muzzleloader pronghorn

leonard

Anybody have any exp hunting pronghorn with a muzzleloader in Colorado? Im looking at using my points next year in late Oct. I haven't blackpowder hunted much except for whitetails. I'm considering building a light doe or young buck decoy and slipping into 100 yds. When is the rut normally? Thanks for the help and I already have a couple units picked out.

By muzzy season the rut will be over and they might be starting to group up if the weather drives them too. In my part of the world (NW Colorado) the archery and rifle seasons for antelope have ended hence they will be wise but should have calmed down some due to the break in between. Also during the muzzy season 2nd season deer/elk rifle is happening and this can cause issues too. A few folks I have talked to have expressed the difficulty with getting into range with all the activity. In NW Colorado I think the season structure for muzzy is not the best and believe there is room for improvement but even with that I will likely be putting in for a an antelope muzzy tag next year just for the hunt. Good luck on your choice.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I would agree with tailchasers. The bucks should be totally out of the rut by the Oct 21 opener. They also should be herded up in fairly large groups. It's a lot tougher getting close with so many eyes watching you! Depending upon where you are hunting you ought to do fine if you can find some broken up country for stalking.

I'm not exactly sure why they have the muzzy antelope season during the 2nd rifle deer/elk season and rifle antelope season during the rut? Seems a little backwards if you ask me?

Thanks Guys - The unit I'm looking at limits both elk and deer hunters in the 2nd season. And its fairly broken country but heavy snows are likely. I'm just not willing to wait another 8 yrs to try and draw a rifle tag.

It's a tough hunt but one of the most rewarding for me. The bucks were all together that year during my hunt. Two years ago I had the muzzy tag and chased the same buck for 4 days before finally taking him at 190 yards. I was pulling cactus out of my chest and forearms for a month from all the belly crawling but it was worth it!

Shooting much over 125 yards will be my limit. If I get a tag I would be shooting a tc new englander 50 cal with peep sights. I assume most of the hunting would spot and stalk. Is there any tricks besides staying out of sight and downwind to close the distance? This unit has lots of draws and big basin sage to stay out of sight.I've never pronghorn hunted before and could use to read some books.

I'm not exactly sure which unit you are hunting but it sounds like potentailly lots of snow somewhere in Western Colo? If so, antelope may migrate miles...they don't particularly like high elevation and deep snow? Access may also be an issue if there is much deep snow? Depending upon where you are some areas with snow can be nearly impossible to access when they get wet and gumbo mud! You may want to bring 4 sets of chains plus a shovel or 2?

Just like hunting any other game in fairly open country...use the topography to get closer...obviously keep the wind in mind. Antelope have about the best eyes of any big game animal and have great noses as well. Don't get in a rush when you find a buck you are interested in. Watch them from a distance...possibly for hours and hours until they make a mistake or offer a route to stalk to muzzy range. You may want a pair of knee and elbow pads if there is much cacti. If it's snowy I would definitely bring white camo.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom