, no archery or inlines allowed.

"Restricted Muzzleloader (for certain deer hunts)
Any muzzle-loading rifle (including a smoothbore flintlock or musket) using open sights in which the charge and projectile are loaded through the muzzle. Only black powder, Pyrodex, or an equivalent substitute may be used. In-line ignition, pelleted powder, sabots, belted bullets, multiple projectiles and scopes are illegal."

I think there are a couple of mistakes in the the post above. You cannot use smokeless powder. Page 6 in the proclamation says "Only black powder, Pyrodex or an equivalent substitute may be used." I don't think smokeless poweder is not considered an equivilent substitute.

Also, the .45 caliber minimum is for elk, not deer. I didn't look at any of the other species to see what there minimum caliber is.

I would suggest you call G&F and ask them about the smokeless powder.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom