muzzlebreak performance?

Utahn

Was wondering if having a muzzlebreak on my gun will cause loss of performance, fps, energy, accuracy etc. Thanks

It will not change velocity or energy at all. The only way that would happen is if you change the lenghth of the actual barrel. It will effect your point of impact and accuracy because of the reduction in recoil and muzzle jump, but that's the positive side of installing a muzzle break. Seriously consider having a Vais break installed. They are much quieter than any other break I've been around, and they're as effective at reducing recoil as anything else on the market.

I have never seen a Vais brake but have heard good things about them, but as far as other brakes go, you couldn't pay me to have one. They are so loud that you have to wear some sort of hearing protection while hunting or you will pay for it after. Shooting on a range pisses people off cause it is so loud they get jummpy.
If you cannot not handle the recoil without a brake I would consider selling and buying smaller before I would put one my gun. They won't effect accuracy but might reduced fps if they cut the barrel down to install one.
Just my opinion.

Hey where were you guys on the magna-port question on the public forum when I needed some support against breaks.

I don't like the breaks for hunting either. Too loud and not necessary. I've only had one gun change impact points without the break but I know other people who say the barrel vibration or harmonics changed with the break and they had accuracy problems. I never lost any performance that I noticed but I have been covered with pine needles after shooting one prone by a tree.

I hope to have a gun on the way with a vais break next week. Glad to hear the break may be something good even though I plan to remove it after I get a load worked up. I'll put it back on for competition use since I'll wear ear protection.
I agree with the less gun if a break is the only way one would hunt with the gun.

Thanks for the input. At the moment I can handle the recoil fine. I am thinking of buying a larger caliber gun and possible using a break on it. I went to the range yesterday and a couple guys were shooting large caliber guns with breaks and it didn't bother me too much, I felt it more than I heard it.

Each to his own. I like big magnums, I like hunting with them, and I like using the Vais muzzle break to manage them. I don't shoot at a public shooting range nor do I use guiding services, so I don't offend anyone else. I do shoot with hearing protection when I do shoot from a bench regardless of weather I'm shooting a rifle with a break or not. The muzzle blast in the field from a rifle fitted with a Vias break doesn't bother me at all. However, I hate shooting my Browning BAR in the field with the BOSS muzzle break, and I hate being around my cousin even worse when he shoots his .340 WBY magnum with a break installed by Barnes. Good luck!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom