Muzzleloader elk in Utah!

mickeyelk

Very Active Member
I have 11 NRes bonus points for elk and would like to hunt a good unit. I don't believe I have enough points for an early rifle hunt but was wondering how the muzzleloader hunt is? Ie; seeing animals that haven't been spooked entirely from the early rifle hunters and maybe competition with other hunter types, deer hunters! Just wondering, for those who have hunted the state during this season, if they had a good hunt. I don't want to hunt with a bow! Any advise?

i had a muzzy tag in 09 and had a blast. the elk weren't very skittish, when the rut is going on they get back to their routine pretty quick. the only issue u might have with the muzzy hunt is some of the bulls will be busted up but other than that you can expect to have great hunt.

I beleive the hunts dates are going to change this year anyway, your muzzy will be towards the end of September followed by the rifle that will go into the 1st week of Oct.
There will be no more "early rifle" hunt.

http://i764.photobucket.com/albums/xx290/slamdunk_04/E1x1BWINV1-2.jpg[/IMG]

If I am reading it correctly, the proclamation it still indicates that the muzzy hunt follows the early rifle.

The hunt dates aren't scheduled to change until 2011. This year will be archery, rifle, muzzy, then late rifle for the units that have the late rifle hunt

I drew a muzzleloader tag last year (09). I had a great hunt! Seen a ton of elk! There were some deer hunters around but once I got down into some canyons and away from roads, I was all alone. Bulls were still bugling pretty good too. Great experience, great hunt!!
Good Luck to you with what you decide.

Don't be afraid to go muzzy! It is a great hunt! True some of the bulls may be busted up, but I have not seen that too often actually. As long as your competent with your muzzy out to 125-150 yards you should have no problem killing a decent bull. In my experience the muzzy hunt has been the best hunt the last 2-3 years. Good luck!

I helped a good friend on his hunt on the Manti muzzy hunt in 09, we called several bulls in to 30+or- yards with very little breakage. Had some deer hunters but none that were in our way ended up killing a nice 353 bull 6x7.Nice weather, good company and a great hunt.

Bearpaw Outfitters

Experience world class hunting for mule deer, elk, cougar, bear, turkey, moose, sheep and more.

Wild West Outfitters

Hunt the big bulls, bucks, bear and cats in southern Utah. Your hunt of a lifetime awaits.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, shiras moose and mountain lions.

Shane Scott Outfitting

Quality trophy hunting in Utah. Offering FREE Utah drawing consultation. Great local guides.

Utah Big Game Outfitters

Specializing in bighorn sheep, mule deer, elk, mountain goat, lions, bears & antelope.

Apex Outfitters

We offer experienced guides who hunt Elk, Mule Deer, Antelope, Sheep, Bison, Goats, Cougar, and Bear.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer high quality hunts on large private ranches around the state, with landowner vouchers.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear, cougar and bison hunts in the Book Cliffs and Henry Mtns.

Lickity Split Outfitters

General season and LE fully guided hunts for mule deer, elk, moose, antelope, lion, turkey, bear and coyotes.

Back
Top Bottom