Muzzleloader Pistols - 50 cal

elkshooter

Another question for you guys....

I'm new to this muzzleloader thing and in my earlier post I mentioned that I'm looking for a cheap muzzleloader rifle to double hunt a mulie while overlapping with elk in Colorado this fall (assuming I'm drawn, etc)

In thinking about the proposition of carrying a rile and a bow at the same time, the thought occurs to me that will be cumbersome at best and may not offer the best way to harvest either species. So, I got to thinking that perhaps strapping a muzzle pistol to my hip may be better.

My question for you guys with experience is are there any pistols that are accurate(I know, a relative term) enough to shoot a mulie with and which ones would you recommend?

Also, what should I plan on spending for a decent pistol? What would you consider a long range shot for a pistol?

Or, do you think I should get a rifle and deal with hauling both a bow and a rifle around.

Thx

Ok I re-read the other post. I don't know if a ML pistol is legal. In Idaho they are not. If you can use a pistol see if you can find a TC scout pistol. They will get the job done. Ron

I have an Encore with a 16" .50 cal ML barrel. Its a fun toy to shoot. Combine a 250 gr Dead Center with 80 gr of 3f T7 ignited by a decent primer and its a hoot. I have a 2x Loopy on top till I get a good scope. But, like many have said, chack your states regs first. Many states say its a no no.

LAST EDITED ON Mar-31-08 AT 12:19PM (MST)[p]A buddy wanted to use his ML pistol on a ML deer hunt a couple years back. Called the NMG&F and they said it was a repeating arm. No Go!

Take a kid hunting. You will enjoy it more than they do!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom