Muzzleloader legality, Bone Collector

LAST EDITED ON Feb-26-15 AT 06:02AM (MST)[p]Yes, they are legal. Your best bet on bullets would be the Hornady FPB or the Thor bullets. Not sure if you can shoot Blackhorn 209 powder with this breechplug/rifle, but if you can, that is the way to go. If you can use BH 209, you need a magnum 209 type primer such as CCIM 209, however, I use Remington STS primers with success.

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-15 AT 08:56AM (MST)[p]Great, then I would start at 90 gr of BH 209 with a Hornady FPB. 300 gr if hunting deer, and 350 gr if elk.

You will need a short bullet starter like this:
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thom...llet+starter&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

The FPB bullets have a rear bell on them that is bigger than bore size. You first drop them into the QLA, then use the starter with a hornady loading tip and give the bullet started a "whap" with your palm to get the bullet started and size it to your particular rifle bore. You can then push it the rest of the way down with your ramrod and a loading tip. I bought the special ramrod with a "T" handle for easier pushing:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Thom...rod+t+handle&WTz_l=Header;Search-All+Products

FYI, you don't need magnum powder charges with this combo. My elk load is 95 gr BH 209 with the 350 gr Hornady FPB. BH209 is aprox 15% stronger than blackpowder or pyrodex. It is not safe to exceed 120 gr due to this. And when I get above 100 gr of powder, the recoil gets too much for me. Why do that to yourself when lower charges are more than enough powder.

That is a good load that I have killed 4 elk with , but once you are up and running you might want to explore the Thor bullets (solid copper). 300 gr is plenty for up to elk because of the solid copper construction

txhunter58

venor, ergo sum (I hunt, therefore I am)

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom