Muzzleloader Question?

pauns08

I just shot my muzzleloader today for about the tenth time i have ever shot it. I was shooting 295 grain powerbelts and 100 grains of triple seven powder (2 50 grain pellets). Is this a good load for deer? I am usually a bowhunter but im going to try muzzleloading next year for deer. Oh ya im shooting a CVA buckhorn muzzleloader with a 1&28 twist.

What kinda groups did ya get?

horsepoop.gif

Disclaimer:
The poster does not take any responsibility for any hurt or bad feelings. Reading threads poses inherent risks. The poster would like to remind readers to make sure they have a functional sense of humor before they visit any discussion board.

That load will work fine if you are getting good groups with it as I think BuckSnort was alluding to...If they are not grouping well, adjust your powder in 5 grain increments until you get good groups - since you are using pellets that may require that you switch from pellets to powder. Good luck!

Horniac

I used that same load out of my 50 Prohunter last year.252 yard shot,a6x6 bull went 5 steps and dropped.That load worked for me.I totaly agree with what Horniac said.Good luck and have fun.(ROD)

Yes, that ia a good load for Colorado. There are so many better choice out there for acuracy and perfomance if you can use sabots. (Barnes,Shockwave,Deadcenter, SST)

>Yes, that ia a good load
>for Colorado. There are
>so many better choice out
>there for acuracy and perfomance
>if you can use sabots.
>(Barnes,Shockwave,Deadcenter, SST)

?....stick with the powerbelts, sabots suk compared to 'em.......

Be careful going much over 100 grains with the power belts. They are designed for no more than that to perform properly. They shoot really well with 85-100 grains of loose powder! Good luck on your hunt!

Chad

In my opinion, a good load is one that groups all the time at a given distance and for deer, still has 800 pounds of energy. A chornograph is a nice item to have to find how much energy you have coming out of your gun, then your approximate effective killing distance can be calculated.

I shot four shots out of my gun at 100 yards and the first two shots were loaded way to hot(3 50 Grain Pellets) then i shot two more shots with 2 50 grain pellets and the first shot was two inches right and level on the height and the second shot was about 10 inches low and two inches right. Why would my second shot be so much lower with the same load? Hey Bragabit why do you think sabots are better than powerbelts? Your the first person i have ever heard say that? Sent you a PM also Bragabit.

Barnes X bullet W/sabot and 2 pellets is a deadly combo! Haven't tried the powerbelts but this combo shoots well and kills like no other we have seen. In my opinion.

Are you trying to find a load using open sights or do you have a scope on it? I found it pretty difficult to analyze groups at 100 yds without a scope. Once you find the most preferred load, remove the scope for state by state compliance.

I use a Knight DISC and found 2-50 grn pellets and 1-30 grn pellet with the 30 loaded first pushing a Swift A-Frame (300 grn)in sabot to be my specific guns favorite. Also, if using sabots load the petals the same way each time.

Good luck.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom